Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MOAN

#1 User is offline   lioncub 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-November-02, 04:33

Playing in an individual tournament my partner opened 2 clubs.
My hand was S KQxxx
H xx
D x
C Kxxxxx
As 99% of players play 2D as a waiting bid, this was my choice. I would not dream of giving a positive bid without an ace or a king.
Now back to my partner.
Wait for it!!!!!
PASS!!!

He did have a 2 club opener with balance 23 points and a 5-card diamond suit.

His comment was that I showed under 3 points.

LOL.

Has anyone ever seen a worse bid than his pass?

#2 User is offline   Erkson 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-November-02, 05:06

As 99% of players play 2D as a waiting bid, this was my choice.

Perhaps your partner was playing the (old) Canapé bidding system invented by Pierre Albarran (1893-1960), where as an answer to his Albarran 2C, 2D meant very weak hand. With your hand 2N was the answer in that system.

The 1% of players are players too.

Erkson

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2003-November-02, 10:20

There are soo many response structures over a standard 2C opening, that even I don't know what to bid in individual tournaments. But I'd also bid 2D, because if partner has lots of tricks in H, it goes 2C-2S-3H-4C... And when he's balanced, the right hand will play.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-November-02, 15:16

"His comment was that I showed under 3 points.

LOL.

Has anyone ever seen a worse bid than his pass?"

Plenty of times. This was a misunderstanding of a response to an artificial bid. As unusual as it is, your partner's interpretation of your bid has precedent, as noted by erkson. I ran into a pair at my club playing this last month.

The truly terrible bids are natural - with those there can be no excuse :)

Peter

#5 User is offline   suzzz 

• Pip

Posted 2003-November-04, 13:46

i am afraid that i passed my p's 2c bid in an indy tourney due to a misclic two days ago (my mouse suddenly went out of control).. i apologised profusely but my p flamed me, told me i had no buisiness playing bridge and left the tourney in the middle :'(
Sue

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-November-04, 13:50

i am afraid that i passed my p's 2c bid in an indy tourney due to a misclic two days ago (my mouse suddenly went out of control).. i apologised profusely but my p flamed me, told me i had no buisiness playing bridge and left the tourney in the middle :'(
Sue

Don't worry about suzz, other than of course, reporting your partner to a yellow and the tournment director. Misclicks happen. In a tourney last week, I had a very sound opening 1S bid, my partner made a splinter jump to 4D opposite no wasted diamonds in my hand. On the way to bidding 4NT blackwood, I somehow ended up passing (misclick). We were down somehting like 7, vulenerable in 3-1 diamond fit, missing our laydwon 6S. This was imps, so you can imagine the rest of the boards was just for fun, as this put us way too far behind.

Ben
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   zakryerson 

• Pip

Posted 2003-November-12, 09:30

This brings up three matters.

i. I am annoyed by people who play an automatic or nearly automatic response of Two Diamonds to Two Clubs describing Two Diamonds as waiting. For a good example of this see the hands in the "It's Your Bid" section of "Play Bridge" in the November 2003 ACBL Bulletin.

ii. Any one who opens Two Clubs and passes a Two Diamond response when playing with an unfamilira partner _isn't playing bridge_.

iii. On the given had I would bid Three Clubs as responder. I would bid two diamonds even if I had _six Diamonds_.

#8 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2003-November-12, 17:00

most play 2C as game forcing.. but mistakes do happen.. i was playing with a very good player not long ago.. she opened 1H, op overcalled 2C, passed to me.. i bid 4C and she passed.. her comment was something like "i wasn't sure what that meant"

that could happen to anyone, but rarely with someone of her caliber... only way i know to handle it is to go on and play.. don't keep 'score' of partner's mistakes and hope he doesn't keep score of yours

two opponents are all anyone needs
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#9 User is offline   badderzboy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-November-13, 14:56

I would like to agree with the last comments,

I tend to play even "live" with new & different partners at bridge classes and the like of differing abilities. I enjoy the competition and concentration you need to avoid misunderstandings and of course they do happen. You bid 4C as cue-bid and it's read as Gerber and so on.

Clearly playing with my regular partners we make less mistakes - but we still do!

My attitude is to smile and apologise over the mis-understanding and play the next hand. If I was playing for hard cash ( I don't - long way to go to be good enough!) I'd grimace inside and smile!

This game is an incredible challenge but you can only play one board at a time and it can be 7NT made one hand and 1NTX - 4 the next!

SO I guess my moral is - no need to MOAN! chin up ( I'm a brit) and where's the next hand....

Steve

#10 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-November-14, 05:26

IN Pickup games assuming 2C is 22+ - GAME force I think P should have bid 3D (if you hadn't discussed WHAT 2D was B)

Having said that I ALWAYS ask "2D waiting to 2C P" :-[

Playing in an individual tournament my partner opened 2 clubs.
My hand was S KQxxx
H xx
D x
C Kxxxxx
As 99% of players play 2D as a waiting bid, this was my choice. I would not dream of giving a positive bid without an ace or a king.
Now back to my partner.
Wait for it!!!!!
PASS!!!

He did have a 2 club opener with balance 23 points and a 5-card diamond suit.

His comment was that I showed under 3 points.

LOL.

Has anyone ever seen a worse bid than his pass?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users