Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Online and f2f Bridge is fun game

#1 User is offline   shubi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-January-11, 18:43

When we play bridge now its wide open field for online and still closed game for f2f. In f2f there are regulars same as online. But there are some shuttle deferenses, like pair showing up earlier to reserve table 8 east west, pair showing up reserving both east west and north south, then make decision which way to seat based on who is playing what direction. Some players brings a suitcase full of mind buggling convention cards, about 90% follows the club guru's prescribed system.
But online players comes from all over the world. Most of them are good players and defenders. but when comes to bidding system seems to crash. just few example, nothing is wrong if we both understand our system and know when to alert. STAYMAN, I bid 1nt pd 2c i bid 2d pd 3s sound like smolen but u not to sure because u know pd's country. any way u bid 4s, look at pd hands 5s 3h, he makes the contract . pd bid 1nt u bid 2d transfer pd bid 2nt or 3nt u pass partner makes again. etc.

#2 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2007-January-11, 19:30

Shubi lives in Ottawa where I am, and was in the top 5 last year for online masterpoints even though he plays just about with everybody online (so that is a great result even by a gifted player that he is). If anybody understands the difference between f2f and online it is Shubi.

As to the " club guru's prescribed system" not sure what that is, but there is something sometimes termed "Ottawa Standard" which are the agreements the local experts like to play (this includes four way transfers, Smolen, 2 double negative response to 2 opening etc.). Also note the level of f2f bridge is quite strong in Ottawa - many players with decades of experience, and playing in a CNTC (Canadian team) local qualifer on Saturday we faced players on multiple teams with gold and silver medals.

So Shubi sees a strong level of f2b bridge here, with partnerships generally knowing what they are doing, both in bidding and play.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users