• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Funny google-adds A solution to the sox matching problem

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-January-18, 06:18

Google adds sometimes makes funny associations between forum- and mail-content and their advertisers. For example, a note on "Wiered but true" about someone having a lightbulp removed from his rectum was linked to an add for a painkiller.

The ones I get on my gmail are usually quite understandable. About hotels and restaurants in Coventry, for example, because some of my correspondance is about Coventry. And a lot of adds for bridge holidays, bridge books and bridge software.

But the lattest one is an enigma. A Danish tricotage company invented the following columus' egg: each sock type is labelled with a distinct number so that even people who are color-blind and/or fabric-blind can avoid the embarasment of wearing two non-matching socks.

Why the h.... do the think, on the basis of my email correspondance and/or google search activity, that I would need such a product?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-18, 06:52

helene_t, on Jan 18 2007, 02:18 PM, said:

Google adds sometimes makes funny associations between forum- and mail-content and their advertisers. For example, a note on "Wiered but true" about someone having a lightbulp removed from his rectum was linked to an add for a painkiller.

The ones I get on my gmail are usually quite understandable. About hotels and restaurants in Coventry, for example, because some of my correspondance is about Coventry. And a lot of adds for bridge holidays, bridge books and bridge software.

But the lattest one is an enigma. A Danish tricotage company invented the following columus' egg: each sock type is labelled with a distinct number so that even people who are color-blind and/or fabric-blind can avoid the embarasment of wearing two non-matching socks.

Why the h.... do the think, on the basis of my email correspondance and/or google search activity, that I would need such a product?

Because it is not based on your email correspondance. They probably have a much more detailed knowledge of you - maybe even more detailed and systematic than you would would like to know yourself.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-January-18, 07:00

Oh yes of course, my credit card company and my bank told them that I've bought socks in many different shops, usually just one pair at a time, so the chance that I have many pairs of almost-identical socks is quite high. They also know that I always use the same brand of washing powder, so that almost-identical socks have converged further after washing. And they know that I buy cat food, so there's a good chance that my cats occasionaly remove a single sock from the laundry bin, leaving grass-widowed socks vulnerable to adultry.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-18, 07:10

helene_t, on Jan 18 2007, 03:00 PM, said:

Oh yes of course, my credit card company and my bank told them that I've bought socks in many different shops, usually just one pair at a time, so the chance that I have many pairs of almost-identical socks is quite high. They also know that I always use the same brand of washing powder, so that almost-identical socks have converged further after washing. And they know that I buy cat food, so there's a good chance that my cats occasionaly remove a single sock from the laundry bin, leaving grass-widowed socks vulnerable to adultry.

Much too simple Helene - you know better than that!

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-January-18, 07:19

Claus, are you suggesting that they aquired my psychiatric record and combined it with text mining of my BBO forum posts, to reach the conclusion that I have a typical sock-mismatcher personality?

#6 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-18, 07:32

Well Helene they know everything you ever seached with google, they know every webpage you ever visited that has google ads on it.
So remember: Did you ever visit a webpage about colorblindness?

If no, remember that they make references to other people who searched for the same keywords or gmailed about similar products.

Considering the average age of bridge players, you are lucky they know your real gender and age .....

#7 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-18, 07:45

hotShot, on Jan 18 2007, 03:32 PM, said:

Well Helene they know everything you ever seached with google, they know every webpage you ever visited that has google ads on it.
So remember: Did you ever visit a webpage about colorblindness?

If no, remember that they make references to other people who searched for the same keywords or gmailed about similar products.

Considering the average age of bridge players, you are lucky they know your real gender and age .....

Thats not necessary.

Color - could even be a museum for modern art
Illness - looking for somewhere some special treatments
Blind -

Helene they probably know some basic info about you: Middle age dutch woman and your income level, marriage and children. Now they place you in a skeleton and update that. On that basis you are offered - decline/accept the offers means your record will be updated.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users