#1 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-January-27, 08:33

Scoring: XIMP

1 - 1
2NT - ?

2NT shows 18-19 balanced. 1 was 4+ as playing 4 card majors. 3 would be checkback. That is all you have agreed.

What is your bidding plan?
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#2 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2006-January-27, 08:34

I want to try for 6. I bid 4.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2006-January-27, 08:40

Unfortunately, all you have agreed leaves out one nice tool. If 3C is checkback, I personally like to use 3D as a slam try for Opener's minor. This would have been nice for this hand.

Barring this, 3H. Without the agreement, 3H "should" be a cuebid in support of clubs, implicitly denying a diamond control. 3H as natural lacks utility when 3C is checkback.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-January-27, 08:45

kenrexford, on Jan 27 2006, 02:40 PM, said:

Unfortunately, all you have agreed leaves out one nice tool. If 3C is checkback, I personally like to use 3D as a slam try for Opener's minor. This would have been nice for this hand.

Barring this, 3H. Without the agreement, 3H "should" be a cuebid in support of clubs, implicitly denying a diamond control. 3H as natural lacks utility when 3C is checkback.

I agree it would be nice to have agreements, but this is a partnership which plays together once a month.

I'm not sure why using checkback and bidding a natural 3 should be incompatible. What should responder do with 5-5 in the majors?

#5 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-January-27, 09:38

Echognome, on Jan 27 2006, 09:45 AM, said:

I'm not sure why using checkback and bidding a natural 3 should be incompatible. What should responder do with 5-5 in the majors?

Over a 1NT rebid I like the Bergen approach where 2H shows a 7-9 hcp 5-5 in the majors. After a 2NT rebid, I'm not sure what the hcp range for the 5-5 should be but if it is still 7-9 then it allows opener to find the right game (3NT or 4 of the 8 card fit major).
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#6 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-January-27, 09:40

3 checkback then.
The legend of the black octogon.

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2006-January-27, 09:46

luis, on Jan 27 2006, 05:40 PM, said:

3 checkback then.

What else? Trying for a clubs slam makes sense, but it can't hurt to know whether we have a double fit.

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2006-January-27, 10:05

The reason why checkback is incompatible with 3H as natural is redundancy in a tight auction. With 5-5, you "should" be allowed to bid 3C, hear 3D, and THEN bid 3H. This negates the necessity of 3H as natural. Hence, a cuebid.

If redundancies exist, bid 3NT. With so many HCP's, 3NT wins at IMP's and MP, usually, and averts the risk of a set through club ruffs. You have insufficient values and tools to seek a difficult club slam. For that matter, partner "should" open 2NT with the "right" 19-count, so slam is far off.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2006-January-27, 10:33

Hate the methods: but I have been asked to fill in.

So 3 checkback it is. I hope I am not playing with a partner who opens 1 with 4=4 in minors, because (if not) I can interpret a 3 rebid as showing 5+ (no 3 card suit and no 4 card suit), and that would get me to move srongly towards 6.

If he bids 3, I bid 4, which I assume has to be setting trump and forcing, but not committing to slam. On that auction, I will pass should he bid 4N at some point.

If he bids 3, I suspect that my methods leave me with no good bid. Probably stuck with 4 as a cuebid, altho that begs the question of how I am supposed to set as trump if I only hold 4.

Hate the methods
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2006-January-27, 10:49

mikeh, on Jan 27 2006, 06:33 PM, said:

Hate the methods: but I have been asked to fill in.

(...)

Hate the methods

Uh oh. What is Mike gonna say when he reads echo's thread over in the B/I forum...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#11 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-January-27, 11:15

LOL arend. Unfortunately, these were actually our methods. I agree they could be better, but not sure it's worth agreeing too much in such a casual partnership. Have been playing in this monthly competition for 5 sessions and it was the first time it came up and it was a hypothetical as partner actually rebid 1NT showing 15-17 as he miscounted his points. B)

This went:

1 - 1
1NT(15-17) - 2 (ART GF)
2NT - 3
3 - 3NT
All Pass

I didn't feel I was worth more than one slam try opposite a 15-17 bal hand. I then realised it wouldn't have been much easier if partner had rebid 2NT.

And to make Mike feel even better, partner's shape was 2=3=4=4. 6NT was on a (making) finesse. 6 had no play as clubs were Kxxx opposite ATxx.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users