Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Baby names

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-April-04, 12:53

I see an article in my local paper that in Sweden parents must get the approval of the Swedish Tax board for their baby's name. Good Grief!

The Tax board said no to the parent's choice and they now have to sue and fight the government. They cannot get a passport for the baby, since the baby has no approved name yet.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2007-April-04, 13:00

The US has similar regulations

Traditionally, these sorts of things crop in in cases where someone wants to legally change their name, but the same basic principles apply in choosing a name for a child.

If you don't believe me, see what happens if you want to name your child

01000111011001010111010000100000011000010010000001101100011010010110011001100101

or some such. Alternatively, try any one of a variety of well known obscenities. Admittedly, there is some difference between these examples and "Metallica", but the basic principle is the same.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-04, 14:26

So if your last name was, say, "Wrap", could you name your son "Reynold's" or would the copyrite guys get into it too? :P
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#4 User is offline   nickf 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2007-April-04, 14:33

the french have the same system, or at least they used to prior to the large numbers of north african immigrants in the past 30 years.

You used to have to name your child from a list of the saints names.

In terms of the US, if you want an insight into baby names, read "Freakanomics".

nickf
sydney

#5 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-April-04, 14:45

Of course in many many countries a baby born in that country may not even be allowed to be an automatic citizen of the country of birth. I guess they call it an alien baby.

#6 User is offline   DrTodd13 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-04, 14:55

I remember another case from Germany where the parents wanted to name the kid "Superman" and the government wouldn't allow it. It might have even been a middle name and not the first name.

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-04, 14:57

I was told by a friend in grad school that in Germany, you have to prove that the name is historical - I guess to avoid the waves of Rainbows, Rivers, and Pippin Galadriel Moonchilds. His parents had to look far and wide before they found a record of a Mathias (with one T).

I'm not completely sure I disagree with the philosophy. Of course, my parents chose my names because they were common and not associated with either family in any way (as there weren't going to be any siblings). There's a reason why I don't answer to the common nickname for

Michael.

[Edit - wrote before seeing DrTodd's, strangely enough]
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-April-04, 17:03

Historical, I love that word, it means anything you want it to mean. History is a few minutes ago. :P Are you saying the name must have been used in the past at some point, if so, in the past of what?

#9 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-April-04, 18:16

"California, and the US in general, unlike most countries, one can be given, or legally change one's name to almost anything, provided it is not deceptive or for the purpose of fraud. I once met a man named "Anus". Regardless, one must have a name. California courts have decided that a number is not sufficient. For example "151" would not be permitted, but "One Hundred-Fifty-One" would be. "

I found this random comment on the internet so take it with a grain of doubt. Perhaps someone can find what is legal or illegal in the usa? It does seem that most countries really pry into and control family names, much more than in the USA. Thank you Big Brother. We can only hope the USA catches up with the rest of the world.

#10 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2007-April-04, 20:30

A few years ago, when I did a little bit of work with Children and Family Services, there was a kid whose last name I cannot remember but whose first names were "Golden Brown Pancakes."

There was also a child whose name was pronounced Feh-Mall-ee Jackson. Her mom liked the name the hospital came up with: Female.

There was also a child with another interesting name. Not sure of the spelling, something like Plassentah.

Count one vote for government intervention.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users