Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unusual 2NT, weak or strong only

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2006-June-22, 07:22

You play that an unusual 2NT overcall is weak or strong only, therefore hands that are in between (11-16 or so) overcall a suit first and then bid the other one if the auction looks appropriate.

So you hold:

Scoring: MPs

Auction proceeds:

1 2NT 4 5
Pass ?

5 means that partner thinks that 5 will either make or be a good sacrifice opposite the weak version of the overcall.

Do you bid again?

Do you agree with calling this the strong version of the hand?

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2006-June-22, 07:34

You probably have no club losers, and the diamond hook will be on if needed, so no diamond losers either. So slam just depends upon rather partner has a major suit ACE or not.

Here, there is simply no way to bid or pass with complete confidence. However, with all your points, partner was clearly "taking the save", which suggest he may lack a sure defensive trick. So for better or worse I will pass. Maybe just partners braveness to bid 5C has won the board for us as others might have passed with his obviously weak hand. If this was IMPs where 5Cx down two is hardly a great victory (but 5Cx down 3 is not a disaster), I would think partner must have something else for his bid, and I would bid 6C.

I think I would have overcalled 2NT with this hand, as I would not like to make a bidding decision after (1H)-2D-(4H)-P-P
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2006-June-22, 08:40

There are pretty good chances we're two aces off, so pass.

#4 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-22, 09:18

Pard is saving with Q-5th of clubs.

I have a 20 count, RHO has 11 or more. LHO could have zero, whiich leaves 9 outstanding - very likely the Q, K and the A.

Pard needs SPECIFICALLY the A for 6 to be right. Something of a longshot don't you think?

Pard will be relieved not to hear the opps x, and will be delighted with your hand for 11 tricks.

Be a good pard and pass. :)
"Phil" on BBO

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-22, 10:01

While there's a good chance you're making 5, even that isn't a sure thing (K doesn't have to be in opener's hand). And if not, this could easily have been a phantom save, since I can see 4 defensive tricks in your hand (if declarer has an entry to dummy, he'll probably finesse into your singleton K).

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-22, 10:29

Again if you are going to overcall 1H with up to 19hcp in the other post why not just overcall 2d and bid out your shape, once again the evil 2 suited bid backfires in the forum.

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

• Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2006-June-22, 11:42

mike777, on Jun 22 2006, 11:29 AM, said:

Again if you are going to overcall 1H with up to 19hcp in the other post why not just overcall 2d and bid out your shape, once again the evil 2 suited bid backfires in the forum.

Because there is a fair chance to bid out your shape you may be forced to bid 4 or 5's at your second opportunity. On some strong hands you either wouldn't mind this, or you would have sufficient stregnth to know that double of their high level bid would be more apporpriate. Dont count points so much..
--Ben--

#8 User is offline   Blofeld 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:mathematics, science fiction, Tolkien, go, fencing, word games, board games, bad puns, juggling, Mornington Crescent, philosophy, Tom Lehrer, rock climbing, jootsing, drinking tea, plotting to take over the world, croquet . . . and most other things, really.

Posted 2006-June-22, 17:39

mike777, on Jun 22 2006, 11:29 AM, said:

Doesn't 2NT do a better job of bidding out your shape? Especially as a lot of the time you'll be able to double next, giving partner a pretty good description of your hand.

I side with the passers. 6 may be there, but it may well not. No room to find out, so let's go with the (probable) plus score.

#9 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-June-22, 19:39

Ok but shape is not all. You are going to bid again over 3 level why not just start with 2d and then clubs even if high level or x or 4nt, oh well. This at least shows some outside defensive bidding this way. I think 2nt and then 5 would show more concentrated values but .....
My main argument again is 2 suited bids are overused and misused.

#10 User is online   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2006-June-23, 01:15

Pass. Odds-on favorite not to make 6. I agree with 2N.
To paraphrase Bob Hamman: "Whatever card you need, I ain't got it!"

Winston
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11 User is offline   000002 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-July-01, 20:57

anyone noticed what is 4nt mean?
i advise this is NOT slam invitation,it is sacrifice.and 5 is slam try.

did u agree?

regards

#12 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2006-July-02, 01:54

Pass, wtp? I already don't like the 2NT bid since I'm not weak and not strong enough as well (5 losers)...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#13 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2006-July-02, 09:01

i'd bid 2nt here also and i'd probably pass.. i don't know what makes, but i'd feel sick if 5 makes and i caused us to be off ... i think you should have some way for partner to show slam interest opposite the strong variety, maybe 4nt... you bid 5c if weak, p/c, and 6c if strong, p/c
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#14 User is offline   Nickboss 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2006-July-04, 15:19

The opponents have put partner (us) to the guess... Partners guess is likely to be as good as any so pass

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users