BBO Discussion Forums: Handling two suiters after opener jump rebids a major - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handling two suiters after opener jump rebids a major

#1 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2003-November-10, 19:11

Hi

I am interested in what methods are used to handle two suiters after opener jump rebids a major.

1H 1S
3H

or

1S 2C
3S

etc

Is a new suit natural?

Or do you play a new suit is cue for opener's suit?

TIA

Wayne
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-November-10, 19:32

1H 1S
3H

or

1S 2C
3S

etc

Is a new suit natural?

We play the first sequence as invit and the second as GF. We would also tend to make lighter jumps than most players, the emphasis being on suit quality. So in both cases opener will have a very good suit eg
AQJTxx or similar is expected. 14/15 HCP is enough.

We can do this because opener's 2N rebid in all cases is GF, and can in fact be an unbalanced s/suiter OR have 4 card S support for responder. Resp has a 3C checkback/relay available.*

The implications of this are that responder's second suits after a jumps are cues, agreeing the opened suit. If responder repeats his own suit, that is still a GF, but denies a fit, and conversly shows a very good suit in its own right.

* Here is the structure over 1H 1S 2N for example
2N = generic GF with no side suit, maybe not balanced, maybe 4S-5H-2-2
   3C = waiting
      3D = short D, 6+H, maybe 3S
      3H = 6+H, maybe 3S
      3S = 5H-3S-3-2
      3N = 2533 exactly
      4m = 20-21 4 card support [4-5-2-2] cue-bid
      4H = 17-20 7+ very good H
      4S = 18-19 4S-5H-2-2
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-November-10, 20:41

1S 2C
3S

I play 2C as game force, so I use 3S very sparingly.

Here is a very useful convention to use on this auction known as "optional blackwood" based upon either a self-supported major or huge club fit So, I use the jump to 3S as optional BLACKWOOD (6 key cards both bid suit). Responder can bid 3NT (denies interest in showing keycards), or 4C = 1/4, 4D = 0/3, 4H=2 no Q, 4S=2+CQ, 4NT=2 key cards, 2Q. Opener can rebid 4C over 3NT is blackwood which demands a response.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   mjmassi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-December-06, 16:45

After 1H-1S-3H, assuming standard methods, I agree that the auction is a problem. A simple approach would be to play 4 of either minor as natural and 5 of a minor as a cuebid for hearts.

Alternatively, one could play 4 of a minor as ambiguous, either a cuebid or natural, but always with slam interest. Opener's return to 4H is negative, 4NT is RKC for hearts (self sufficient hearts), and anything else is a forward going cuebid, with strain still ambiguous but hearts assumed for the moment.

Over that, responder rebids 4H (or 5H) to show a slam try in hearts nonforcing; either one of his own suits as natural and nonforcing with slam interest; 4NT as RKC for hearts; the fourth suit to show a control there while agreeing hearts; and 5NT as a three way choice of slams.

Sample auctions with the ambiguous 1H-1S-3H-4m

1H 1S 3H 4D 4H(neg) 4S Likely 6-5 with slam interest.
1H 1S 3H 4C 4D(cue) 4S The same.
1H 1S 3H 4C 4D(cue) 4H Heart slam try.
1H 1S 3H 4C 4D(cue) 4NT RKC for hearts.
1H 1S 3H 4D 4S(cue) 5D Two suiter, slam interest, nonforcing.
1H 1S 3H 4D 4S(cue) 5H Heart slam try missing a club control.
1H 1S 3H 4D 4S(cue) 5C Heart slam try with the club control.
1H 1S 3H 4C 4D(cue) 5NT Three way choice of slams.
1H 1S 3H 4C 4D(cue) 6C Slam in one of responder's suits only.

This concept can be applied in the auction 1S-2x-3S as well, if 3S does not promise a soild or near-solid suit.

Mike M.

#5 User is offline   michael_sun 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-December-06, 19:59

1S 2C
3S

I play 2C as game force, so I use 3S very sparingly.

Here is a very useful convention to use on this auction known as "optional blackwood" based upon either a self-supported major or huge club fit So, I use the jump to 3S as optional BLACKWOOD (6 key cards both bid suit). Responder can bid 3NT (denies interest in showing keycards), or 4C = 1/4, 4D = 0/3, 4H=2 no Q, 4S=2+CQ, 4NT=2 key cards, 2Q. Opener can rebid 4C over 3NT is blackwood which demands a response.

you use jump rebid as blackwood, then if your suit is solid one with some extra lengths and values, how do you describe it?

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-December-06, 21:19

you use jump rebid as blackwood, then if your suit is solid one with some extra lengths and values, how do you describe it?

Hi, Michael

Remember, I said I use this jump after 2/1 very sparingly, and that is true. Also, remember, my partner can at first REFUSE to cooperate by showing his key cards. The first step is artificial and refuses to show keycards. I can then accept that and bid naturally (except for the next step which forces him to show keycards if I like).

My system is also a little different perhaps from standard as ACOL two of a major hands are taken out of the mix, so my jump rebid here carries some negative inference.

Now then, for what might a hand look? It is almost always a very strong hand with a self-supporting suit (my suit will be trumps), but with two loser (or more) in it. The reason for the two loser (or more) requirement is that i must have a good hand and long suit, so why not open with the acol 2 bid? The answer is my acol promise a suit with 1 loser opposite a singleton.

So... typically the bid is something like....

S-QJT9xxx H-KQJ D-AK C-x

and if partner denied showing key cards (by bidding 3NT), I would ask again anyway, in case he was depressed looking at: S-K H-Axx D-xxx C-AJTxxx, When he shows 3 keycards, we play 6S, otherwise 4S.

Another hand is one with a great fit for parnter and a good suit of my own. Something like...

S-AQJ9xx H-x D-Kx C-KQx

This hand couldn't be opened with ACOL 2 under my system as it has only 4 controls, I need five.

Here partner with bunches of clubs and a spade void might well decline showing number of keycards by bidding 3NT again.

Ben
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2003-December-07, 13:12

Hi Wayne!
1HE-1SP, 3HE: by way I prefer to play it (like Free) show 3 card support in SP. Nice 4CL relay for short suit can be played then.
1SP-2CL, 3SP: I play it with Ben as he describe in his post here. But if 2CL show natural suit is better in my opinion to play it as 3 card support in CL too, because jump bids take too much space and must be more determined. With 1 suited or balanced hand you can play some kind of rf/relay bids.
Misho
MishoVnBg

#8 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2003-December-27, 15:33

Hi

I am interested in what methods are used to handle two suiters after opener jump rebids a major.

1H 1S
3H

or

1S 2C
3S

etc

Is a new suit natural?

TIA

Wayne

First about the 2nd hand, I play 2/1 so 2 CL is already GF and 3 Sp shows solid spades and slam interest.
First hand I play new suit cuebid for pd, otherwise I'll bid 3 ntor 4 of his major.
Easy game isn't it hehehe.

Mike ;D
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users