Posted 2006-November-19, 10:19

Scoring: MP

Bidding
1-p-1-p
2-p-2-p
2NT-p-?

2 NT guarantees a sropper.What next?
Aniruddha
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius".

#2 User is offline   Robert 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Science fiction, science fantasy, military history, bridge<br>Bidding systems nut, I like to learn them and/or build them.<br>History in general(some is dull, but my interests are fairly wide ranging)<br>

Posted 2006-November-19, 11:18

Hi everyone

3Ss. Even if your methods did not force to game(most 4sf methods force to game here) with that 4sf 2H bid, certainly a 3S bid now is game forcing.

Your partner has shown at least 45(54) in the minors plus at a likely 2+ cards in hearts, however, your spade suit does not need trump support.

Playing SAYC or 2/1 methods your partner may be minimum or have quite a good hand since 4th suit forcing is normally forcing to game.

Partner should considerable his hand with a view of bidding a possible slam, 'if' he is not now bidding 4S or 3NT.

If your partner has a hand with Aces and Kings, slam might be good. If partner opened a queen/jack HCP opening because of his minor shape, game(3NT/4S?) is likely your best contract.

Regards,
Robert

#3 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-November-19, 16:00

3S, what else?

That was your plan as you bid 2H?
The stoper in hearts makes your hand
stronger.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2006-November-19, 20:28

This hand is such a good advertisement for a strong jump shift, isn't it? I know they don't come up often but look how much easier the bidding is when they do.
In your posted sequence, 3S now. You surely have to play this as forcing.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2006-November-19, 22:22

The 3 call seems automatic. A larger question is "what next?" If partner bids 4, it seems that this should be a cue in support of spades, IMO. You can now cue 4, isolating the diamond problem and rest comfortable that partner will do the right thing with diamonds controlled. A 4 call from partner, instead of 4, should allow you to take charge instead.

Hopefully, partner will know to cue/raise with stiff King.

If partner cues 4, this is interesting also. Presumably, this will deny K-Q in clubs and two of the top three diamonds, but "slam values." I'd expect something like Kx-Kx-Axxxx-Kxxx. That looks like enough.

If partner simply raises to 4 I'll expect some major flaws. Perhaps diamonds are wide open, or a stiff King in support with an otherwise 4 pattern, or the like. I'll resign to game then.

The real problem is after 3NT. x-Kxx-Axxxx-KQxx works, but x-Kxx-QJxxx-KQJx does not. I want to insist after 3NT by cuebidding 4, a self-setting cuebid, but I'm not sure that this is the proper meaning here. What would I bid with 6214 pattern, for instance? I suppose I'll be "creative" and Last Train 4. This strange-looking call seems to decline both minors, as a simple 4 or 4 call would seem to be a slam move in the respective minors. 4, then, seems to be a semi-quantitative push in spades, stronger than 4 and stronger than an immediate 4 after 2NT. If 4/4/4 would have been a self-splinter after 2NT, a meaning that makes sense if 3/3 would be forcing, then partner should expect this pattern and this type of hand.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is offline   zasanya 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Chess,Scrabble,Bridge

Posted 2006-November-20, 09:14

kenrexford, on Nov 19 2006, 11:22 PM, said:

Hopefully, partner will know to cue/raise with stiff King.

Ty for the replies. Opener does have a stiff K and an ace and 2 more kings.So i suppose he will cue bid .And slam will be bid.On the table Responder who was unsure about how his bids below game would be interpreted, made the imaginative (dubious?) bid of 5 and opener bid 6.
Now East made a lightner double. What do you do now?
Aniruddha
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius".

#7 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2006-November-21, 01:41

I redouble. I see 6 spades, 3 aces and two kings for eleven tricks. Maybe pd has a usefull queen or a length which we can develop. Oh I forgot, I don´t know this because I used the imginative bid of 5
But anyway, I believe, that the double was for strength in diamond, not for a chicane. So I would sit the double because I cannot see how 6 NT will improve my prospects.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users