• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2/1 question

#1 User is offline   jvage 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-November-17, 03:37

With some partners I have recently changed from the traditional style around here (SAYC'ish) to 2/1. I wondered what is the normal way to solve this kind of problems in 2/1. I had:
A8
K97632
QJ

Without interference the bidding started:
1 - 1NT (not 100% forcing)
2 - ?

What would you bid if the small spade was a small diamond?

John

#2 User is offline   Adebisi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2006-November-17, 04:36

Hi, one of the weakest spot in 2/1 is 1S-2H FG. 2C/D FG ok, but if u cant bid 2H after 1S with that hand i guess its not a winning bridge, and that just makes more difficult to describe your hand. Here , coz 1S-1NT-2D-2H is played as weak 6+H, jump to 3H after 2D seems only option.Cheers!

#3 User is offline   Adebisi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2006-November-17, 04:42

:)

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-November-17, 04:42

3 seems normal. This shows an invitational hand with hearts, which is what you have.

If you play an immediate 3 as invitational without spade tollerance, there's an inference that you have a doubleton spades.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   jvage 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-November-17, 05:30

I was asking because I didn't know the correct answer. At the table I didn't like 3 for 2 reasons:
1. The heartsuit is very bad when partner is not known to have any fit. What is partner expected to do with a normal hand without a fit (say Kxxxx, x, Axxx, Axx, even with KQJTx, x, AKxx, Qxx you would like to stop lower)?
2. We have a bid for an invitational hand with hearts (in our system a direct 2 followed by rebidding the suit is the only exception to 2/1 GF), while 3 directly would be artificial. The meaning of a jump to 3 here is undiscussed. Since you have no convenient way to show a maximum 1NT with diamondsupport, wouldn't it be very nice to use this as a strong diamondraise (splinter?) with something like Kx, x, AKxxxx, xxxx?

John

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2006-November-17, 06:52

I would just bid 2, if partner is maximum with fit he'll bid again most of the time...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2006-November-17, 08:22

Judgement call, and a rather difficult one.

With such good fillers for pard's suit, I consider this an invitational hand, so sign-offs like 2 or 2 are out. That leaves 3 and 2NT as options. I dislike 3 on that suit, so I'll just bid 2NT and leave it to pard to bid his fragment if he feels it's right.

#8 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2006-November-17, 08:40

Playing 2/1 Mike Lawrence style, no Bergen Raises

After pards 1 you don't know if your diamonds are worth anything.
A 3 invitational jump shift shows 9-11 HCP. You have 10, but are the QJ really worth anything?
Also, the hearts are poor.

1- 1NT
2 - 3

This shows a weaker hand than 1 - 3

The 2 bid helps your hand (though its likely just 4 cards), but the suit is still poor

Making a 2/1 with a bid like this will damage partnership harmony. It may "work out" but pard will no longer trust your 2/1 bids.

#9 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-November-17, 08:53

I think that this is a fairly clear 2 rebid.

Yes, you have a 10 count. Yes you have nice fillers for partner's Diamonds. However, the main feature of your hand is the heart suit, and your heart suit is very weak. All six card suits are not created equal, and this one lacks texture.

If partner tables a stiff heart - which is damn likely on this auction - you don't want to be playing at the three level. Even if partner has a stiff Queen or stiff Ace, a heart game is looking pretty ugly.

I'd bid a simple 2, natural and non-forcing. If partner has a nice 5=3=4=1 hand, he'll find something to say.
Alderaan delenda est

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2006-November-17, 09:33

Richard, if you had instead

Ax
Kxxx
QJ
xxxxx

wouldn't you be tempted into bidding an inv 2NT?

#11 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-November-17, 09:38

whereagles, on Nov 17 2006, 06:33 PM, said:

Richard, if you had instead

Ax
Kxxx
QJ
xxxxx

wouldn't you be tempted into bidding an inv 2NT?

The hand that you posit is a clear cut 2 rebid.

You have fillers for partner's Diamond suit.
Your remaining points are an Ace and a King, suggesting a suit contract.
You have club length, but no real stopper.

If I weren't playing a forcing NT, I would have responded 1N, Natural and non-forcing.
The QJ tight in Diamonds hasn't re-evaluated enough for me to suppress my Spade support and upgrade this to an 11 count.
Alderaan delenda est

#12 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-17, 11:01

2 and 3 are both available to show heart hands in normal 2/1.

I've switched to intermediate jump shifts, and this hand can be shown via an immediate 3 call. Not playing these, I'd rebid 3 over 2. I hate the suit, but my / honors are really nice. Opposite a mundane: KJxxx, Qx, Axxx, Ax, or KQxxx, x, ATxx, AQx, I want to be in game at IMPs.

