• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-November-07, 13:47

Spicy Dry Cooked Split Green Mung Beans

1 ½ cup split green mung beans (chilkae vaali mung dal), sorted and washed in 3-4 changes of water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ½ teaspoons cumin seed
1 inch cinnamon stick
3 black cardamon seeds, crushed lightly to break the skin
2 tablespoons peeled and finely chopped ginger
1 – 3 fresh green chilis (serranos), minced, with seeds
2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
1/8th teaspoon asafoetida (also called hing. Prevents gas)
¾ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
3 ½ cups – 4 cups water
Fresh lime juice (to taste)
½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup chopped scallions (white parts only)
¼ teaspoon garam masala

1.Cover the dal with 2 inches of water. Let sit 2 hours. Drain.
2.Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add the cumin seeds, cinnamon, and cardamon pods: they should sizzle on contact with the hot oil. Quickly add the ginger and green chilis and stir for 20 seconds. Add tomatos and stir for an additional 1 minute
3.Add the coriander, fenugreek leaves, cumin, turmeric, asafoetida, and salt, then add the dal + all the water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium low and cover the pan. Cook until all of the water has been absorbed and the dal is tender (about 30 minutes)
4.Mix in the lime juice, cilantro, and scallions. Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle the garam masala on top and serve.
Alderaan delenda est

#2 User is offline   joshs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-07, 15:54

Or substitute Lentals for mung beans, manke them into balls and fry them as dumblings (mung beans are too heavy and will collapse into fritters if you try it with them. );

Mmm, Dumplings.

#3 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-08, 11:32

Hey -- have you been spying on me :lol:? That's exactly what I made last night (had some left over stuffed eggplant "subji" to go along w/ it).

As noted, you can make it with other lentils like masoor dal (kind of brownish lentil commonly used in Lebanese cooking too -- it's bright orange when split and w/o a husk). Note that in general, non-split varieties w/ chilka (husk) are best cooked in a pressure cooker (don't blow up your house though :)). The split dehusked ones cook pretty well in a covered vessel (make sure you add at least 2 parts water regardless of the method) and take about 15 minutes or so..
foobar on BBO

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2006-November-09, 03:25

Interesting - I never considered eating mung beans, I only use them for making sprouts (is this the correct English word? You know, letting them rest on a wettish towel for a few days so that they grow into those 5cm (two inches) long white things).

I'll have to make up some vegetarian menu for new years eve. Thought of a hazzlenut pate and waldorf salad. Would it fit with that?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-09, 12:05

helene_t, on Nov 9 2006, 04:25 AM, said:

Interesting - I never considered eating mung beans, I only use them for making sprouts (is this the correct English word? You know, letting them rest on a wettish towel for a few days so that they grow into those 5cm (two inches) long white things).

I'll have to make up some vegetarian menu for new years eve. Thought of a hazzlenut pate and waldorf salad. Would it fit with that?

Don't know what the other two dishes are about, but you can make this dish w/ sprouted mung beans too.

It should go pretty well when served with naan (Indian flat bread)...
foobar on BBO

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-November-09, 12:09

helene_t, on Nov 9 2006, 12:25 PM, said:

I bought a book titled "1000 Indian Recipes" by Neelam Bata...

Amazing range of recipes, many of which are vegan or vegitarian
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   MarceldB 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-November-09, 12:29

akhare, on Nov 8 2006, 07:32 PM, said:

Note that in general, non-split varieties w/ chilka (husk) are best cooked in a pressure cooker (don't blow up your house though :)).

Add some seaweed, especially Kombu; it's reducing the cooking time, more easy to digest and has a good influence on the nutritional value
freedom to use any bidding system
is vital to the development of bidding theory

Lukasz Slawinski, 1978

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-November-09, 12:36

MarceldB, on Nov 9 2006, 09:29 PM, said:

akhare, on Nov 8 2006, 07:32 PM, said:

Note that in general, non-split varieties w/ chilka (husk) are best cooked in a pressure cooker (don't blow up your house though :)).

Add some seaweed, especially Kombu; it's reducing the cooking time, more easy to digest and has a good influence on the nutritional value

Agreed...

I just started trying to figure out Japanese cooking. So far, my "big" discovery has been just how versatile seaweed is... Great stuff and chock full of natural glutamates (MSG without the headache)
Alderaan delenda est

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users