• You cannot reply to this topic

Handling team match facilities

#1 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2003-December-21, 06:50

Hi all and merry xmas :)

I don't know if the following has already been proposed and maybe is already in progress.
Anyway, right now the organizer of a team match has to enter all 8 players.

Wouldn't it be nice if the players themselves registered, isolated or in couples, just as they do now for pairs tourneys ?

The tourney manager would just create an empty tourney, and people would request to register (single or paired), and the TM would accept or not (if places filled).

ciao all :)
Mauro
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#2 User is offline   JRG 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-December-21, 07:15

I'm not trying to be funny, but...

A fundamental difference between a team match and a pairs tournament is that one needs to coordinate 4 people (not counting extra players on a team) for a team game and only 2 for a pairs game.

This means that registering would require the software to be changed to support this (a changed or different dialog box for registering, checking that the 3 other players are online when the registration attempt is made, sending request messages to 3 other players rather than one, and so on).

When the team match starts, the software would also have to grab the 8 players and assign them seats. Plus there are differences in terms of restricting members' participation.

There is also another fundamental difference: Anyone can set up a team game, but you have to have special privileges set by an administrator to set up a pairs tournament. I think part of the idea was to allow team matches to be set up relatively spontaneously.

I imagine Fred and Uday could handle the programming changes. I don't know whether they want to (and if they are willing, what priority it would have). My thoughts, for what they are worth.

John
JRG

#3 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-21, 08:13

This means that registering would require the software to be changed to support this (a changed or different dialog box for registering, checking that the 3 other players are online when the registration attempt is made, sending request messages to 3 other players rather than one, and so on).
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure :)
That's why I posted this thought in a thread under the heading "Suggestions for the software" (Not trying to be funny either :) )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

When the team match starts, the software would also have to grab the 8 players and assign them seats.

This is what already happens also for team matches

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is also another fundamental difference: Anyone can set up a team game, but you have to have special privileges set by an administrator to set up a pairs tournament. I think part of the idea was to allow team matches to be set up relatively spontaneously.

----------------------------------------

Sure. :)
My point is that now, let's say you are trying to setup a team match and u do not have yet 8 people but only 6.
You cannot start the double table until 8 persons are available.
It wd be nice if u can start a partially filled double table, waiting for the last 2-3 players.
And with the facility of players self registration accepted or not by the host, it is equivalkent to an invitation (the current mechanism).
Also, players would see which seat is free and who wd be their partner in the team game (something that does not always happen right now, because people simpli accept to playy without knowing who will betheir p, but then later complain of playing with a bad partner).

Allowing a team matchh host to open an empty team match and partially fill out seats wd simplify, in my opinion many things :)

I imagine Fred and Uday could handle the programming changes. I don't know whether they want to (and if they are willing, what priority it would have). My thoughts, for what they are worth.

This point is important, since many people are starting to request more and more and more from BBO functionalities.
Your comment- which I agree with- gives me the opportunity to specify that mine is not a request, just a suggestion for a potential improvement.
This is why, after all, this "Suggestion for the software" thread was made for.
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#4 User is offline   JRG 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-21, 08:34

[snip...]My point is that now, let's say you are trying to setup a team match and u do not have yet 8 people but only 6.
You cannot start the double table until 8 persons are available.
It wd be nice if u can start a partially filled double table, waiting for the last 2-3 players.
And with the facility of players self registration accepted or not by the host, it is equivalkent to an invitation (the current mechanism).
Also, players would see which seat is free and who wd be their partner in the team game (something that does not always happen right now, because people simpli accept to playy without knowing who will betheir p, but then later complain of playing with a bad partner).

Allowing a team matchh host to open an empty team match and partially fill out seats wd simplify, in my opinion many things [...snip]

Ah, now I understand you suggestion better. Your example made it much clearer. Glad I responded.

If I interpret you correctly, you would start things off the same way as is currently done when setting up a team match, but you would be able to leave one or more seats empty. Then the Team Game would be displayed in a similar manner to a table in a club (but with both "rooms" displayed), where you can click on a seat to request the team game host to let you sit.
JRG

#5 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-21, 09:20

Hi all and merry xmas :)

I don't know if the following has already been proposed and maybe is already in progress.
Anyway, right now the organizer of a team match has to enter all 8 players.