At MPs, I'd make the slight underbid of 2.
"Phil" on BBO

#13 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2006-November-17, 11:48

hrothgar, on Nov 17 2006, 03:38 PM, said:

(...)

The QJ tight in Diamonds has re-evaluated enough for me to suppress my Spade support and unpgrade this to an 11 count.

I don't understand it. Do you invite or not? :)

#14 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-November-17, 11:53

whereagles, on Nov 17 2006, 08:48 PM, said:

hrothgar, on Nov 17 2006, 03:38 PM, said:

(...)

The QJ tight in Diamonds has re-evaluated enough for me to suppress my Spade support and unpgrade this to an 11 count.

I don't understand it. Do you invite or not? :)

Soory, that was completely garbled...

I bid a simple 2. I'm not inviting.
Alderaan delenda est

#15 User is offline   HeartA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-17, 12:32

3H over pd's 2D is contradicted with 1NT response, imo. After pd's shows 2 suits (of minimum or close to minimum strength), you try to force pd to bid 3S/3N/4D or play 6-1 hearts at 3 level, my hand is not any better. I would just bid 2.
Senshu

#16 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2006-November-17, 15:06

HeartA, on Nov 17 2006, 10:32 AM, said:

3H over pd's 2D is contradicted with 1NT response, imo. After pd's shows 2 suits (of minimum or close to minimum strength), you try to force pd to bid 3S/3N/4D or play 6-1 hearts at 3 level, my hand is not any better. I would just bid 2.

Disagree.

2 can be rebid with anything from a absolute minimum 20 opener; KQJxx, x, Axxxx, xx to a 17 count with a 5-4 that can't jump shift. Unless you play Gazilli, 2 has a very wide range, and should not be characterized as a minimum or close to minimum.

I realize with upper strength hands that pard will take another call, but if you play 2/1 without IJS, you need to split the range of the single suited hands. Otherwise, 2 can show a 4 count or a bad 12 count.

The crux of the discussion for me is whether or not this hand should be upgraded, and I contend that it should be.
"Phil" on BBO

#17 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2006-November-17, 15:13

I play a varient of Gazilli, so the 2 rebid is very limited. Partner will never be strong after this 2 bid and will be unbalanced (as my 1NT is only semi-forcing). So I will bid 2. Should partner be some 5-3-5-0 or 5-3-4-1 he may raise me anyway. I have to even admit, forgetting about hearts and rebidding a non-forcing and weak 2 appeals to me. I just hope i bid 2 in tempo so partner with good spades and a heart void can find a 2 rebid on his own. Somehow, I will probably tank too long and bar him!
--Ben--

#18 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2006-November-17, 22:03

Very tough decision here as to whether to rebid 2 or 3. (I don't really care for 2NT with what may be wide open and PD having at least 9 cards in the pointed suits.)

Anyhow...I don't play direct IJS, so I have to decide if this is worth a jump invite to 3 and I think it is just good enough. I fear my weak 6 card suit, but have 10 HCP and I think 7 of those HCP may be quite useful to PD.

PD can carry on to 4 if he has a couple cards in support and more than a min or try 3NT if he stops clubs and has more than a min.

I must mention that the more I read and study Gazzilli, the more I like about it. Playing Gazzilli means that opener's 2 rebid is limited so then I'd just bid 2 as game is unlikely unless he has a max for 2 and 3 card support, which will likely get a raise to 3 and I can carry on to game.

.. neilkaz ..

#19 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2006-November-17, 22:54

FWIW, I wouldn't respnd 3 to 1, playing IJS because the QJ are of very questionable value. Once pard bids 2 these are very valuable cards.
"Phil" on BBO

#20 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2006-November-18, 10:47

pclayton, on Nov 17 2006, 11:54 PM, said:

FWIW, I wouldn't respnd 3 to 1, playing IJS because the QJ are of very questionable value. Once pard bids 2 these are very valuable cards.

I don't believe you can assign that much strength to the QJ of diamonds as the 2D bid is only semi-natural playing 2/1. The 2D bid implies that the QJ of diamonds may be worth more but there is not an assurance as partner would be forced to bid 2D with KQxxx, xxx, xxx, AK - KQxxx, Axx, xxx, Kx or the like.

The other problem is that if the QJ of diamonds are of value then the heart K may be worthless when pard holds KQxxx, x, AKxx, xxx.

In my judgement this hand is simply a 2H rebid, which should be slightly constructive - with a very weak hand you would either pass or correct to 2S so when you do bid 2H you should have either a weakish hand with long enough hearts to be O.K. if partner raises to 3 or a semi-constructive hand with as few as 5 hearts.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users