• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bermuda Bowl Bid....NOT

#1 User is offline   Laird 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-November-09, 03:53

Hello All

Thought I would share a bidding sequence and Directors decision to get some feed-back:-)

At local club

Bidding

n( dealer)

w (me) e

s

Bidding

n pass

before east or south could bid I found myself saying 1d.....much to the chagrin of my partner and opps alike.... I too was rather shocked by the utterance. :)

North didnt accept the bid.
I was ordered to keep quiet during the rest of the auction, which went n pass , e pass, s 1nt, w pass, n pass. It was then decided that south could ask for a diamond to be led ......

Is that part of the Directors finding valid?

Who said watching the Bemuda Bowl must improve your bridge :D

John
UDCA...'You take the High Road an I'll take the Low Road'...

#2 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2003-November-09, 06:07

Hello All

Thought I would share a bidding sequence and Directors decision to get some feed-back:-)

At local club

Bidding

n( dealer)

w (me) e

s

Bidding

n pass

before east or south could bid I found myself saying 1d.....much to the chagrin of my partner and opps alike.... I too was rather shocked by the utterance. :)

North didnt accept the bid.
I was ordered to keep quiet during the rest of the auction, which went n pass , e pass, s 1nt, w pass, n pass. It was then decided that south could ask for a diamond to be led ......

Is that part of the Directors finding valid?

Who said watching the Bemuda Bowl must improve your bridge :D

John

That ruling is not correct John.

If you bid out of turn then your partner must pass through out the auction not you.

And further lead penalties only MAY apply. This would require you to not bid your diamonds later in the auction. And again the lead penalties would apply to your partner not to you.

Did the director consult the law book?

Wayne
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#3 User is offline   Laird 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-November-09, 13:08

Hi Wayne ..

thanks for responding and yes the rules were referred to and it seems to be quite a difficult rule to interpret?
The fact that it is openers' rt hand opp not the left hand opp who bid out of turn after opener had passed and before others had bid seems to have brought about complications not normally encountered ?
But being asked to lead a diamond did seem to be over the top?

John
UDCA...'You take the High Road an I'll take the Low Road'...

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2003-November-09, 19:13

Hi Wayne ..

thanks for responding and yes the rules were referred to and it seems to be quite a difficult rule to interpret?
The fact that it is openers' rt hand opp not the left hand opp who bid out of turn after opener had passed and before others had bid seems to have brought about complications not normally encountered ?
But being asked to lead a diamond did seem to be over the top?

John

LAW 31 - BID OUT OF ROTATION
When a player has bid out of rotation (and the bid is cancelled, as the option to accept the bid has not been exercised — see Law 29):
A.  RHO’s Turn Not applicable in your example
When the offender has bid (or has passed partner’s call when it is a convention, in which case section A2(:) applies) at his RHO’s turn to call, then:
1.  RHO Passes
If that opponent passes, offender must repeat the call out of rotation, and when that call is legal there is no penalty.
2.  RHO Acts
If that opponent makes a legal bid, double or redouble, offender may make any legal call; when this call
(a)  Repeats Denomination
 repeats the denomination of his bid out of rotation, (penalty) offender’s partner must pass when next it is his turn to call (see Law 23).
(:D  Does Not Repeat Denomination
 does not repeat the denomination of his bid out of rotation, the lead penalties of Law 26 may apply, and (penalty) offender’s partner must pass whenever it is his turn to call (see Law 23).
B.  Partner’s or LHO’s Turn This is the bit that applies
When the offender has bid at his partner’s turn to call, or at his LHO’s turn to call if the offender has not previously called, [b](penalty) offender’s partner must pass whenever it is his turn to call[/b] (see Law 23 when the pass damages the non-offending side), and the lead penalties of Law 26 may apply.

The lead penalties are:

LAW 26 - CALL WITHDRAWN, LEAD PENALTIES
When an offending player’s call is withdrawn, and he chooses a different final call for that turn,

Your director erroneously forced you to choose a different call

then if he becomes a defender:
A.  Call Related to Specific Suit
if the withdrawn call related to a specified suit or suits and
1.  Suit Specified
if that suit was specified by the same player, there is no lead penalty, but see Law 16C.

If you had freely not repeated your suit this would apply

2.  Suit Not Specified
if that suit was not specified in the legal auction by the same player, then declarer may (penalty) either require the offender’s partner to lead the specified suit (or one particular specified suit) at his first turn to lead, including the opening lead, or prohibit offender’s partner from leading the specified suit (or one particular specified suit) at his first turn to lead, including the opening lead, such prohibition to continue for as long as offender’s partner retains the lead.
B.  Other Withdrawn Calls
For other withdrawn calls, (penalty) declarer may prohibit offender’s partner from leading any one suit at his first turn to lead, including the opening lead, such prohibition to continue for as long as offender’s partner retains the lead.

Note all of the penalties (both in the bidding and the play) properly apply to offender's partner and not to offender.

Wayne Burrows
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users