Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Afghanistan? Mrs. Clinton

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-January-20, 16:00

The other day Mrs. Clinton said we should send more troops to Afghanistan.

I ask these questions in all seriousness as I seem to only come up with poor or no answers myself.

1) Why is the Usa still fighting in Afghanistan and who are we fighting?
2) Is the war winnable?
3) If not should we come home now?
4) If it is what else should we be doing?
5) Why is Nato still there and how long do they plan on staying?
6) Does Mrs. Clinton plan on winning this thing or just keeping us there for another 10 years?

#2 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-20, 16:02

??

2) Is the war winnable?

Probably not.

Yes.

n/a

??

6) Does Mrs. Clinton plan on winning this thing or just keeping us there for another 10 years?

she plans on winning the election as a fake hawk, then leaving

If you don't like the answers, make up your own :P

Peter

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-January-20, 16:26

mike777, on Jan 21 2007, 12:00 AM, said:

I ask these questions in all seriousness as I seem to only come up with poor or no answers myself.

The USA and other Western countries are fighting the Taliban for a number of obvious reasons.

2) Is the war winnable?
Yes, in the sense that the presence of Western troops continues to reduce the risk that the Taliban regains power. If you mean if we will be able to destroy the Taliban entirely, I doubt it.

Yes of course, but I think the war is somewhat winnable.

Personally I would rather play bridge than fighting a war (even if "winnable" whatever that means) but to each his/her favorite leasure activities. Seriously: promoting bridge in Afganistan may be a good thing since bridge was illegal under the Taliban so if bridge becomes popular it may turn people against the Taliban.

They haven't planned anything but as soon as a the Afghan government for a moment seems to be able to do without us, we will pull out, I think.

Peter's answer to this one sounds plausible, but I have no idea, I didn't even know she had a policy on Afganistan.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-20, 16:49

helene_t, on Jan 21 2007, 12:26 AM, said:

Peter's answer to this one sounds plausible, but I have no idea, I didn't even know she had a policy on Afganistan.

She may not have known this either, as of a week ago.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2007-January-20, 17:45

We are fighting the evil Taliban who had reduced the opium poppy crops to zero - with our help in ridding the country of the Taliban, the new crops are now 400% higher, and thank goodness because the CIA needs the illegal drug cash to finance its covert operations inside Iran, and the DEA can go back to their air traffic control jobs in Mena, Arkansas.

2) Is the war winnable?
Sure. Just like Russia won. Just like we crushed the invaders in Korea and Vietnam.

3) Just remember again the reason for the invasion - we went in because the Taliban supposedly would not turn over Osama bin Laden - remember? The Taliban said he was a guest of their country and had the temerity to ask the U.S. of "proof" of his complicity with 9-11 before they would turn him over. Our proof was about 5 million pounds of TNT dropped on the Taliban's heads - so they could see the light that we were right.

Of course, for a long time now Bush has said that Osama bin Laden is no longer important to us - so then what is the beef now with the Taliban? And what the hell are we still doing in Afghanistan?

Don't we have any isolationist candidates out there?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-20, 17:57

mike777, on Jan 20 2007, 05:00 PM, said:

2) Is the war winnable?

1) Taliban
2,4) Yes, but that means give the people an option
for the future.
=> Money was promised to create schools, streets
and so on, the money did not flow.
3) No
5) Prestige
6) No idea
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#7 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-21, 08:55

Who are we fighting???

Religious leaders.....in sect-like enclaves....inciting participants to give their "all" for the cause....in god-forsaken areas where no one in their right mind wants to go but where good honest decent folk still live......

uhhhh..... are we talking Taliban or Oral Roberts/Pat Robertson/Jerry Falwell????
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#8 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2007-January-21, 11:35

Al_U_Card, on Jan 21 2007, 09:55 AM, said:

Who are we fighting???

Religious leaders.....in sect-like enclaves....inciting participants to give their "all" for the cause....in god-forsaken areas where no one in their right mind wants to go but where good honest decent folk still live......

uhhhh..... are we talking Taliban or Oral Roberts/Pat Robertson/Jerry Falwell????

If we didn't supply them with troops as targets, who would they suicide bomb?

Oh, I forgot - there's that gas pipeline that is at the heart of our national security.
Do you still get the 44 virgins for blowing up yourself and a pipeline?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#9 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2007-January-21, 12:42

Winstonm, on Jan 21 2007, 12:35 PM, said:

Do you still get the 44 virgins for blowing up yourself and a pipeline?

careful, it was a line like that that got me put on 'ignore' for someone
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-January-21, 12:45

Just read in "The God Delusion" that the 72 virgins should be 72 raisins - the usual script slugishness.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   the saint 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cycling
    Running
    Sport Science
    Babysitting the 'kiddies'
    Decks and CHOOOONS!

Posted 2007-January-21, 17:40

helene_t, on Jan 21 2007, 06:45 PM, said:

Just read in "The God Delusion" that the 72 virgins should be 72 raisins - the usual script slugishness.

Super book. Everyone should read it.
He's justified and he's ancient, and he drives an ice cream van.

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-January-22, 04:34

But Alan, you used to have the signature "[....] I do believe in God but the only thing I fear is Sheepman".

Aren't you confusing the book with "The Sheepman delusion" ?

#13 User is offline   the saint 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cycling
    Running
    Sport Science
    Babysitting the 'kiddies'
    Decks and CHOOOONS!

Posted 2007-January-22, 15:37

helene_t, on Jan 22 2007, 10:34 AM, said:

But Alan, you used to have the signature "[....] I do believe in God but the only thing I fear is Sheepman".

Aren't you confusing the book with "The Sheepman delusion" ?

That was a parody on a famous line from one of the best films ever made - The Usual Suspects.

Those who know me know there are no gods in my life... save perhaps Belladonna and Garozzo!!
He's justified and he's ancient, and he drives an ice cream van.

#14 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2007-January-22, 17:26

mike777, on Jan 21 2007, 01:00 AM, said:

2) Is the war winnable?

The situation in Afghanistan is a complex one, and I have quite different opinions about this conflict than I do about the US attack on Iraq.

1. I believe that the US was justified in launching an attack to crush the Taliban. However, I believe that the US should have worked with the UN to get the Security Council to approve this military action.

2. Unlike Iraq, I believe that that a continued US military presence in Afghanistan would be beneficial, both to the Afghani people and the US national interest. I see two main differences between the two countries. First, the situation in Iraq has spiraled completely out of control. I think that it still might be possible to salvage something in Afghanistan. Second, Afghanistan is a lot smaller than Iraq. I think that it would be a lot easier to stablize Afghanistan than Iraq.

[Helene was nice enough to point out that the population of Afghanistan is actually larger than that of Iraq. The Iraqi population is roughly 37 million. The population of afghanistan is roughly 31 million.]

3. As I've noted many times in the past, I don't think that the US (or NATO) can impose stablity using nothing but military force. I firmly believe that economic aid packages must form the core of any kind of stablization policy. At the close of World War II the US recognized that massive economic aid packages were necessary to rebuild the defeated Axis powers as a precursor to creating stable democratic states. The Marshall Plan probably rates as the United States' great diplomatic success of all time. We need to apply the same principle to Afghanistan.

4. I would support and increase in the US troop presence in Afghanistan, but only if this was accompanied by a comprehensive set of aid packages. In my mind, economic aid is how I separate policians who are thinking with their brains as opposed to just flexing the muscles to try and pretend that their "tough"
Alderaan delenda est

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users