BBO Discussion Forums: Play it for Rumen - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play it for Rumen

#1 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2003-October-21, 06:05

Hi all!
This hand is from latest championship, where Rumen&Kalin team was 4th.

J1098
AQ1065
Q72

-
J7652
AKJ1086

love all, W dealer

W N E S
1DI 1HE 1SP 2CL
2SP 3CL 3DI 5CL
all pass

Lead: 5SP

Good luck all :(
Misho
MishoVnBg

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-October-21, 08:44

Hi all!
This hand is from latest championship, where Rumen&Kalin team was 4th.

J1098
AQ1065
Q72

-
J7652
AKJ1086

love all, W dealer

W N E S
1DI 1HE 1SP 2CL
2SP 3CL 3DI 5CL
all pass

Lead: 5SP

It would help to know what 1NT range they play and what they open with 3-3 in the minors when not strong enough (or too strong) for 1NT. Also, I guess it would be nice to know if 2S promised 4 card support or if they would have used support double here.

But ok, West doesn't have AK or KQ of diamonds, nor AK or KQ of spades, and in fact, I doubt has AQ of spades. This give EAST two spade honors and a diamond honor, so heart hook will win.

What about distributions? West is 4-4-3-2, 4-3-4-2 or very unlikley 4-3-3-3 (but still possible would be nice to now how they open a hand with three small clubs and AQx of diamonds), or even 4-2-4-3 but not sure you cna make with this distibution if WEST's hearts are not the KJ doubleton.

Here is the line I would play, catering to 3-1 club split, where I may need extra entries to set up long heart. So I want to combine three possible lines... ruffing two diamonds in dummy and setting up a spade, with ruffing one diamond in dummy and setting up long hearts. To handle two spade leads from dummy and a heart I have to play for two trump entries in the likelyhood they can play two rounds of trumps.

So, ok. Trick one, spade jack and ruff EAST first honor with the CLUB 8 (I may need to hook west for club 9x on second round of clubs for an entry to help set up hearts if I decide hearts are 3-3). Heart hook, heart ACE, then duck a diamond. Back comes a club, If it is the nine, great, win club QUEEN, and lead spade T. If west can lead another club, play for 3-3 hearts winning 4H, 1S, 2S ruff, 1S ruff, and 3C.

Ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-October-21, 08:51

Ruff the spade and play a diamond.
I think I will play to ruff two diamonds in dummy losing two diamonds since the heart finesse should be working.
Maybe this line is too simple :-)
The legend of the black octogon.

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2003-October-21, 12:27

I think transportation could be a problem with ruff and lead a diamond, but if you do play this line at least ruff with the club 8 and save the six.

The lines I considered were ruff with 8 and lead a diamond. Ruff with 8, heart hook, spade Ten, and ruff with 8, heart hook, heart, then spade Ten, and ruff 8, heart hook, diamond.

Not much difference in any of them, if you ruff with the club 8. I think this unblock could be critical on some lines of play, and don't believe it can ever hurt.

ben
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2003-October-22, 01:07

But ok, West doesn't have AK or KQ of diamonds, nor AK or KQ of spades, and in fact, I doubt has AQ of spades. This give EAST two spade honors and a diamond honor, so heart hook will win.

What about distributions? West is 4-4-3-2, 4-3-4-2 or very unlikley 4-3-3-3 (but still possible would be nice to now how they open a hand with three small clubs and AQx of diamonds), or even 4-2-4-3 but not sure you cna make with this distibution if WEST's hearts are not the KJ doubleton.

Here is the line I would play, catering to 3-1 club split, where I may need extra entries to set up long heart. So I want to combine three possible lines... ruffing two diamonds in dummy and setting up a spade, with ruffing one diamond in dummy and setting up long hearts. To handle two spade leads from dummy and a heart I have to play for two trump entries in the likelyhood they can play two rounds of trumps.

So, ok. Trick one, spade jack and ruff EAST first honor with the CLUB 8 (I may need to hook west for club 9x on second round of clubs for an entry to help set up hearts if I decide hearts are 3-3). Heart hook, heart ACE, then duck a diamond. Back comes a club, If it is the nine, great, win club QUEEN, and lead spade T. If west can lead another club, play for 3-3 hearts winning 4H, 1S, 2S ruff, 1S ruff, and 3C.

Ben

Great analysis Ben! You are second who made it, with Boian. Cant make it by ruffing DI, because 3-1 in CL, how I tried...Play for ruffing finesse of SP is best way to make it. Here are two other hands:

K765 AQ432
KJ87 32
AQ98 K104
9 543

Misho
MishoVnBg

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2003-October-22, 17:56

Great analysis Ben! You are second who made it, with Boian. Cant make it by ruffing DI, because 3-1 in CL, how I tried...Play for ruffing finesse of SP is best way to make it. Here are two other hands:

Thanks, but I am sure Boian probably did it better than I in one sense, I would have run into time trouble here I think. There is no way I could have worked out my line in a 6 or 7 minutes (oh ruff with club 8 is automatic, and placing honors is fairly easy, but deciding if going to try to set up a spade as well as how to play for diamond ruffs took time. This is why timed events can be problematic. I am generally a fast player, but this one took like 10 minutes (and longer to try to explain). So in an event with 10 minutes per board, 2 boards per round, I would have killed the chance for completing the second board.
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users