9-15 5-card major openings

#1 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-August-25, 08:23

1) The auction begins 1-(2) and you hold:

a) xxx Ax KQJxxx Qx
bee) xx Ax KQJxxx Qxx
c) xx K107x KQ7x Jxx (partner reopens with a double)

Do you do the same thing that you would do with these types of hands in standard (if you held 2 fewer HCP) or do you have a different philosophy?

-Noble

#2 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2006-August-25, 21:22

a) xxx Ax KQJxxx Qx
bee) xx Ax KQJxxx Qxx
c) xx K107x KQ7x Jxx (partner reopens with a double)

Hand 1: That six card suit is rather alluring, and with the A-x of hearts being offensive values, you need some mechanism to find out if pard has a full opener versus a shape hand (this predicates that 9-10 point balanced hands are mostly passed initially). With Larry and I we use 2NT as either an offensive limit raise or a weak hand that's getting out in 3 of a suit beneath opener - this is a clear 2NT call.

Hand 2: Missing that 3rd spade, bidding 3 seems right, but can really hang partner if they opened a 9-10 count with spades-clubs. However, double leaves you in a worse situation - if LHO trots out their cutesy courtesy raise you're in trouble. I think you got to bid and hope for the best - the 5-2 4S game looks reasonable on this layout and you're ruffing hearts in the right hand.

Hand 3: Pard was kind enough to reopen for us, showing a full hand with tolerance for anything you call. If playing MPs, I pass and try for a top - with that nice side suit of diamonds and probably 2 heart winners in the slot, the field in general may not a) reopen with a double, B) may stretch to a contract that has poor play and c) +300/+500 should get you a good segment of MPs, only losing to the game bids that are making, which is unlikely - pard probably has 2 hearts. However at IMPs, things become a little different because of the fear of -470/-670, especially at Swiss. At Swiss I take a call out of fear that if red on white, a double swing might occur. At KO's, it depends on where you are in the match - if behind you probably are swinging at it is and therefore you're put to a guess on what your counterparts' actions will be; I pass and try for the maximum simply because the caliber of opponents we play at would make the same types of actions. If ahead tho, I take insurance and make a call - probably 2NT feels right.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-August-26, 00:40

This depends a bit on the style of 9-15 opening. If you open basically "all 9s" then I agree with treating the responding hand as 2 points lighter and bidding accordingly. Thus I would make a limit raise on the first hand, double (planning to correct to diamonds) on the second, and pass on the third (close between pass and 2 though and might chicken out at IMPs).

However, the style of 9-15 opening I typically play (which I think you play also) generally opens 7 loser hands, and in the presence of a real fit one can bid as though opener had serious values. In this case I game force on hand one (fit jump perhaps?), but still double first on hand two and have the same decision on hand three.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users