Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Verona World championships

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-June-11, 13:42

Please feel free to post leader updates and any other interesting Verona information/hands/stories/gossip here.

#2 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-11, 14:37

You can find the results here.

Seems that lots of our regular posters are there.

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-13, 14:05

Here is a tiny snapshot of the tourney so far from Chip Martel:

"I'm currently in Verona. Just finished the mixed where Jan and I did great n the qualifying (5th of 480 pairs) but where then just average in the 3 session finals.
Team game started today. RR of 11 teams with top 4 going on to the round of 16 (about 180 teams entered).

We had a bye the first round (though they didn't tell us till we showed up to play), then won a blitz. Sitting out now (playing with Lew, Bjorn-Roy, bobby L. and Steve W.)

Place is pretty nice, playing site good (except for the women who have way too small a bathroom). Wll be here for almost 2 more weeks (home 26th).

Chip"

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2006-June-13, 14:14

mike777, on Jun 13 2006, 09:05 PM, said:

Place is pretty nice, playing site good (except for the women who have way too small a bathroom). Wll be here for almost 2 more weeks (home 26th).

It was ridiculous.
It was impossible to go for a bathroom break between rounds because there was ALWAYS a 5-6 person queue.

At one point when dummy I ran down 3 floors to find the other ladies' toilets in company with another lady I knew, who said she was so desperate to be dummy that she'd passed her partner's 1NT opening on a 8-count with 5 hearts just in case he broke the transfer and she had to play it....

they got a huge result on the board for playing in 1NT with their 10-card heart fit, I heard later.

But, it was nice meeting lots of people I only knew in writing.

#5 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2006-June-14, 03:10

Here's a funny one:

At the start of the 3rd qualification session one Polish player found his partner missing and the director was looking for a sub until she came. BBO regular Ecepal volunteered and although a bit shaking she went to play with the apparently friendly Polish man. The system discussion was like "Sayc, capp, std. carding" i.e. the BBO equivalent of "your profile partner".
Although she was of course quite nervous playing with a stranger in such a serious event (in fact it was 5 boards and then his partner finally showed up), afterwards she was glad she didn't know who her partner was, she said, she would have been shaking even more.

Her partner was... Krzysztof Martens! :D

Otherwise: The city was great, the playing area and all was fantastic (except apparently for the ladies' room - another complaint was the large distance from the playing area to a location where you can smoke between the rounds), just the on-site self-service restaurant is a total ripoff. And since you can't really walk to the city center you have to have a car to have a quick lunch in the center or just buy a sandwich.

Also met a lot of friends from BBO I had never met in person before and some friends I hadn't seen for a long time, and played against some which was very nice.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users