• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why do people cheat? Thoughts?

#1 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-December-25, 23:33

We've had a few sour threads recently regarding how to curb cheating. I'd prefer if this didn't turn into one.

Why do people cheat? (at bridge, other games, etc.)

the answer is obvious if there is money, power or love at stake, but what about when there's nothing on the line? people still cheat. why?

#2 User is offline   jocdelevat 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-December-26, 00:04

for their EGO or by dilettante players .
I think in this world modesty became forbiden. Im surprise to see how many players put in their profile World Class Player.
It's not what you are, it's how you say it!

best regards
jocdelevat

#3 User is offline   Trysalot 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2006-December-26, 00:47

Ego is one thing. It doesn't matter whether there is any prize, the beating of the others in the game is the goal, the person wants to WIN and, if he can only do that by cheating, he will cheat.

Self-satisfaction is another thing. For this person it isn't cheating to win. It is cheating to have the self-satisfaction of getting away with something, of doing it and not being caught doing it.
Trysalot

#4 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2006-December-26, 00:50

For the majority I don't know. For those who are trying to get hired onto major teams, that can be very lucrative (such as for lanzarotti-buratti) so that makes some sense.

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2006-December-26, 02:40

There are lots of reasons:
Trying to prove your superiority, usually because you have a low level of self esteem.
Ego.
Money in the professional game.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-26, 03:08

The_Hog, on Dec 26 2006, 03:40 AM, said:

Trying to prove your superiority, usually because you have a low level of self esteem.

and no remorse, feeling of guilt or that hollow feeling of an undeserved victory? *sigh*

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2006-December-26, 03:24

Ego
The danger and thrill from not getting caught
Rewards - money,prizes, status
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#8 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-26, 07:22

People cheat at bridge

1) because they don't want to be last.
2) because they don't even know they cheat (look at social bridge, there are players that use any UI available, although they don't know how UI is defined)
3) because they feel like experts, but the results are not as good as they should be. They *know* everybody else is cheating, because otherwise they would not beat them. They try to restore equal chances by cheating too.
4) because they want to keep the playing level of their peer group.
5) because they can get away with it.
6) because the second is a looser.

#9 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-26, 09:47

Because evil must exist in the world.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2006-December-26, 10:32

hotShot, on Dec 26 2006, 02:22 PM, said:

People cheat at bridge

~snip~
3) because they feel like experts, but the results are not as good as they should be. They *know* everybody else is cheating, because otherwise they would not beat them. They try to restore equal chances by cheating too.
~snip~

I guess this is one of the best descriptions I've ever seen, and it's valid for all kinds of competitive games/sports/events.

Some people just think they're better than they are (it's called a dream, a wish, hope) but they don't get results. Why???? They won't think the reason is themselves, nooooo, for once they won't think only about themselves. It must be someone else's fault! "They must be cheating, because opponents can't be better than me." Next thing they'll do is sum up all their worthless credentials and hope someone will also see a better player in them than they actually are...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-26, 11:07

Free, on Dec 26 2006, 04:32 PM, said:

hotShot, on Dec 26 2006, 02:22 PM, said:

People cheat at bridge

~snip~
~snip~

I guess this is one of the best descriptions I've ever seen, and it's valid for all kinds of competitive games/sports/events.

Some people just think they're better than they are (it's called a dream, a wish, hope) but they don't get results. Why???? They won't think the reason is themselves, nooooo, for once they won't think only about themselves. It must be someone else's fault! "They must be cheating, because opponents can't be better than me." Next thing they'll do is sum up all their worthless credentials and hope someone will also see a better player in them than they actually are...

It also explains the popularity of some of the more, um, extreme political viewpoints amongst some of the, um, less educated members of the population.

"I'm an intelligent enough guy, why can't I get a decent-paying job? It can't be my fault, it must be the fault of the illegal immigrants (or the capitalists, or the Jews, or the illegal immigrant Capitalist Jews)."

#12 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2006-December-26, 12:37

1. Most folks do not want to admit that they aren't as good as they think they are. Just look at certain countries' numbers of "experts".
2. The ease of gaining a reputation as being a good player without the cost of hard work and diligence.
3. Having a good status online is now translatable into monetary gains.
4. As Ron mentioned, low self-esteem.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#13 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-27, 13:32

I would suggest that in some cases, the cheaters are winning the game, and that win is not at all tainted.

Of course, the game they're playing isn't bridge.

They're gaming the system. And they're winning. And that's the game of consequence (oh, and getting away with it).

Similar to the other thread; I think that if I wished, I could be +1IMP/board for a great deal of time. I could also be -1IMP/board for a great deal of time, playing my absolute best. I get to pick my partners and opponents (in the -1 case; I'd be happy taking whoever shows up in the +1 case), right?

At one time I was the host for the "How the Lehman System works" page. Of course, I was interested and I read it. I immediately figured out the best way to game the system. I didn't put it into practice, in fact, I actively did things that would negatively impact my Lehman rating (but were positive expectation for me), but I saw several who did...

You want to game the Masterpoint system? Here you go. Do you want to be known as the worst 1500 MP player in the world? Not my problem. Again, it isn't bridge that's the game of interest, it's beating the system.

The problem with a rating system for individuals in a game that relies on partnerships is that any such rating system can be gamed - including the rating system that is cash games. And it doesn't require the C word to do it; just a knowledge of the best partners/partnership styles to get the result you want.

Against these gamers, anyone interested in Bridge have no recourse - because the game they want to play is Bridge, and they aren't interested in (or even knowledgeable of) the other games. Oh well.

Michael.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users