• You cannot reply to this topic

Time for the rant see the companion poll

#21 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-16, 03:51

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-15, 16:11, said:

I don't understand what is so bad about the rant. If you see people making the same dumb mistakes over and over it doesn't annoy you in general? You don't want to post about it on the forums so others do not make the same error over and over of trying to be too cute/fancy in situations like this? Seems legit to me.

Interesting thought. The mistake I see most is that people don't count, but I'm not going to rant that I wish people would start counting just because my opponents let me make another impossible contract.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#22 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-16, 05:44

View Posthan, on 2012-February-16, 03:51, said:

Interesting thought. The mistake I see most is that people don't count, but I'm not going to rant that I wish people would start counting just because my opponents let me make another impossible contract.

But you might decide to find yourself a better game of bridge. Maybe Frances's rant was provoked by spending too much time at her local bridge club.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-February-17, 10:47

I liked the other Frances rant much better (csdenmark was defending some blatantly poor disclosure by a Blue Club pair).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-17, 10:55

Bump for the companion poll pls?

#25 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-February-18, 01:22

http://www.bridgebas...pic/17514-rant/
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#26 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-July-18, 17:00

Re-ranting. OK, so we're in the national pairs game, sitting at 15th going into today. We get into an auction where I've shown an intermediate 2 bid (9-14 HCP, 6+ hearts) on this hand:

So partner goes into the tank for 4 minutes - timed by opponent - before bidding 3N. Then he makes a nullo play to go down in 3N, and blames me for not correcting to 4H with the 7th heart - after he's effectively barred me from using any judgment by tanking for so long, suggesting that 3N is not our best contract.

We did not place.
Chris Gibson

#27 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-July-18, 19:28

Is renecro a word?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#28 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-18, 21:58

View PostPhil, on 2012-July-18, 19:28, said:

Is renecro a word?

It is now. :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#29 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 07:05

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2006-November-28, 05:30, said:

So I really wish people would stop trying to have fun when they have a fit and just pre-empt to the limit instead. Taking up space always causes the opponents problems. Bidding suits you haven't got in auctions (or redoubling with no values) where it's a well known tactic usually doesn't. This is one of the best known auctions for responder's psyche and 99% of decent players know how to deal with it.

I think there must be a difference in bridge environments between ACBL and where Frances is playing. I don't think there are many players in the US that would even think about getting cute on a hand like this. Psyches, even "baby psyches" are rare beasts over here.

I also disagree with the "99% of decent players know how to deal with it" estimate. Since we rarely, if ever, see such things, we are generally unprepared for them.

But, maybe I'm off in my estimation of what a "decent" player is.

#30 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2012-July-23, 10:08

If I pulled off a baby psyche in some of the clubs here, people would become quite upset.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#31 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-July-23, 12:33

I have a lot of sympathy for this situation and the "Baby Psyche" used.

It is true that some baby psychics might not be effective in a given sequence. It is aloso true that an alternative to a baby psyche might wrk better. However, the mere fact that a specific layout made the "baby psyche" ineffective is not a good reason to conclude that the baby psyche was a bad idea. For, using that rationale, a Weak 2 opening is a bad idea if the opponents blast past that to 4 without problems. The preempt did no good but disclosed information -- a bad thing. So? Other times, it might work.

Of course, the questuion is then whether the theory is good to begin with. Well, to a degree personal experiences might convince a lot of people that this form of baby psychic is so infrequently successful that its merits are unuestionbly lacking, which is a fair assessment, just like Mini-Roman or any other move. That would be a fair analysis. But, one thing I do notice is that in no sequence did the opponents do anything consructive, it seems, as it seems that the sequences were bashy or muddled. Only the blast to 4 seems to have been truly effective. Thus, the 3 preempt was to a degree as ineffective as the baby psychics, and to a degree equally "effective."

I have no idea what to take from all of this.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users