BBO Discussion Forums: Some potentially disturbing questions - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some potentially disturbing questions

#1 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-March-20, 22:25

**Disclaimer, just curious about this as it relates to an argument I had with a friend recently, don't read anything into this please**

Not to be morbid but I have a few questions.

1) Would you want to live forever if you could stop the effects of aging at whatever your ideal age is? If not why not, and what would determine when you would want to die?

2) Most would agree that they would want to die if they had some horrifyingly painful terminal disease for instance. What if the disease was not terminal but you were in constant pain? If you would at any point want to die if you had a non terminal disease this would imply that if your quality of life sunk below some level you would want to die. What level would this have to be on a scale of a cold to horrifying everlasting pain?

3) If there were no other considerations (ie, friends and family being sad if you died) would this change your answers to 1 or 2?

4) Would you ever be willing to accept it could be rational for someone to kill themselves if their line in question #2 was lower than yours? What if it was much lower? Is this line a personal decision?

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-March-20, 22:38

lets assume a baby has been born today that will live for thousands and thousands of years.

Lets assume that by say 2080 or 3000 we can advance life at 10 years at at pace.

In other words.......those alive at 3000 have ten years to live productive lives but we discover more medicine to survive until 3020...etc..etc..etc.....??????? every ten years?

Please note this assumes machines and human bio...combining??????

Basically the answer Justin is yes...enough will choose to live for thousands of years with machine parts.

Please note how many choose to live and not die today with machine....artificial parts.......I rest my case

A more important question will be what does human mean?

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2007-March-20, 22:44

I suppose my own answer to this can be summarized from a discussion I had with a friend of mine almost twenty years ago. I'd give the same answer today to his line of questions.

My friend was and is very religious, with very strong views on heaven and hell and the like. I, on the other hand, am a very pissed of atheist, if this is the right word. I do not believe that there is a god, but I'm pissed off because I would prefer that there was. If that makes any sense.

My friend wanted to know why I had left the church and why I did not accept Jesus into my life and all that. His argument at one point was that, if I'm right, it did not matter, but that if he was right, it would, so go with his idea. Makes some sense, I suppose. (I'm getting there...)

Anyway, he asked me what I would think if I died and then "woke up" in Hell. My answer was that I would be elated, because my awareness of a world I love and of people I love would turn out to not have been forever lost to time.

So, I understand the personal decision of the suffering individual to die. I have had very close family members make that decision. However, I personally believe that I would never intentionally sacrifice my awareness of the world that I love or of the people that I love, no matter what the pain, unless I strongly believed that death did not carry such a sacrifice. I have never experienced such pain, however, making my assumptions of myself somewhat meaningless guesses. I also have not for many years believed that death was anything but the end of awareness; back then my answer would be entirely different.

BTW, "ideal age" would be somewhat irrelevant.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-March-20, 22:45

i note kenrexford did not discuss any of my points.. I rest my case.

#5 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-March-21, 01:21

1) Would you want to live forever if you could stop the effects of aging at whatever your ideal age is? If not why not, and what would determine when you would want to die?

I would like to have the Option to live forever, but I would like a get out clause. I think boredom and loneliness would be the deciding factors in the get out clause.

My ideal age would be 22-25 anywhere within this band is accepatable to me, I think it is when you are at your prime

2) Most would agree that they would want to die if they had some horrifyingly painful terminal disease for instance. What if the disease was not terminal but you were in constant pain? If you would at any point want to die if you had a non terminal disease this would imply that if your quality of life sunk below some level you would want to die. What level would this have to be on a scale of a cold to horrifying everlasting pain?

Unfortunately, suicide (mental illness) is in this and to be honest, I doubt I or anyone else really understands why someone that probably has loving parents and family can sink so low as to want to take thier own life, I have sunk low at times in my life but never been suicidal, I thought about just packing my bags and going away and never coming back, but that does not really solve your problems, how low is low, I cant answer this, I find it difficult to comprehend

3) If there were no other considerations (ie, friends and family being sad if you died) would this change your answers to 1 or 2?

as for 1, it would not make a difference, if I were imortal, no one would be sad when I died as that is a contradicion of what I said

as for 2 answer stays the same

4) Would you ever be willing to accept it could be rational for someone to kill themselves if their line in question #2 was lower than yours? What if it was much lower? Is this line a personal decision?

