• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Propaganda SpinMasters At Work? Iran and its nuclear capability

#121 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2007-February-10, 13:47

And yet the world stood by and did nothing to stop it. I guess it was legal.

The Inquisition, the Crusades, the Salem witch trials.

And yet the world stood by and did nothing to stop it. I guess it was legal, too.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#122 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-10, 14:27

"ok so we only go back in if asked as part of a multinat. force.

No more unilateral bombing/attacking some training sites out in the middle of the desert?"

I've got a modest proposal, Mike. You'll love it. It's totally your style, dude:

The U.S. should invade and occupy every Muslim country in the world. They all have people who hate us, and we have no idea where Al Qaeda or some other terrorist organization might decide to have a training camp next. It would be the ultimate preemptive war.

And when the next terrorist attack comes (which wouldn't be too long :) ) we'd be right there! No need to invade!

What do you think?

Peter

#123 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-February-10, 14:34

Don't forget Western Europe, Peter. Full of scarry anti-war agitators.

And San Fransisco, you'd better occupy as well. I've heard they even have gay rights activists, there.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#124 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-10, 14:35

"And San Fransisco, you'd better occupy as well. I've heard they even have gay rights activists, there."

I lived in San Francisco for ten years. What a place!

We should bomb it, just on general principles.

Peter

#125 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-February-10, 18:36

Boy you liberals love to bomb and invade everyone.

Heck just love and can't we just give peace a chance and can we pull out of asia, germany, korea and japan please and send our boys and girls home.

James Carville was speaking near my home last night. He thinks it may be Jeb Bush and Gore. He did not really say how Hillary may implode but he did discuss everyone else. As for Iraq he said 3 people know how to solve that issue.
The Father
The Son
The Holy Ghost

#126 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-February-10, 18:48

"I've got a modest proposal, Mike. You'll love it. It's totally your style, dude:"

Hmm dude I must admit my favorite movie from last year was a little seen movie called the Matador about an aging Hitman,,,,hmmmm /Greg Kinnear movie.

United 93 was second.

Speaking of Greg Kinnear, I rented a movie for tonight with him in it. I may be the only human being to see this one....it is called "Unknown" It also has the actor who played Jesus in Mel Gibson's movie in it.

#127 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2007-February-10, 19:33

mike777, on Feb 10 2007, 07:36 PM, said:

Boy you liberals love to bomb and invade everyone.

Heck just love and can't we just give peace a chance and can we pull out of asia, germany, korea and japan please and send our boys and girls home.

James Carville was speaking near my home last night. He thinks it may be Jeb Bush and Gore. He did not really say how Hillary may implode but he did discuss everyone else. As for Iraq he said 3 people know how to solve that issue.
The Father
The Son
The Holy Ghost

Unfortunately, they caught the last train for the coast, the day the music died.

Probably on their way to San Francisco to save it from Peter's bombs.

Has anyone ever been to Albequerque, New Mexico? I think we ought to bomb them for just for GP.

And Mike, there is much more to the hippie movement - there's smoke pot, smoke pot, everybody smoke pot and I'd really love to turn you on and imagine yourself on a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmelade skies or I'll get buy with a little help from my friends.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, dude.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#128 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-10, 19:40

"...Heck just love and can't we just give peace a chance..."

Hell no, kill a commie for christ.

Peter

#129 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2007-February-10, 19:42

pbleighton, on Feb 10 2007, 08:40 PM, said:

"...Heck just love and can't we just give peace a chance..."

Hell no, kill a commie for christ.

Peter

I think that slogan has changed now Peter.
Now its, "Torture a Muslim just for the hell of it".

#130 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-10, 19:48

"Now its, "Torture a Muslim just for the hell of it". "

From what I hear, Cheney likes to do it for the smell of it.

Peter

#131 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2007-February-10, 19:55

pbleighton, on Feb 10 2007, 08:48 PM, said:

"Now its, "Torture a Muslim just for the hell of it". "

From what I hear, Cheney likes to do it for the smell of it.

Peter

I have it on the best of sources that Cheney is not an olfactory kind of guy - he prefers shooting his friends in the face in order to hear the screams.

#132 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2007-February-13, 22:07

Now we have Tony Snow declaring that before Iran can be taken seriously as wanting peace they have to stop supporting terrorist organizations such as Hezbollah.

Here is what Wikpedia says about Hezbollah:

Hezbollah is one of two main political parties representing the Shiites, Lebanon's largest religious bloc. In the elections for Parliament, it won over 10% of the seats (14 out of 128) and the bloc it forms with others, the Resistance and Development Bloc, 27.3%.

Hezbollah organizes an extensive social development program and runs hospitals, news services, and educational facilities.[19] Its Reconstruction Campaign ('Jihad Al Binna') is responsible for numerous economic and infrastructure development projects in Lebanon

1) Hezbollah is a political party - does this mean democrats are terrorists, too?
2) They won 14 seats in elections - elections? Not as in.....democratic elections?
3) Runs hospitals, news services, and educational facilities - responsible for numerous economic and infrastructure.... that's pretty terrible, all right.

