BBO Discussion Forums: Cue after partner shows singleton - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cue after partner shows singleton extra or control?

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-November-25, 04:31

Suppose you have shown a limited hand and partner shows a sinleton and starts cueing afterwards. Will you always cue or only if your hand improved with the singleton? What is the best treatment?
eg bidding goes:
1NT-3C-3D-3H
with:
1NT: 15-17
3C: 4=4=4=1
3D: sets D as trump
3H: 1st or 2nd control Diamond
You now have a control in Spade. Do you suggest to always bid it or only if you have a good hand opposite the singleton (eg xxx of clubs)?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-25, 04:39

If you had wasted values in clubs you would probably either have bid 3NT in the last round or you would do it now. 3 must show that you're exited about diamonds.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-25, 04:52

Other example:
1H-2C-2D-3H
You agreed that this is: Responder showed 5+card Clubs with at least 2 of the 3 top honours and 3+card H and GF with slem interest.
- Will you always bid 3S to show a control (1st or 2nd) or only if you have extras?

#4 User is offline   Robert 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Science fiction, science fantasy, military history, bridge<br>Bidding systems nut, I like to learn them and/or build them.<br>History in general(some is dull, but my interests are fairly wide ranging)<br>

Posted 2006-November-25, 07:06

Hi everyone

Your cue bidding style depends a lot on your chosen methods.

I use 'Last Train'(the last possible 'bid below game{4D* 'if' hearts are trump}) and serious '3NT', so a 3S cuebid would be 'almost forced' with almost any hand. Partner can express his degree of slam interest by bidding a serious '3NT', making another cuebid or by bidding 'Last Train.'

The assorted ways to show slam interest 'plus' being able to stop at the game level, while still being able to make a slam try are a big advantage IMHO.

Regards,
Robert

#5 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2006-November-26, 02:14

When we have similar sequences our style is:

1. With lots wasted we bid 3NT

2. A cue-bid typically has a little wasted (but might have none)

3. With nothing wasted you are expected to make a very strong bid at some point - possibly taking control after partner signs off
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users