Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gerber

#1 User is offline   StrongCL 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-July-02, 15:55

I opened with a weak 2S bid. My partner then bid 4 clubs and expected me to know that it was Gerber and that she was asking for Aces. I was confused. Should we not find a fit and should there not have been a NT bid prior to using Gerber?

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-July-02, 16:29

It's not supposed to be Gerber here. It's *possible* partner wanted to play "4c = roman key card ask over preempts" https://bvillebridge...after-preempts/ . This is not a terrible convention, because 4c as natural or a splinter isn't that useful after a preempt in another suit. So being able to ask and stay low has some benefit (fewer 5 level -1 accidents because of a ruff).

But this is also an advanced convention and someone who knew about this should also know it is not something one springs upon a partner undiscussed. More likely partner is one of the large cohort of beginner/intermediate-ish players who got the idea that "All 4c bids should be Gerber", which is a bad idea and should be strongly discouraged.

Gerber normally applies only after natural 1nt/2nt bids or rebids, you are correct.

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-July-03, 03:11

View PostStrongCL, on 2023-July-02, 15:55, said:

I opened with a weak 2S bid. My partner then bid 4 clubs and expected me to know that it was Gerber and that she was asking for Aces. I was confused. Should we not find a fit and should there not have been a NT bid prior to using Gerber?

There are a large number of club players in my area who would think this is normal and would assume 4 is Gerber most of the time. They are mainly intermediate players who have played the same methods at the club for some considerable time.

I doubt that any regular tournament player would think the same, especially undiscussed.

Having said that, I expect a lot of experts play 4 as some form of key card.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-July-03, 10:27

Agree with Paul. It's much more likely you've hit a "4 is Gerber When Obvious" player. They also tend to be "4 is how I look for slam" players.

If it's pickup, go with "I'm sorry, I didn't recognize it, I only play Gerber over NT" and continue for a few hands (and cross them off your list of People you want to Partner Again). If it's a semi-regular, take this is a reminder that your next system discussion is "preempts and responses". And discuss what preempts look like, what 2NT is after, confirm that new suits by responder are Forcing, ... so that it won't happen again. And if semi-regular partner insists on "Gerber When Obvious" - well, it's not the worst agreement. Hopefully the rest of the system is more to your liking.

But I bet this is just The Permanent Pickup Pool default. And possibly one of the reasons this partner is still in the Permanent Pickup Pool.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2023-July-03, 12:48

View Postpaulg, on 2023-July-03, 03:11, said:

There are a large number of club players in my area who would think this is normal and would assume 4 is Gerber most of the time. They are mainly intermediate players who have played the same methods at the club for some considerable time.

I should say that this group all enjoy their game and are happy with their methods.

But they play an eclectic group of conventions that are probably unique. I suspect that this is the case in many UK clubs, as there have never been a formally defined British system. so conventions are picked up ad hoc over the decades perhaps due to someone seeing a bridge article.

So 4 as Gerber is played by most, the only form of checkback is Crowhurst (since they dislike opening a weak no trump with a five-card major), Blackwood is prolific but some play KCB or RKCB or Norman, Michaels is not commonplace.

They are a generation who did not play on BBO before coronavirus and few play at random tables. Hopefully those that do play more standard methods :)

But I am seeing more five-card majors, strong no trumps and the occasional short club, so the world is changing.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-July-04, 02:16

In the UK I would assume a keycard ask if partner plays RKC, Gerber otherwise.
Also the style of Weak 2 versus vulnerability is something to factor in so perhaps 2NT is a better initial response to judge strength.

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-July-04, 15:43

I would just pass and smile, we will not play together again.

#8 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-July-04, 19:54

As it is an unnecessary jump, I think a sensible interpretation is as a splinter. I find it unreasonable to expect a random pick-up partner to take this as Gerber without agreement. The simplest way of continuing is to bid 4 without looking at your hand, then discuss some system stuff after the hand. A good starter for a pick-up partner is "4 is never Gerber". With a regular partner, playing 4 as modified RKCG over a 3, 3 or 3 opening is actually a good idea but only worth it after you have finalised more or less everything else.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users