Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A few from the IMP league

#1 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-January-25, 12:45

We blitzed in our IMP league match last night :)

A few hands to peruse:

Short of a full blown relay club or strong pass, do you see any possible way of getting to 6 with confidence?

We sniffed at it:

1 - 1N (SF)

2 (Gazilli) - 2 (forced, but dubious)

3 (GF jump shift, i.e., overbid) - 3 (8-9 points, since didn't bid 2 over 2)

3 (patterning out) - 4

pass (tanked).

Scoring: IMP

Pard opens 1, 1 by you, 1N by pard (15-17, but doesn't deny a 4cM). Your arsenal is XYZ. Any ideas?

Scoring: IMP

You open 1, 2N on left, 3 by pard, pass on right. You take the push to 4. 4N on left, pass, 5 on right and you hit it. What is your lead?
"Phil" on BBO

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2007-January-25, 13:17

1. no

2. 2, intending to pass 2.... at least its a non-vul game I'm missing: the lack of any major suit bidding by either opp is far from conclusive but affords some inference that partner is loaded in the majors and that makes 3N a long shot... either he lacks needed length/strength, or he's open in s. The fact that this hand is posted makes me suspect that an invite to 3N works, but I wouldn't do it.

3. : probably the J. I always lead trump. I must say that I wouldn't double: I don't think pass by me would be forcing... both of us had a chance to create a fp situation: me by bidding something other than 4 (which might be based on a lonnggg trump suit and shape) and partner by doubling 4N. There is almost nothing about my hand that says that we can beat 5: dummy with void x KQxxxx AQxxxx and declarer with xxxx xxxx Jx Kxx and partner with KJxx AQxx xxx xx... is this not consistent?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2007-January-25, 13:28

Sorry, you are vul on hand 2; changed.
"Phil" on BBO

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2007-January-25, 13:37

ouch: well, now it is a vulnerable game I am missing :)

Question: what is the difference, in your methods, between 2 then 3 and an immediate 3? I personally like the immediate 3 to be the same overall values but promising a decent suit (thus opener can look at Kx, as an example, as enough if not wide open in a side suit) while the slow route suggests a poor suit and better side values. OTOH, in one of my partnerships, 3 is a slam try with a good suit and 2 then 3 is more of a choice of games/slam try with bad suit hand.

If we play my preferred style, then, vul at imps, I'd go with the slow raise...I doubt they can knock out my entry and Axx or KQx in partner's hand may be all we need: if he holds Kx or Qx, he'd need a super max to bid game, and we may survive when he does. I doubt that 3 is significantly at risk.

If we can't distinguish suit quality, I play in 2...I've scored +190 at imps more times than I like to remember, but I don't expect to here
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-January-25, 14:17

hand 1.. Seems like your partner should jump to 4H at some point (likely over 2C). I can't see you bidding over it though.

hand 2.. I would invite in diamonds. If he has 3 diamonds then game rates to be fine, if he has 2 diamonds game rates to be bad. Sure he will accept on KQ tight every day but oh well, maybe it's not Axx and they can't kill the heart entry :P. A lot of times game will depend on the lead which is a game I want to be in.

hand 3.. This double is REALLY nuts. I have a trick. I can't imagine ever doubling. And please don't tell me a pass is forcing because I bid a red/white game freely :) it doesn't apply when LHO is likely 6-6 and always at least 6-5, and when I could still have a shapely ten count. As for the lead, I'm not sure. If lho is 1066 a spade lead could be necessary if partner has the SK and no HA. If LHO is 0166 or 02(65) a heart lead could be necessary if partner has the HA and no SK. Either lead could be a disaster, and a trump may be necessary if partner has a decent diamond holding and declarer is say, 1-3 in the minors. I would probably start with the spade ace. Partner is more likely to have the SK than the HA and if it cashes and I need to lead trumps I may be able to work it out. A heart seems too big, and I'm too scared to lead trumps and given my minor suit holdings its not that likely to be necessary. Also if the SA gets ruffed declarer might have no way off the dummy and I can still shift to hearts, but if I lead hearts and it's wrong then I'm screwed.

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2007-January-25, 14:43

1. Only if I had had too much wine.

2. I'll try and play 2, and will cover any opp balancing bid up to 4.

3. Club looks attractive... but I'm probably biased from having seen other answers.

#7 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2007-January-25, 15:58

mikeh, on Jan 25 2007, 11:37 AM, said:

ouch: well, now it is a vulnerable game I am missing :)

Question: what is the difference, in your methods, between 2 then 3 and an immediate 3?

Immediate 3 is GF with possible slam interest. Slow 3 is just invitational with a few diamonds.
"Phil" on BBO

#8 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2007-January-25, 17:37

1. I don't like to withhold a 9-card suit for two rounds, and this route to 3H is an underbid and seems a misbid. Seems because I don't know what other options were available.

2. I'd invite in diamonds, but it isn't clear to me that this is right.

3. I'm sure I'd lead a club at the table, but no idea if this is right either.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#9 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2007-January-25, 22:40

Hand 1: Even in strong club applications it's not easy to get to slam unless it's full blown relays.

Hand 2: I agree with Justin; it's vul at imps, so I invite in diamonds. At NV at imps, might get out in 2D.

Hand 3: J of trumps. Pass is not forcing. Doubling is begging for a group therapy session at a 12 step.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-26, 01:02

keylime, on Jan 26 2007, 05:40 AM, said:

Hand 1: Even in strong club applications it's not easy to get to slam unless it's full blown relays.

And even then, opps will be in some number of Clubs before you get to use them.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2007-January-26, 04:13

1. Flukey slam. I wouldn't worry about missing it.

2. I'll sign-off in 2.

3. I'll lead the big .
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

#12 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2007-January-26, 05:08

1. no way, reaching 4 was fine...

2. sign off in diamond

3. Jack of Clubs
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...