Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What if?

#1 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-August-02, 11:03

What if you had some definitive proof that there was life after death? I realize this is a little open-ended, but some examples would be:

1) Heaven, nirvana, etc..
2 ) Reincarnation
3) Some other 'state'

If this is hard to digest, imagine the opposite that would be when you die, it is as if someone pulls an electrical plug out of the wall.

How would this change your ideas about God? About religion? About spirtuality?
"Phil" on BBO

#2 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2006-August-02, 11:12

Phil,

I'll get back with you, after I consult a higher power. :)
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-August-02, 11:26

Very much depends on Who/What that higher power is...

Consider the following
http://bellend.strto...~tyler/cthulhu/
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-02, 11:50

We have definitive proof. Citing the law of conservation of energy, we are here....to stay, in one form or another. The form is up for speculation perhaps, not our existance. Wherein the multiverse concept of existence because unique states are the exception, repetitive states (re-incarnative perhaps) are the norm.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#5 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-02, 12:25

hrothgar, on Aug 2 2006, 09:26 AM, said:

Very much depends on Who/What that higher power is...

Consider the following
http://bellend.strto...~tyler/cthulhu/

Gross!

On the other hand, I'll bet I'd be mighty tasty with a dry rub and then barbequed with an apricot sauce.

Do you think this necro dude would mind if I nibbled on a phlanges or two, ....mm, yum.
"Phil" on BBO

#6 User is offline   DrTodd13 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-02, 12:48

We should start referring to this as the religion of the multiverse. According to the widely accepted definition of science, the multiverse cannot be a scientific theory because, more than likely, it is not falsifiable. Once scientists realized the degree to which the parameters of the universe appear to be fine-tuned to support life, they realized they had a problem. There are many seemingly valid universes that couldn't support even atoms let alone humans so how did we wind up here? This begged the question of a creator and people created hypotheses that again did away with the creator. The problem is that at this point in time, there is no evidence whatsoever to say that there exists anything outside our seemingly 4 dimensional universe. There is no proof of other dimensions nor proof of other universes. There is some slim hope that they'll be able to show that we truly live in a higher dimensional universe by showing that gravity is leaking between dimensions but as far as I know, no one has suggested that you'll ever be able to experimentally test a multiverse hypothesis. Without experimentation, what you have is a faith and not science.

#7 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-02, 12:52

So, for now, scientific proof of our existance without the need for a "God" is a matter of faith....argh, although we may have a chance for proof that doesnt involve the end of all things (like the corollary)....we hope.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2006-August-02, 18:30

My definition of death is the end of life. Thus it's actually tautological that there is no life after death.

Ludwig Wittgenstein: Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus said:

6.4311  Death is not an event of life. Death is not lived through.

If by eternity is understood not endless temporal duration but timelessness, then he lives eternally who lives in the present.

Our life is endless in the way that our visual field is without limit.

6.4312  The temporal immortality of the human soul, that is to say, its eternal survival after death, is not only in no way guaranteed, but this assumption in the first place will not do for us what we always tried to make it do. Is a riddle solved by the fact that I survive for ever? Is this eternal life not as enigmatic as our present one? The solution of the riddle of life in space and time lies outside space and time.

(It is not problems of natural science which have to be solved.)

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-August-03, 06:28

pclayton, on Aug 3 2006, 03:03 AM, said:

What if you had some definitive proof that there was life after death? I realize this is a little open-ended, but some examples would be:

1) Heaven, nirvana, etc..
2 ) Reincarnation
3) Some other 'state'

If this is hard to digest, imagine the opposite that would be when you die, it is as if someone pulls an electrical plug out of the wall.

How would this change your ideas about God? About religion? About spirtuality?

NO NO & NO :)

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-03, 06:50

Once it becomes possible to record the human soul and store it on a digital medium, we could live "forever" - that is, until our civilization becomes to degenerated to keep soul-emulating computers functioning.

When that happens, I might reconsider the investment strategy of my retirement funds. But in terms of spirituality etc., nothing will change.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users