• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfer Checkback

#1 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-December-04, 16:00

Pd and I have just changed from 2 way checkback to transfer checkback, it seems to work well and I would like some feedback on this as well. (As you can see from my other post, we are in a major stage of system revision).

1C 1H
1N Now
2C = puppet to 2D, , or beginning of invit sequence
2D = t/fer to H, can be weak or beginning of GF
2H = t/f to S, inv at least
2S = puppet to 2N to show invit hands with 4M and long m or 4441s
2N = normal
3m = invit 5/5

Say you hold a decent
xxxx
xxxxx
xxx
x

Now...

1C 1H
1N 2H t/f to S
2S 3D = fragment

So you have completed hand description

Any thoughts, comments?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2003-December-05, 07:33

Seems pretty fine. Do you always bid 1NT with balanced hand and also 4 card S? And should the transfer always promise 5+H and 4+S?

I usually play some sort of Checkback where the 2C-bidder asks about the shape of the balanced hand, which we all know should be the other way around. The problem with reversing this, is that the leader doesn't know a lot of HCP strength. The responder is at least invitational, but that's it. You probably have a system for slam aproach after such relays?

What do you do with 4-4-3-2 and FG hand? 3NT, 2C, 2H?

Free
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-05, 08:05

Pd and I have just changed from 2 way checkback to transfer checkback, it seems to work well and I would like some feedback on this as well. (As you can see from my other post, we are in a major stage of system revision).

1C 1H
1N Now
2C = puppet to 2D, , or beginning of invit sequence
2D = t/fer to H, can be weak or beginning of GF
2H = t/f to S, inv at least
2S = puppet to 2N to show invit hands with 4M and long m or 4441s
2N = normal
3m = invit 5/5

Say you hold a decent
xxxx
xxxxx
xxx
x

Now...

1C 1H
1N 2H t/f to S
2S 3D = fragment

So you have completed hand description

Any thoughts, comments?

When you transfer to hearts with 2h, opener is expected to bid 2h with 2/3 hearts then with the GF hand you bid again to show GF and opener is now expected to show 3 card heart support if he has it?
I think this approach loses a lot of bidding space for bidding hands where responder has a major and opener support or where responder has support for opener's minor and a 5 card major. You need to ask for 3 card support and they if not you have to show support for the minor.. how do you handle that?
The legend of the black octogon.

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-December-05, 18:31

Free:
Do you always bid 1NT with balanced hand and also 4 card S? And should the transfer always promise 5+H and 4+S?

Yes, 1N rebid can have a 4 card S suit
Opener is limited to 11-15. With a strong hand resp can cue if support is shown, bid serious 3N or quantitative 4N

Luis:
When you transfer to hearts with 2h, opener is expected to bid 2h with 2/3 hearts then with the GF hand you bid again to show GF and opener is now expected to show 3 card heart support if he has it?
I think this approach loses a lot of bidding space for bidding hands where responder has a major and opener support or where responder has support for opener's minor and a 5 card major. You need to ask for 3 card support and they if not you have to show support for the minor.. how do you handle that?

It is a sort of relay style where responder describes his hand shape and opener makes the decision. It is true that showing the 3 card support is delayed for one round, but opposed to that opener knows the resp's full shape.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users