BBO Discussion Forums: Learning new languages is fun! - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Learning new languages is fun!

#1 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-June-02, 00:48

I consult with Mitsubishi Nuclear Energy Systems, where half of the employees are Japanese. I teach two courses in an International Finance program at UCI where I have had students from China, France, Japan, Turkey, South Korea, Germany, Brazil, Italy, Viet Nam, Saudi Arabia, Guatamala, Russia, Morocco, El Salvadore, India, England, Tunisia, Spain, Armenia, and Taiwan. I teach review courses for the CFA exams in the U.S., Canada, and Europe, where I have had students from Latvia, France, Switzerland, Kuwait, Netherlands, Spain, Russia, Italy, Poland, Germany, and Bulgaria.

I find learning new languages to be immensely enjoyable (though I freely admit that I'm not remotely fluent in anything other than English), and I find talking in English to non-native English speakers to be equally enjoyable.

A perfect example of the latter occurred Wednesday when one of my Brazilian students was trying to think of the word "rooster" and it escaped her; she asked what we call the husband of a chicken.

Priceless!

(I'm sure that my feeble attempts at French and German are at least as amusing to native speakers of those languages.)

BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-03, 14:57

you probably know what the wife of a chicken is in spannish.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users