Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4H; play it

#1 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-November-26, 16:03

Playing in an informal TG this afternoon 2 interesting play problems crop up. Here's the 1st:

Scoring: IMP

RHO opens 1, you overcall 1. LHO tries 3 preemptive and pard competes with 3. You push on to 4.

Opening lead is the 7. The 10 wins on your right and he tries to cash the K. You ruff and trumps are 2-2.

How do you continue?
"Phil" on BBO

#2 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-26, 22:51

Play a small diamond toward dummy. LHO should have one of the spade ace or diamond king.

#3 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2006-November-27, 01:04

flytoox, on Nov 26 2006, 08:51 PM, said:

Play a small diamond toward dummy. LHO should have one of the spade ace or diamond king.

How does this gain? What distribution are you playing for (instead of playing 's normally to try to make no losers)?
"Phil" on BBO

#4 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-November-27, 01:46

You can play RHO for K8 of .

Try to bring the suit without any loss, so that you can afford to give 2 tricks.

Go to dummy with a 3rd tump and play Q. If RHO cover Q with K, win and run 9 trying to pin 8 on your right. If it loses to the doubleton 10, he has open up 's. If you see 8 on you left, go with J ( hoping righty with K10x) and playback a to endplay RHO to open up 's.

If Q loses to K on your left, if he returns a small , you will be left to guess honors correctly. If he return a low , you will have to pray for A onside.
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#5 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2006-November-27, 02:54

Dwingo, on Nov 26 2006, 11:46 PM, said:

You can play RHO for K8 of .

Try to bring the suit without any loss, so that you can afford to give 2 tricks.

Go to dummy with a 3rd tump and play Q. If RHO cover Q with K, win and run 9 trying to pin 8 on your right. If it loses to the doubleton 10, he has open up 's. If you see 8 on you left, go with J ( hoping righty with K10x) and playback a to endplay RHO to open up 's.

If Q loses to K on your left, if he returns a small , you will be left to guess honors correctly. If he return a low , you will have to pray for A onside.

There's another play that gets you home with K8 too.
"Phil" on BBO

#6 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-November-27, 03:19

pclayton, on Nov 26 2006, 05:03 PM, said:

Playing in an informal TG this afternoon 2 interesting play problems crop up. Here's the 1st:

Scoring: IMP

RHO opens 1, you overcall 1. LHO tries 3 preemptive and pard competes with 3. You push on to 4.

Opening lead is the 7. The 10 wins on your right and he tries to cash the K. You ruff and trumps are 2-2.

How do you continue?

AK. If Q drops, go to dummy in and finesse Q.
If Q doesn't drop, play a to the K.

Steven

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2006-November-27, 03:31

Did opps have lead agreements?

I would take the obvious line: cross to dummy in hearts and lead Q, hoping to find any K-3rd (RHO will get endplayed) or KT onside; this will need A onside if the diamond plan fails. The alternative to play for Kx (play A and low diamond) seems to be worse, as I don't really gain much if LHO gets endplayed.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   aida_mk_nl 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2006-December-02, 02:54

Wining with 10 and than not A but K is interesting maybe even showing the K. Would LHO underlead A ? Guess not , so AKQJ10 in RHO is fair assumption. LHO to jump to 3!C must have 5 , 2 were shown, maybe 4 Q10xx (usually) in with 2 !D . Not touching the I would try to finesse K since opener may have A9x , and Kxx (hopefuly). After Q if RHO covers play small to J and if no 10 falls play in RHO to win the 10 he have to play to your K or cl so you have a S discard or S winner. just assumption

greetz :)

Aida
[/B][I]

#9 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-02, 05:16

cherdano, on Nov 27 2006, 09:31 AM, said:

Did opps have lead agreements?

I would take the obvious line: cross to dummy in hearts and lead Q, hoping to find any K-3rd (RHO will get endplayed) or KT onside; this will need A onside if the diamond plan fails. The alternative to play for Kx (play A and low diamond) seems to be worse, as I don't really gain much if LHO gets endplayed.

But you gain if RHO gets endplayed. I think RHO probably has the K and if he doesn't there's not much hope as then he surely has all the spade honours.

I think most of us would try the diamond hook, but A one diamond is an interesting alternative. The question now comes down to shape. Is RHO 4=2=2=5 or is he 4=2=3=4? Or even 3=2=3=5 or 3=2=4=4. Now it comes down to LHO's bid. If RHO has 4 clubs, then LHO has 6, which seems to be more consistent with the jump to 3. Also, RHO thought he could cash his club, so that is more likely to be from a four card suit. Thus I will play RHO for 3 diamonds and hope to drop Tx offside.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#10 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2006-December-02, 10:47

If you play for RHO to have 3 diamonds, you'll make it. I thought clubs were 5-5 myself. RHO did indeed have a royal flush. LHO's lead was from an indiscernible 97xxx.

(Matt, i don't think RHO's attempt to cash a club reveals whether or not clubs are 4-6 or 5-5. I think RHO will try clubs for lack of anything better, since a pointed suit is wrong and a heart is pointless).

However, LHO had the 4th spade :) and made a preemptive jump raise on: Qxxx, xx, xx, 97xxx. I played for RHO to hold the 4=2=2=5 (since LHO did not make a negative double), and played A, . RHO actually held the rock o' Gilbraltar with: Axxx, Qx, KTx, AKQJT. The other table opened this hand 2N, so we lost 5 for being -100 at both tables.

You really can't 'endplay' LHO: if LHO held the Kx (or Txx), a small spade into dummy puts you on an insolvable guess. There's two ways to endplay RHO however.

Give yourself full credit if you tried to figure out a way to make the hand, instead of playing the suit in isolation.
"Phil" on BBO

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users