• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why not electronic hand records?

#21 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-November-08, 00:12

I live in the country and my local bridge club (Echuca Bridge Club) runs two sessions per week at the local senior citizen's centre, one gets about 4 tables and the other gets about 7 tables. It is non-profit, has a playing director and charges about US$3 table fees.

They bought a dealing machine years ago and use predealt hands with hand records for all of their duplicates. I think this is quite the norm for Australian Bridge Clubs.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#22 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2006-November-08, 00:37

Elecronic hand records could almost convince me to move back down under - does NZ have the same? :)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#23 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2006-November-08, 00:52

Typically we have printed hand records with DF data after most club sessions (at least at the club where I play) and tournament sessions.

I have tried to get electronic records made available at some events but so far this has not been successful.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#24 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2006-November-08, 01:04

and the card fee?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#25 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-November-08, 13:52

I did notice that ACBL now has the hand records posted for all the sessions of the last two NABC's.

On the rare occasions that we have pre-dealt hands with hand records at our club most of the hand records are still sitting on the table when I clean up after the game.

BTW, doesn't a dealing machine cost about $5,000?
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-08, 14:54

The machine itself runs about $3000, I think, but by the time you get through buying new card decks and boards to go with it, you're probably close to 5.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is online   awm 

Posted 2006-November-08, 15:03

It also seems that most (if not all) dealing machines are made in Australia. This would tend to make them cheaper and easier to acquire (and also easier to fix/maintain) in Australia than in other parts of the world.

As for the hand records, a lot of it is whether you're used to it. Introduce hand records in a club that doesn't usually provide them, and the members will tend not to pick them up. Take away hand records in a club that does usually provide them and people will complain.

Recently I played in a club in the US that didn't have bid boxes, much less hand records. I guess we're just behind the times. :P
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#28 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-November-08, 15:17

awm, on Nov 9 2006, 12:03 AM, said:

It also seems that most (if not all) dealing machines are made in Australia. This would tend to make them cheaper and easier to acquire (and also easier to fix/maintain) in Australia than in other parts of the world.

As for the hand records, a lot of it is whether you're used to it. Introduce hand records in a club that doesn't usually provide them, and the members will tend not to pick them up. Take away hand records in a club that does usually provide them and people will complain.

Recently I played in a club in the US that didn't have bid boxes, much less hand records. I guess we're just behind the times. :P

A few years back, I tried to get the MIT bridge club to consider purchasing a dealing machine. I argued that locals clubs, including MIT should purchase machines and use them for club nights. The clubs could also rent the machines to EMBA (the Eastern Massachusetts Bridge Association) for sectionals, regionals and the like. I'd be perfectly happy with the converse ... EMBA would purchase the machines and rent them to local clubs for club nights, however, MIT was pretty flush compared to EMBA.

The suggestion never made it very far, since the locals really didn't understand what they were missing. I've played in a fair number of tournaments over in Europe. I think that the Dealing machines really improve the flow of the game. There are also a number of formats like Barometer pairs that really can't be run without dealing machines. (Imagine trying to preduplicate boards for a decent sized barometer...)

The 3K price tag looks about right. As Adam mentioned, a lot of the machines seem to come from Oz, though there is at least one Swedish manufacturer.
Alderaan delenda est

#29 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-November-08, 15:32

awm, on Nov 8 2006, 04:03 PM, said:

:P Did you have playing cards that did not stick together at least?

#30 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2006-November-08, 17:04

I played the one game in my bridge life without bidding boxes in Pompano Beach, FL, and enjoyed it immensely - it was a shame I was not able to get back there. I remember getting a 2nd or 3rd out of that.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#31 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2006-November-08, 18:30

jillybean2, on Nov 8 2006, 07:04 PM, said:

and the card fee?

The card fee is expensive you may not be able to afford it.

For a club session we pay $NZ3 a bit less than $US2

We have had the same fee since 1991 when I was President of the bridge club.

A tournament usually costs around $NZ10 ($US6) per session. Included in that fee is prize money and a meal and sometimes drinks.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#32 User is offline   GeeGee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-November-09, 09:21

When I retire, in a year or two, I'm emigrating to NZ :P

Geoff

#33 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2006-November-09, 14:31

Why did I ever leave NZ? Alas when I lived in NZ I thought the game was for old people and nerds :)

Yesterday for Canadian$8 I got to shuffle my own cards and a playing director!
No handrecords. I guess we pay for the MP's

The Sectional this weekend is C$10 non acbl members, if you are an acbl member they take a buck off that. That included finger food and tea/coffee at the last sectional I played in.

jb
(still learning)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users