• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claim

#1 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-October-16, 12:06

Hi,

I remember reading about claiming in bridge a while ago, but can't find the thread now, anyone know where it is?

I still don't understand why declarer can't continue playing if he can in fact claim. What if opponents may discard wrongly and he can get anothe trick?

Rain
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-October-16, 12:49

Hi,

I remember reading about claiming in bridge a while ago, but can't find the thread now, anyone know where it is?

I still don't understand why declarer can't continue playing if he can in fact claim. What if opponents may discard wrongly and he can get anothe trick?

Rain

A post you might be thinking of is..
http://forums.bridgebase.com/in...ay;threadid=821, which has a lot on claims.

When you have all the remaing tricks (hence, opponents error is not an issue), PLEASE claim when playing against me. Likewise, if you can't possible when any more tricks, please claim zero.

However, if you believe it is possible, but perhaps not likely, my defense might give you a trick, then just keep playing... especially at matchpoints.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2003-October-16, 12:58

In f2f bridge, any claim finish the play of the hand, which get adjudicated (see Laws 69 and 70 in The Laws of Duplicate Contract Bridge

Basically, a claim assumes perfect defense, so any doubts are resolved against the claimimg side (see footnotes though, about the difference between careless/inferior and irrational, which is subjective as depends on the claimer level of play and, to some extent, director's view of it.

#4 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-October-16, 13:05

In f2f bridge, any claim finish the play of the hand, which get adjudicated (see Laws 69 and 70 in The Laws of Duplicate Contract Bridge

Basically, a claim assumes perfect defense, so any doubts are resolved against the claimimg side (see footnotes though, about the difference between careless/inferior and irrational, which is subjective as depends on the claimer level of play and, to some extent, director's view of it.

Amen,
Why is it so hard in f2f bridge to make players understand that once a player claims the hand is o-v-e-r and cards cannot be played anymore?
Frequently defenders say "play it" just to see if declarer makes some egregious mistake and goes down (ex pulling out the wrong card).
The legend of the black octogon.

#5 User is offline   bhugi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-October-27, 03:15

In real world competition a claim is reinforced by saying the line of play.
We can have this in internet as well. The one who claim should type out the line of play (if need) before the claim button is pushed. If he did not do so and doubts arise, then director rule in favour of the other side. Cards will not play again by any players, but director try to play and rule the hands.

e.g. In a suit contract, there is still an outside trump left, the last card played by declarer is not the action of drawing trump but just playing the side suits, the worst against his claim might be: a side suit is trump by defenders and defenders run a side suit where the declarer has no stopper. In this way, a claim of all tricks become getting none tricks. This is to protect the opponents of the side who claimed. There are chance that the declarer really forgets about drawing the last trump but he claims and opponents reject, then declarer realises that there is an outside trump, and declarer draws it now to get all tricks.

Of course, which approach to use probably is changing according to the stardard of the players. In a world class match, we can just claim "double squeeze" and get all tricks only if it works, and get 1 fewer trick if it fails.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users