Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4H opener?

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-July-31, 09:27

What would be a 4H opener for you in first seat NV vs Vul. Please assume no Namyats or similiar conventions. Please assume you do not have the Q of H! ;)

#2 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-31, 09:30

With Brian its a hand that can 6 tricks. x, KQJxxxx, xxx, xx or x, KJTxxx, xxxxx, x (really) would both qualify.

For sane people, x, KJTxxxxx, xx, xx looks more accurate.
"Phil" on BBO

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-31, 09:40

I have a theory that the preempt style should be more sensitive to vulnerability at IMPs than at matchpoints.

At IMPs, when you're NV against V, there's more to when by destroying opps' constructive auction than there is to loose by destroying your own. So I would open 4 on just about anything (well, little bit exagerated, but you get my point).

At matchpoints, the scale goes from 0% to 100% no matter the vulnerability and no matter whose game it is, so you should show dicipline, even at NV vs V.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2006-July-31, 10:13

AKJ to 7 and out. If you have the 10 too, it's a bonus.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2006-July-31, 10:55

I hate opening 4 without the Queen ;)

AKJxxxx is ok but NOT if 2722...but I'd probably do it anyway... can't see 3

AJxxxxxx (I think there are 6 x's there) is ok

KJxxxxxx is ok as well, altho I'd like the 10

there are some other 7 card suits I'd open 4 with at favourable but I'd want to be 74 or better.

I suspect that, by the standards of posters here, I am on the conservative side for 4-level bidding. Maybe because I know that I, as defender, tend to pass doubles of 4M openings quite often... :P I see little long term upside in going for 500-800 against vulnerable games... and the weaker the playing hand, the more likely these outcomes (or worse) become. If your opps tend to be pushed around, then loosen up... .altho against such opps, you probably already have an edge.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-31, 12:21

Well I don't normally open at the four-level on six card suits... so I'd want at least seven hearts to a top honor. But with seven hearts to one top honor and out I would probably bid three. I think basically:

(1) Seven hearts to AKJ is a 4-bid at favorable unless 2722 shape.
(2) Seven hearts to the KJ or AJ with a four card side suit to an honor.
(3) Seven hearts to the KJ or AJ with a weak five-card side suit
(4) Eight hearts to the KJ or AJ.
(5) Nine hearts to the A or K, or JT-ninth with a side card.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#7 User is offline   HeartA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-31, 14:00

My theory for preemptive is 2-3-4: 2 tricks short for red to green, 3 for equal vulnerability, and 4 for green to red. With NV vs. Vul, 4H opening show 6-trick hand, the same as Phil stated.
Senshu

#8 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2006-July-31, 17:51

awm, on Jul 31 2006, 01:21 PM, said:

Well I don't normally open at the four-level on six card suits... so I'd want at least seven hearts to a top honor. But with seven hearts to one top honor and out I would probably bid three. I think basically:

Agree

Even though the vulnerability is favorable, IMO, one needs to maintain some degree of structure or discipline to 1st or 2nd seat pre-empts because partner might have a very good hand that will need to be able to estimate slam potential. Becoming too undisciplined in the name of pressure bidding might win some hands, but IMO it might also result in partner getting the partnership overboard if he/she bases further action on the assumption that the 4H bidder has something that approaches a theoretical template or typical hand for a 4H opener. It can be helpful if partner has some idea of what you have in your hand. If partner is a passed hand, then just about anything goes.

Disclaimer: This opinion is not meant for players under the age of 30 years (including juniors).

DHL
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#9 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2006-July-31, 18:05

Double !, on Jul 31 2006, 06:51 PM, said:

awm, on Jul 31 2006, 01:21 PM, said:

Agree

Even though the vulnerability is favorable, IMO, one needs to maintain some degree of structure or discipline to 1st or 2nd seat pre-empts because partner might have a very good hand that will need to be able to estimate slam potential. Becoming too undisciplined in the name of pressure bidding might win some hands, but IMO it might also result in partner getting the partnership overboard if he/she bases further action on the assumption that the 4H bidder has something that approaches a theoretical template or typical hand for a 4H opener. It can be helpful if partner has some idea of what you have in your hand. If partner is a passed hand, then just about anything goes.

Disclaimer: This opinion is not meant for players under the age of 30 years (including juniors).

DHL

Nice posts here ! I am just a touch more aggressive at favorable and would bid 4H with AKJxxxx regardless of shape. I'm unlikely to have two aces since PD may sac when we can set them.

If I feel on the borderline between 3 or 4H, posession of the T or better yet T9 may swing me to push since I'm less likely to be crushed by a stack.

What is the current "expert" standard for competing vs a 4H preempt ?

I like double really stress spades, and 4NT to mean pick a minor. In response to the double of 4H I like 4NT to mean that I don't have spades and want to play in opener's best minor.

.. neilkaz ..

#10 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2006-July-31, 22:35

AKJ to 7 and out, regardless of shape.
AJ, KJ to 8 and out.

Defences to 4H? X suggests 3 suited takeout, 4NT is a 2 suited takeout, not necessarily the minors.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#11 User is offline   willow23 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Boardgames / Sports /Playstation2 / Computers / Meeting new/interesting people.

Posted 2006-July-31, 23:03

I reckon 7-8 !h with 2/3 or 3/5 top honors...of course side singletons and voids are a given... :unsure:

Poker face required... :D
Willow23

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users