Funny, but the EU does not classify Hezbollah as a terrorist organization. Neither does Russia. In fact, only 6 countries do so - The Axis of Drivel, brought to you by the U.S.A., Canada, and Brittain.

#133 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-February-13, 22:32

Do you classify Hezbollah as terrorists?

You seem to imply that they are not? When did the USA say they were? Just in the last 6 years? Do you think the intelligience is just shoddy or made up again?
Do you think Europe is just plain wrong or is this just another shoddy Usa thingy?

#134 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2007-February-13, 22:43

mike777, on Feb 14 2007, 07:32 AM, said:

You seem to imply that they are not? When did the USA say they were? Just in the last 6 years? Do you think the intelligience is just shoddy or made up again?
Do you think Europe is just plain wrong or is this just another shoddy Usa thingy?

Complicated question:

Hezbollah is a political organization that has multiple different "wings" to it. Some parts of the organization focus on military action. Others focus on providing social services.

This organizational structure is nothing new: The IRA has military and civilian wings, as does the PLO.

I'm not sure if there is an issue with either the labels or the people making these judgement. Rather, the granularity of what we're labelling is too large.
Alderaan delenda est

#135 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2007-February-14, 07:37

mike777, on Feb 13 2007, 11:32 PM, said:

You seem to imply that they are not?  When did the USA say they were? Just in the last 6 years? Do you think the intelligience is just shoddy or made up again?

Here is what I think, Mike.

I think the current U.S. administration is quick to judge and likes to use generalized slogans instead of thought.

In their infancy, many organizations are terror-based, such as the PLO and IRA; however, their actions are politically driven. Over time, these groups either die out or morph into more of a political than terrorist organization and even abandon terror tactics altogether.

Hezbollah is one of these - less a terror organization now and more political in nature. There is no doubt that Hezbollah is an enemy of Israel; but Hezbollah is no direct threat to the U.S. Hezbollah's primary concern is no longer simply terrorist actions.

Hezbollah is a shia organization and an enemy of Israel, so it is no surprise that Iran supports and funds them. By placing groups like Hezbollah on the terrorist organization list, the U.S. seems to be saying that if you do not agree with our world view you are a terrorist. One more example of the black and white mentality of our current leadership.

I do not think the answers to these serious questions can be answered by creating sophomoric lists, overblown slogans, and catchphrases - everything the U.S. does in the area of labeling seems geared to creating sound bites - It is a Jerry Springer mindset in a Carl Sagan world.

#136 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-February-14, 08:32

"....the U.S. seems to be saying that if you do not agree with our world view you are a terrorist. One more example of the black and white mentality of our current leadership....."

I could not agree with your conclusion more. If your premise is correct and the reason groups or people are put or stay on the USA terrorist list is simply because they do not agree with our world view, that is NUTS. What are these so called experts doing, this is insane.

#137 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2007-February-14, 12:23

isn't hezbollah a terrorist organization per the u.n.?
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#138 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2007-February-14, 12:38

luke warm, on Feb 14 2007, 09:23 PM, said:

isn't hezbollah a terrorist organization per the u.n.?

To my knowledge, the UN doesn't maintain a list of "terrorist" organizations. This places it in sharp contrasts with others like the EU which do main these types of lists. For example, the most recent EU list of known tterrorists and terrorist organizations is available at http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/lex/LexUriSer...0en00410045.pdf

Its worth noting that the EU doesn't consider Hezbollah a terrorist organization. As is oft the case, the Wikipedia contains some useful information.

http://en.wikipedia....ollah#_note-144

Their entry on Hezbollah contains a listing of different countries and organizations that do/do not designate Hezbollah as a terrorist organization.
Alderaan delenda est

#139 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2007-February-14, 18:37

Hey, at one time the colonialists in pre-U.S.A. might have been considered terrorists. They didn't wear uniforms and fired on unsuspecting Briitish soldiers passing by. Whether terrorist or freedom fighter depends on your point of view.

I agree strongly with Richard that terrorism is a tactic. That tactic has proven to be successful for organizations like the IRA, the PLO, Hezbollah, and others; however, once the goal is reached the terror deceases or even ends. Of course, it's handy to put people like Hezbollah on the terrorist list as you then have a built-in reason to ingnore diplomacy with them or listen to their views.

One of the most troubling aspects of this administration to me has been its method of relying on innuendo, generalities, and repetition to make its case. But I can't really blame them for this as they are relying on the mindset shown by the public - that is I'll listen to an explantaion of the middle east turmoil as long as you can do it in under 2 mintues on the nightly news. Give me a slogan I can paste on my bumber sticker or print on my shirt. Instant gratification.

We have indeed met the enemy - and indeed he is us - all of us.

#140 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2007-February-14, 19:08

Here's something I hadn't heard - call it the New and Improved Domino Theory:

Republican allies of the president are battling against the resolution sponsored by Democrats against the war.

“This battle is the most visible part of a global war” against terrorists, countered the House Republican leader, Rep. John Boehner. “If we leave, they will follow us home. It’s that simple.”

I see. And your proof of that assertion is......????

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users