Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LOTT And IMPs

#1 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-November-21, 11:44

Last night, one of my prospective teammates at a pairs event made suggestions about IMP bidding, most of which were familiar to me.

However, she said "don't compete too hard for part scores". It was 11 at night, so the conversation ended.

Do you agree, and if so in what circumstances would you compete less?

On part scores, I know that you should choose the safer contract (bailing to a minor rather than risking 1NT or 2NT), but what else? Careful of LOTT vul?

Peter

#2 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-November-21, 14:46

Last night, one of my prospective teammates at a pairs event made suggestions about IMP bidding, most of which were familiar to me.

However, she said "don't compete too hard for part scores". It was 11 at night, so the conversation ended.

On part scores, I know that you should choose the safer contract (bailing to a minor rather than risking 1NT or 2NT), but what else? Careful of LOTT vul?

Peter

Sarcasm warning:- Clearly "don't compete too hard" is correct. That is the meaning of the phrase "too hard". A more difficult question is "How hard is too hard?".

I think the two main rules of competitive bidding apply pretty much equally to all forms of the game, and will stop you competing "too hard".

1) If you have described your hand, leave further bidding up to partner.

2) Try and play the hand when your hand is offensive, and defend when your hand is defensive.

As to the other things you mention:

In one sense it is less dangerous at IMPs to compete the part score when vulnerable because the opponents will be scared of doubling you into game. At MPs they are sometimes forced to double you to try for +200 when you have stoped them trying for +110/+140.

Also, while 2m may be safer than 1NT when considering just your two hands, it often makes it easier for the opponents to find their 2M contract.

Please bear in mind when considering this advice that my IMP results are generally lousy.

Eric

#3 User is offline   irdoz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-November-21, 19:39

I saw an analysis of okbridge hands on bidding at the 3 level in IMPs in competitive auctions (ie part score battles) which indicated in IMPs the 3-level belongs to the opps when their suit is the lower suit.

In MPs and nv I'll often bid 3 of my suit over 3 of their suit.

In IMPs I'll often bid to the 3 level when our side owns the lower suit (in the typical example where we make 2h and they make 2s)... the only hope of going plus is pushing them to bid one more.

But in IMPs I'll rarely outcompete them on the 3-level unless I have some game interest.

There are other aspects of competiting in part scores in IMPs - for example balancing - Ill rarely balance in IMPs when it forces partner to the 3 level.

#4 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-November-27, 05:42

OK my 2cents worth ;D
"I don't believe in compteting "too hard" for part scores" - IMHO competing for part scores is MORE difficult than bidding the COLD game Small slam OR Grand slam :B)

In COMPETITIVE auctions I think LOTT is good cos it TENDS to tell you at which LEVEL is "safe" to bid ---- BUT YOU have to eveluate the information according to
1>WHAT suit you and opps are bidding
2> relative vul of sides

LOTS of times you get REALLY good scores if you evaluate these things correctly --- MAYBE more @ MPS than IMPS i agree B)

Peter

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users