• You cannot reply to this topic

Do you open this hand?

#21 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-January-10, 10:42

Everybody has his own methods of evaluating the hand, but imo, if you play about any NT range of 3 HCP difference, you allways open with the average value, and sometimes with one HCP more or less than the range (good 5 card or 4333).

So when playing 12-14 HCP, you always open with 13, when playing 11-14, you always open with 12 or 13,... If you use another evaluation method, you don't play 12-14HCP, but something else and it should indeed be explained very well in the pre-alert!

I like Richard's system, but with this hand (garbage) and playing with any other partner and weak NT, I open this 1NT.

In the Moscito system where Richard is refering to, where you don't need much to open anything, weak NT isn't that nescessary to bid, even if you'd normally do it. You don't have to call him names, say he can't count and other stuff just because he has a different opinion than you. This is a forum, and if everybody had the same opinion we wouldn't have much to talk about...

So lets all go in peace, open this hand 1NT, say "whatever" if it goes wrong, and read ur rules before using them against the wrong person! ;)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#22 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-January-10, 11:54

From Kaplan and Sheinwold's book:

Open 1NT with 12 points and 2 quick tricks. With 2 1/2 quick tricks you may open a point light; with 1 1/2 quick tricks an opening is optional at best and requires an extra point. Don't open with 1 quick trick or less.

The example hand has 1 1/2 quick tricks and 13 HCP, you can open it, but Kaplan would undoubtedly pass, disliking those two Qxx's.

The need for Aces and Kings is because you may not be playing in NT--this is more likely than with a strong NT. Partner might jump to four of a major or make a penalty double if the opponents intervene. In both of these cases, you need Aces and Kings. For this reason, Kaplan relaxed the quick trick requirement in third seat.

#23 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-January-10, 12:15

Free, on Jan 10 2004, 11:42 AM, said:

Everybody has his own methods of evaluating the hand, but imo, if you play about any NT range of 3 HCP difference, you allways open with the average value, and sometimes with one HCP more or less than the range (good 5 card or 4333).

So when playing 12-14 HCP, you always open with 13, when playing 11-14, you always open with 12 or 13,... If you use another evaluation method, you don't play 12-14HCP, but something else and it should indeed be explained very well in the pre-alert!
You don't have to call him names, say he can't count and other stuff just because he has a different opinion than you. This is a forum, and if everybody had the same opinion we wouldn't have much to talk about...

So lets all go in peace, open this hand 1NT, say "whatever" if it goes wrong, and read ur rules before using them against the wrong person! :D

I never called anybody names :D He has his opinion and I have mine. Then there is the ACBL, which I think we both don't agree with in a lot of ways. But they do make the rules. And just take my word for it, if y play tournaments down here in ACBL land and y do stuff like that, you will not win when director has been called to table. Maybe they'll let it slide first time, but after that y won't for sure. Y can't even play multi here( unless in topbracket and then y have to have complete defense for opps who can refer to it during bidding and taking away all the good stuff from multi ) or canape overcalls or all kinds of cool stuff. Believe me I found out the hard way, actually a few times hehehehe B) It's like opening 2 CL, with a GF hand.
you hold AKQJ1098765432 void void void looks GF to me ;) But y can't open it 2 CL, not that y wud, everybody will probably just open 7 SP, but for argument sake, y open 2 CL, and get to 7 SP and opps X with 3 aces or so. They call director, and y lose.
Why ???? you ask, well y need to have 16 HCP or more to open 2 CL and y can argue till r blue in the face and throw it in front of all commitees, y will not win. No matter what kind of way y use to get to 16 points in r eyes.

Mike :D
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#24 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2004-January-10, 13:40

Can this new software also replace every " y " by "you" or "your"?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#25 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-January-10, 15:52

Don "It's legal to psyche as long as you never do it" Oakie wrote some official interpretaion in the ACBL bulletin: "A bid is presumed not to be a psychic if it is within 1 point of the expected strength and 1 card of the expected length." He doesn't say that outside that range is definately a psychic (or a system violation resulting in a failure to alert), just that there is a presumption that it is. Surely extreme evaluation factors could justify a 2 point deviation.

If Edgar Kaplan (chairman of the ACBL National Laws Commission for many years) would pass or consider passing the example hand, it's legal.

The fact that some directors are not competent or rule to please the Little Old Ladies does not alter the fact that bridge judgement is legal.

Of course the LOL's jump over everything. I was called to a table after a 1NT opening on

S-K H-AJxx D-QJxx C-KJxx

followed by a transfer to spades, leading them to down 2 in 2S when everyone else in the room went plus. The LOL's screamed "DIRECTOR! HE OPENED 1NT WITH A SINGLETON! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT!" even though they had a cold top.

[Reminds me of a time I revoked and the declarer made 13 tricks anyway. He called director and wanted me penalized--I guess he wanted credt for making 9!]

#26 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-January-11, 10:46

Free, on Jan 10 2004, 02:40 PM, said:

Can this new software also replace every " y " by "you" or "your"?

I'll try to make it easier for you next time I write something hehehe.

Mike ;)
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#27 User is offline   AceOfHeart 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-February-04, 22:12

badderzboy, on Jan 9 2004, 03:57 AM, said:

K&R evaluates this hand as 11.00

Sorry for this noob question but
what is K&R?
Make love, not war

#28 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2004-February-04, 22:45

Kaplan-Rubens pointcount is some sort of hand evaluation method, which should give a pretty accurate value, but in some (rare) cases it's completely wrong I've noticed.

#29 User is offline   AceOfHeart 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-February-04, 23:28

so how does the K&R system works like? :D how different isit from the A=4 pt counting
Make love, not war

#30 User is offline   cooee 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-February-05, 03:14

[quote name='hrothgar' date='Jan 9 2004, 12:52 PM'][quote name='badderzboy' date='Jan 9 2004, 11:57 AM'] South
I think that the K+R point count is a quite accurate form of hand evaluation.
In this case, I think that the K+R total (11 points) is much more accurate than the Work HCP measure.

[/QUOTE]
Ok I'LL bite!
What is K+R
I have tried to find some reference to it but cannot.
Thanks from
Cooee

I have just read Kaplan - Rubens.
DSo I will chase that up myself, thanks
Patricia

#31 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2004-February-05, 05:36

To check what the value of a hand is, visit:

http://www-personal....dge/kaplan.html

I once found a site where it's explained how it works, but I can't find it anymore. At the site mentioned above, there's also a description of Danny Kleinman's evaluation method.

Btw, Kaplan Rubens point count is also mentioned as "CCCC".

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users