I could understand someone killing them selves, Euthenasia is something I would support the rest of the question, I don't know how to answer

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-March-21, 01:42

I sometimes feel horrified of dying and would very much like to be able to live "forever" (which means a couple of billion years, until the radiation of the Sun changes too much to sustain life as we know it).

I can barely imagine a disease bad enough to want me to die. I'm quite good at escaping from physical pain by concentrating on non-physical things.

I think my cats would have severe problems finding a new house if I died. They both suffer from cronic bladder infection, and one of them is pretty neurotic too. Which is why they were abandoned in the first place. This is another good reason for me not to die within the next few years.

Of course this is all very personal, I don't think it's anyones business to moralize about how other people answer these questions.

I don't think there's anything rational or irational about whatever answers one gives to these questions. Maybe it could be argued that the Justin that lives today is the same entity as the Justin that lives tomorrow only in the sense that the tomorrow-Justin has memories about the life of the today-Justin. Seeing that way, the only things that is lost if Justin dies today (you may think of him being replaced by some baby that happens to be born tomorrow) is Justin's memories, not his sentience. Seeing it that way makes death a lot less worrisome. And in due course, inovations in biotronics will solve the memory problem as well, making "death" an obsolete concept.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2007-March-21, 04:11

Ah the age old question. I think forever is quite a long time indeed, but so much to explore, so much to do... However you will see everyone you love age and die.
But in the end I think there is so much to do, to explore, to learn...

The pluses likely weigh up to the minuses as I am not to kind of person to mourn about the death of loved ones like my grandparents but instead accept the natural process. This is a personal choice, I know.

Quite close to horrifying everlasting pain indeed. Besides in combination with #1 I cannot think that there will be no medical solution for the problem at some point.

I hope that if I take the decision in #2 that my friends will think it was better this way.

Yes, if their desire is really deep and not talked into by someone else (for example a religious leader). My grandmother used to work in a hospital for the mentally ill and there were some suicidal patients there. She said if people really really want to die, they will find a way.

Personally, I think a person has the right to die just as he has the right to live.

This is the one about the ship. Let's say we have a great ship, say the QE2, and it needs repairing. One third of the ship is replaced with new stuff. People will agree it is still the QE2.

Then after a few years, another third is replaced. I think we can still say that the ship is still the QE2. Then after even more years, the remaining old stuff is replaced with new things. Yet, we still call the ship the QE2.

Let's suppose we gather all the old stuff and build the whole ship from that. Now what's that?

So I cannot answer what does it mean to be human...
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-March-21, 05:24

mike777, on Mar 21 2007, 06:38 AM, said:

I disagree. To me, that's an utterly boring question. You can define the word "human" whichever way you please. Sematics, seschmantics. Just like other boring discussions about the meaning of "terrorism", "war", "objective moral" etc etc etc. Yawn.

But fortunately, interests are there to differ, just like tastes. I suppose some would say what I spent my life doing is utterly boring.

Incidently, I do find Justin's questions interesting. Whether they are important, I'm less sure.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-March-21, 05:27

What does it mean to be a broom ?

after 6 new handles and 8 new heads it is still a broom, maybe Triggers philosophy relates the same as being human

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2007-March-21, 06:27

I will be happy to stay here untill god asks me to give up.

#11 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2007-March-21, 06:58

Hi Justin

This isn't (quite) the question that you asked, however, I think that it still might be appropriate.

I think that we are rapidly hitting a point in time at which death is going to become a lifestyle choice. I suspect that the children of the today mega millionaires - for example, Bill Gates' children - might be the first people who won't need to grow old and die. I expect that the medical advances over the next 20 - 30 years will be sufficient that they will be able to hold off many of the ill effects of aging for as long as they want. Personally, I don't think said benefits will trickle down in time for folks like me to benefit. In part, this will be an issue related to cost and the rate of technological diffusion. However, even if the technology became available I suspect that social pressures would prevent widespread adoption. Simple put: The planet can't support large number of immortals. (Imagine the population pressures that this would create). However, if and when this type of technology does become available I suspect that societal norms about suicide are going to chance dramatically.

Personally, I don't think that I would want to live forever. I'm only 40, however, a certain amount of ennui has already set in. Who knows: If I could have the same body (and hormones) that I had when I was 21 I might feel differently.

