• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Classification of players Another player classifiction is in order

#1 User is offline   Hesham90 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-February-03, 20:22

[FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]Hi all
Many of the players on BBO at the name and e mail boxes just keep it as private , well that’s ok , what I hope is BBo can add at the name line (at the end of the line) one small icon referring to gender .
I hope you do not look at this as sex discrimination, but my idea comes for three reasons, which I think, are quite ok :rolleyes:
1- If I can tell your gender I can talk you more appropriately and refer to you (he /she) in amore accurate way and that should be nice.
2-there could be some mixed pairs events and that should be some added fun
3- Not in every language, one can tell (its true) if your name in your language refers to a male or female.
That icon will still be optional if you like, Tell, if you do not keep it private
Thanks all
Hesham90

#2 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-February-03, 21:19

1- If I can tell your gender I can talk you more appropriately and refer to you (he /she) in amore accurate way and that should be nice

You could be a sex pest

2-there could be some mixed pairs events and that should be some added fun

Mixed pairs, I have never seen the point of that, just play with someone because you like them (Australian beach volley ball, I personally think women should be the only ones playing this sport) on this basis I think bridge should be the same

3- Not in every language, one can tell (its true) if your name in your language refers to a male or female.

I am now convinced you are a sex pest

I think a lot of woman would object to having female slapped all over their profile, this is a bad idea in my opinion

#3 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-04, 10:49

I don't like the idea either, people can put on their profile whatever they want. I often have people think I'm female (though rarely after they meet me), I just tell people that I am male if I care.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#4 User is offline   Hesham90 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-February-08, 04:42

A sex pest ? :D

I don’t really know if I’m sure of the meaning that your reply implies about being “ a sex pest “ , but I’m sure it doesn’t sound nice. That is the problem with internet, ugly people think they can talk in the same manner they are used to at there … wherever they came from.
BUT IT’S NOT TRUE
I do not like the words in your replay and surely, I do not like what it implies. May be my English is not so good (so I got it wrong); maybe your English is not so good so you used the wrong words (I doubt as you had to repeat the same thing twice).
Your reply is at least impolite and inconsiderate using personal accusations in what should be a general suggestion meant to improve on a software deficit. If you should have any thing against my suggestion it should not be personal assault, I am not going to try to answer you in the same manner as you did I think it is inappropriate.
I think the least you can do is to apologize about this reply not that you do not like my suggestion but the way you used words against me personally.
My suggestion still is very simple and practical and not against any body so many players do identify themselves as females (*-*) or males (¬L¬) in a way, so it only needs to be in the profile, and if you do not like it keep being “private”. No need to use any personal comments about some thing so general, should keep things polite, to the point and not personal.

#5 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-08, 09:18

Hesham90, on Feb 8 2007, 05:42 AM, said:

A sex pest ? <_<

I don't know who you are, and I don't know who Sceptic is, and I'm certainly not going to apologize for his actions.

However, I assure you that people who have clearly female names here have been harrassed by strangers and near-strangers, and that it's far worse on sites where most people have their gender identified.

If people want to identify themselves on their profile, it's easy enough for them to put it in, and by simply putting (M) or (F) after their names, they don't need to use anatomically correct ones. Frankly, if I were to invite a female friend here, I would discourage her from choosing an ID or otherwise identifying herself as female.

#6 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-08, 10:53

Hesham.

sceptic's reply said "you may be a sex pest" (not you are).

You, in this sense, meant anyone signed into BBO (not you specifically). He was providing a reason why it is not a good idea to have your gender included on your profile. I seriously doubt that it was intended as a personal assault on you, but instead just a poor choice of phrasing his sentiment.

The second time it is used (I am now convinced....) appears to me as sarcasm. Again, he is attempting to show why this is not a good idea.

I think his choice of wording was not the best, but I also think you have made some invalid assumptions regarding the nature of his response.

I believe that your suggestion is not a good one, but that is simply my own opinion. Someone else may like the idea.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#7 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-08, 11:39

I am always trying to get in touch with my feminine side.... :D

Gender, like race, creed etc. is individual and personal. Please "feel" free to "expose" your gender on your profile......is that what they mean by "flash" memory? <_<

Don't sweat the answer or the question as we all have opinions and whatever level of erudition and tolerance, which is also very individual. Actually, if it makes such a difference to you, why not include in your profile the statement, "Please tell me your gender if you want me to refer to you by the gender appropriate term...."
But then you may not have space for your bridge info....you do play bridge here, right?
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#8 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-08, 11:41

Sorry, you took offence

If someone is so shallow that they want to know someones sex before they speak in an apropriate manner to them, would this type of person like to know what colour I am as well?, would it make a differance to the way they apropriately addressed me, I found this post quite offensive, mine was intended to put a point across in a lighthearted manner.

#9 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2007-February-08, 11:45

You guys are being a little rough on Hesham90. If s/he (which ever) was a sex pest then he or she, could just seek out known male of female people to pester. After all, we have more than enough people who make no attempt to hide their gender, although a lot of he;s and she's pose as she's and he's if you catch my drift. Anyway, you should be give Hesham90 the benefit of the doubt if s/he (that stands for she/he....and has nothing to do with tranvestites) would like to use gender specific language 100% of the time. After all, s/he sounds funny if spoken out loud... .
--Ben--

#10 User is offline   BebopKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-February-08, 13:21

May be a good idea in concept, but if you get it wrong, your partner/opps can correct you.

Not a big deal to me.

I, personally, do not like physical labels: gender, race, age, etc. to be over emphasized.

BebopKid (Bryan Lee Williams)

"I've practiced meditation most of my life. It's better than sitting around doing nothing."
(Tom Sims, from topfive.com)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users