• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EHAA - Every hand an adventure

#1 User is offline   Laird 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-April-14, 03:11

Hello everyone

Anybody have any experience of playing with or against EHAA system users?
I understand that it is an aggressive natural style of bidding system which might be more appealing to Acol, SAYC, 2/1 users than the more scientific system.
Anybody know its basic structure?

Best wishes

John
UDCA...'You take the High Road an I'll take the Low Road'...

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-April-14, 03:47

EHAA (stand for every hand and adventure) is a well named system  :o :( it is built upon a very weak NT opening bid (approaching kamikaze level) of 10-12 points, four-card Majors, and all twos are weak twos.

I think it is fun to try every now and then, and if your playing skill is less than say others in the field, it might be a good weapon to pull out at matchpoints in hope of creating lots of action at your table (let the flames begin)...  :D

If you are interested in EHAA you may want to get this book from what use to be called Baron Bridge supplies...
    "Every Hand An Adventure (EHAA)" by Eric Landau and Randall Baron.  see
http://www.baronbarc...books/EHAA.html

I went to the universiity of florida at the same time Randy did.

There is a short FAQ on line about EHAA at
http://www-zeus.desy.de/~uijter/Desy_bridg...dding/ehaa.html

Ben
--Ben--

#3 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-April-14, 03:48

Hello everyone

Anybody have any experience of playing with or against EHAA system users?
I understand that it is an aggressive natural style of bidding system which might be more appealing to Acol, SAYC, 2/1 users than the more scientific system.
Anybody know its basic structure?

Best wishes

John

EHAA is an extemely simple system based on four principles:

1.  Sound opening bids.  1 level opening bids typically promise 13+ HCP.

2. Extremely undisciplined weak 2 bids.
2C/2D/2H/2S all show 5+ cards in the bid suit and 8 - 12 HCP.

3. Mini-NT opening, showing balanced hands with 10-12 HCP.

4. Four card majors.

Personnaly, I'm not fond of the system.  I think that the undisciplined 2 bids lead to a significant net loss.  They are common enough that this cripples the rest of the system.

With this said and done, the system is fun to play.
It also creates enough variance that it enables upsets.
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-April-14, 08:22

Undertaking risk of getting slapped down hard for adding a branch to a thread  :o

Hrothgar writes "I think that the undisciplined 2 bids lead to a significant net loss. "
In your notes and postings on Moscito, you are quite clear that you regard those undisciplined openings as good.  Is the difference that the Moscito weak twos have a more limited strength range (because of the very light opening 1 bids), and thus convey more information to your partner, whereas a traditional undiscliplined 2 bid has much less definition?

#5 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-April-14, 11:07

Undertaking risk of getting slapped down hard for adding a branch to a thread  :o

Hrothgar writes "I think that the undisciplined 2 bids lead to a significant net loss. "
In your notes and postings on Moscito, you are quite clear that you regard those undisciplined openings as good.  Is the difference that the Moscito weak twos have a more limited strength range (because of the very light opening 1 bids), and thus convey more information to your partner, whereas a traditional undiscliplined 2 bid has much less definition?

There are actually two sections on preempts in my notes.  Official MOSCITO uses a multi 2D fo sound 2 level preempts.  2H/2S shows very undisciplined preempts (very similar to Acol).   I included this in the system write up because this is the "official" version of the system.

However, all of my serious partnerships use the "Frellig" 2 bid opening structure.  Frelling 2s are a very disciplined preemptive opening structure.  I find thatI get much better results with this than I do with the undisciplined weak 2s/
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   Laird 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-April-14, 19:48

Thank you all for responding re EHAA

pbleighton said "....adding branch to thread".

I have no problems with that  :o
Ideas are generated this way cross fertilisation......
Now I wonder ...Acol with aspects of EHAA and what was that other thing... Frellig2's.... hmmm :(.

best wishes

John
UDCA...'You take the High Road an I'll take the Low Road'...

#7 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-April-14, 21:30

I don't think the adjective "disciplined" should be applied to an aspect of the system.  "Disciplined" describes the players who use (or misuse!) a system.

If I play 3 level pre-empts according to the rule of 2 and 3, and then open 3D on xx xxx Jxxxxx xx, I am being undisciplined.  If our 3 level pre-empts systemically include hands like that then I am being discilpined.

Could we say that EHAA pre-empts are "wide-ranging", Moscito pre-empts are "light", and traditional pre-empts are "sound"?

Back on topic, I have played EHAA a few times with one partner online.  I found our results were a little bit lower than my normal results.  So I suspect that it is a slightly suspect system.

It is fun to play though, and you certainly get some very good scores with it

Eric

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users