(For what its worth, I don't see anything wrong with suicide)
Alderaan delenda est

#12 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-March-21, 07:21

No, I wouldn't want to live forever. I would get bored eventually.

Yes, I would want to die if my quality of life sunk below some level. I have a disease which makes this very likely, and I've given this a lot of thought.

No.

Absolutely yes, I've given it a lot of thought for myself.

Peter

#13 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-March-21, 07:24

hrothgar, on Mar 21 2007, 07:58 AM, said:

(For what its worth, I don't see anything wrong with suicide)

Well, that's the whole trick isn't it? I don't want to die of natural causes, when I can end my own life any time I want. The real choice isn't to live forever, it's to live until we end our own lives.

As far as the question, I don't know...there's a prisoner's dilemma here. If we all decide to live forever, there will either be starvation or no children. I would be willing to put an upper limit on age if in return it meant that humanity would continue to exist. Otherwise, no, I see no reason to limit myself.

#14 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2007-March-21, 08:16

Jlall, on Mar 20 2007, 11:25 PM, said:

Interesting.....

1-No. I expect to be able to graduate from this school (of life) at the point where I have understood all those things that I have to deal with.

2-Suicide denies you the right to experience the life that you were given. No pain would deny me that right.

3-No

4-You arrived here with a plan so you just have to be the man.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2007-March-21, 09:32

I try not to think too much on this questions because my mother died in december after a month were we all knew she was going to die in pain (she did)

writing the above sentece was enough to make me sad *****.

nevermind what I wanted to say is:
-if you live forever THEN you'll be famous
-if you are famous THEN there is a chance someone wants to kill you
-a small chance over an infinite time is a 100% succes
-so you can't live forever.

Now knowing I cannot live forever, then I would be happy to live for as long as I can.

#16 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-March-21, 10:05

If you haven't already done so, read "Time Enough For Love" by Robert Heinlein.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#17 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-March-21, 10:31

Jlall, on Mar 20 2007, 08:25 PM, said:

**Disclaimer, just curious about this as it relates to an argument I had with a friend recently, don't read anything into this please**

Not to be morbid but I have a few questions.

1. Put the "God" question aside for a second. If you believe in some form of an afterlife, or reincarnation, you believe that the soul is eternal, even though life as we know it ends at some point. By the way, I love my life, and if there was a way I could completely stop the effects of aging, I'd want to live eternally here.

2. Pain control is much more advanced now, than say, 20 years ago. Suicide is the ultimate personal decision, but it takes such a toll on others. I'd be surprised if most people haven't casually thought about the idea of offing themselves at one time or another in their lives. The level or pain or misery would have to be pretty dire for me, and in my own mind I'd want to explore every possible option for dealing with it before scrapped my life.

3. Yes, probably, but this feeds on itself. If you don't have a support structure around, you are more apt to consider extreme measures like suicide.

4. Suicide is never 'rational' by definition (I'm putting this in a Maslow context). However, it is a personal choice, and if you believe in personal freedom, then you have to believe in someone's right to take their own life. That being said, I think life is a beautiful thing, and its a horrible thing when suicide happens.
"Phil" on BBO

#18 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-March-21, 10:51

"Suicide is never 'rational' by definition (I'm putting this in a Maslow context)"

This is entirely dependent on which definition you choose.

There are many people who think it's rational under certain circumstances, and many others who disagree.

Peter

#19 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-March-21, 10:55

pclayton, on Mar 21 2007, 11:31 AM, said:

4. Suicide is never 'rational' by definition

I would consider someone who was suffering horribly with a terminal disease and did not opt to kill themselves irrational.

edit: I'm now reminded of David Stove, an arch-rationalist if one ever existed, who hanged himself in a similar situation.

#20 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2007-March-21, 11:19

As far as the question, I don't know...there's a prisoner's dilemma here. If we all decide to live forever, there will either be starvation or no children. I would be willing to put an upper limit on age if in return it meant that humanity would continue to exist. Otherwise, no, I see no reason to limit myself.

This is quite a horrible suggestion. Consider that if the government to reduce cost on healthcare decided to "get rid" of everyone over the age of 80. Don't worry, humanity will take more to eradicate than living forever (isn't that a contradiction?)
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users