Wouldn't it be nice if the players themselves registered, isolated or in couples, just as they do now for pairs tourneys ?

The tourney manager would just create an empty tourney, and people would request to register (single or paired), and the TM would accept or not (if places filled).

ciao all :)
Mauro

It's a nice idea, Mauro, but I'm afraid it is not going
to happen any time soon. Implementation of team
games as you suggest would take a lot of work for
Uday and myself and we have a lot of other things
on our collection plates these days.

I will keep a copy of your post and give some more
thought to how we could do this when things lighten
up around here (maybe I should have said "if" instead
of "when").

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#6 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-21, 12:30

It's a nice idea, Mauro, but I'm afraid it is not going
to happen any time soon. Implementation of team
games as you suggest would take a lot of work for
Uday and myself and we have a lot of other things
on our collection plates these days.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure enough :)
I do not think this issue has any priority, just a nice wish, but that's all... :)
If the cost-benefit is not worth, I agree it is much better to employ time somewhere else ... :)

#7 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-27, 07:50

Hi!

What about this approach:

If you open a team tourney the system generates 2 tables filled with "sitout1-8".

The players could than register as sub, chat in the tournament area to tell the host how to team up and the host uses the substitute player facility to fill up the team match.

Sounds like this uses mostly existing software features, so probably not too much work.to implement.

Have a nice day
hotShot

#8 User is offline   joker_gib 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-March-17, 06:05

Hi all,

It would really be great to improve the organization of team matches on BBO.

It is difficult to find 8 players (lot of chat ....) and it is off course easier to find 4.

So, why not create a "team desk" where you can register a team of 4 players. This "team desk" will work just as the "partnership desk" in a pair tournament !

Alain :D
Alain

#9 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-March-17, 08:33

Great idea!

This is how I would implement it:

The four players intending to play a team match gather at any ordinary table.
In the table options there is a button for adding this team to the team desk, and a list of teams already already searching for opps. When adding to the list, the team captain specifies how many boards should be played (min and max number). If there is no appropriate opp team in the list, the members of the newly added team can play together at their table until they are selected from the list by another team. When you select another team from the list, you can specify how many boards you like to play. The selected team is asked then and can respond yes or no. If yes, both tables are allowed to finish the current board (if there is any board in progress) and then all 8 players are transfered to their tables in the team area.

This would easily allow a pickup team to play a few boards at the ordinary table in order to see if they like each other's way of bridge before they actually register for the team desk.

Karl

#10 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-March-17, 08:43

mink, on Mar 17 2004, 09:33 AM, said:

Great idea!

This is how I would implement it:

The four players intending to play a team match gather at any ordinary table.
In the table options there is a button for adding this team to the team desk, and a list of teams already already searching for opps. When adding to the list, the team captain specifies how many boards should be played (min and max number). If there is no appropriate opp team in the list, the members of the newly added team can play together at their table until they are selected from the list by another team. When you select another team from the list, you can specify how many boards you like to play. The selected team is asked then and can respond yes or no. If yes, both tables are allowed to finish the current board (if there is any board in progress) and then all 8 players are transfered to their tables in the team area.

This would easily allow a pickup team to play a few boards at the ordinary table in order to see if they like each other's way of bridge before they actually register for the team desk.

Karl

Brilliant... :-)
--Ben--

#11 User is offline   joker_gib 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-March-17, 08:56

Yes ;-) :blink:

This way, it will also be easy to suggest opps you like to play with to become your teammates !!

Great idea also, Karl !!! :D

Let's hope that Fred or Uday will hear us (it's a joke because I know they really take care of users suggestions !!) :rolleyes:

Alain
Alain

#12 User is offline   joker_gib 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-March-25, 02:54

:huh:

As a lot of people have a look at this topic, I suppose that it has some interest altough we do not have any response !

So, I relaunch it a little bit ! ;)

I really think that it should be a real improvement for the BBO site.

Alain

:wub: :D
Alain

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users