BBO Discussion Forums: 3 suiter when P opens 1N and RHO interferes - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 suiter when P opens 1N and RHO interferes What do you do ?

Poll: Your call? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. 4S (12 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Double for penalties (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 5D (16 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

4. Other (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Blofeld 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:mathematics, science fiction, Tolkien, go, fencing, word games, board games, bad puns, juggling, Mornington Crescent, philosophy, Tom Lehrer, rock climbing, jootsing, drinking tea, plotting to take over the world, croquet . . . and most other things, really.

Posted 2006-October-16, 05:57

SoTired, on Oct 13 2006, 01:25 PM, said:

To Justin: Yes, of course. Using probability and expectations for most repeatable gambling decisions and choosing the option with the highest expectation will result in long term gain. But this is a different situation. You have no way to determine the percentage chances for slam, nor ensure that you are getting to the right one. It would take a serious DD analysis to determine your actual chances. So in this case, "Take your money and run" is good advice.

I don't believe that this is a different situation. The odds of making slam that you must use are not of course the odds that you'd calculate if you could see partner's hand, but the odds you can guess at in this one-handed position and knowing that partner opened 1NT.

Estimating these odds well is one of the hardest parts of bridge!

#22 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2006-October-16, 12:29

If I bid 5 here GIB will probably pass it.

#23 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-October-16, 15:00

Jlall, on Oct 11 2006, 01:00 PM, said:

4S seemed automatic to me at first...thinking it over it is closer than I though, but I'd just bid 4S. There are a LOT of losers partner has to cover, and theres no reason (from my point of view) to place RHO with the AKQ of diamonds. In fact, I would bet on partner having one of those cards if you gave me even money.

yes i would expect opp to be bidding on some sort of hand that he feels he cant beat 3nt on

#24 User is offline   HeartA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-October-16, 15:31

Jlall, on Oct 11 2006, 01:00 PM, said:

4S seemed automatic to me at first...thinking it over it is closer than I though, but I'd just bid 4S. There are a LOT of losers partner has to cover, and theres no reason (from my point of view) to place RHO with the AKQ of diamonds. In fact, I would bet on partner having one of those cards if you gave me even money.

Well, if 4D bidder had DAKQ....., we should be in grand. Since I don't expect pd had nothing in D, I am looking for small slam only.
Senshu

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users