• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play a simple 1NT

#1 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-June-29, 06:35

Scoring: MP

South's 1NT opener ends the auction against opposition you are told are competent. West leads 3 (4th from good suits) and East plays the 10.

In terms of everyday hands I find these the hardest. They are also difficult to pose as problems as there is so much missing information, but this will not stop me asking ;)

So what is your outline plan for playing this hand? Do you win the first diamond and where will you seek to develop tricks?

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#2 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-29, 07:36

I win the first trick and lead a low spade.

I expect to go down, along with the field.

Peter

#3 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2006-June-29, 10:41

:) Well, well. We have five top tricks and another trick due us in hearts, although we may have to lose two tricks first. I want them to lead either black suit. So, maybe its best to duck one round of diamonds. Assuming they continue, I will win the trick and start hearts from my hand.

#4 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-29, 13:18

Duck the first diamond. If West has led from a five card suit, East must return something that is likely to help you.

If East does manage to lead a second diamond, win the Ace, and lead the heart 9.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#5 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-29, 13:50

cardsharp, on Jun 29 2006, 04:35 AM, said:

South's 1NT opener ends the auction against opposition you are told are competent. West leads 3 (4th from good suits) and East plays the 10.

In terms of everyday hands I find these the hardest. They are also difficult to pose as problems as there is so much missing information, but this will not stop me asking :angry:

So what is your outline plan for playing this hand? Do you win the first diamond and where will you seek to develop tricks?

Paul

I can smell a blockage in the diamond suit and it looks like RHO has JT. LHO would lead the Q from QJ9x(x)

So I'll win the 1st; run the J (covered probably); I'll win and shoot one back to the 9.

Assume RHO wins and plays the J. I'll now duck and RHO has to give me a little help.
"Phil" on BBO

#6 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2006-June-29, 15:28

Contract: 1NT (South)
Lead: 3

This is the full hand and I followed Peter's line and eventually came to 7 tricks (which I was reasonable happy with) as they misdefended by not covering the heart when I led the J.

I also gave the hand to GIB. It ducked the first diamond and the subsequent spade switch. West continued diamonds and GIB switched to the J. This was covered but East won the heart return to continue spades. GIB's line depends on guessing clubs (GIB went down).

At the club everyone else was making eight tricks for +120. Perhaps none of the West's ducked the club at the end or they crashed the diamonds (i smelled a blockage too, but it was just an unusual (bizarre?) lead).

Looking at the hand again I think the heart leaders have the best line.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-29, 23:55

cardsharp, on Jun 29 2006, 09:28 PM, said:

I also gave the hand to GIB. It ducked the first diamond and the subsequent spade switch. West continued diamonds and GIB switched to the J. This was covered but East won the heart return to continue spades. GIB's line depends on guessing clubs (GIB went down).

Am I right that GIB doesn't "realise" that a line will involve guessing because the way it thinks is to imagine a lot of hands for the defense and then solves them double dummy?

Or to give another example, will it necessarily find a 100% line if there is also a two way finesse position which, in its simulations, it always gets right?

#8 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2006-June-30, 01:13

You are right that GIB on BBO can see all four hands and provides double dummy analysis.

If you own the GIB product then you can ask it to play hands outside of the BBO environment. I believe it plays hand by simulating the whole layout and taking the best percentage line, but of course this does not mean that it will always make. On this particular hand it looks likely the club position will always remain a guess.

Paul
The Beer Card

#9 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2006-June-30, 17:20

well i think phil's reasoning and line is superior... your lho *should* have led the Q from that holding :rolleyes:
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users