Posted 2003-September-30, 11:46
I think flytoox answers are probably what might be called mainstream guidelines. But, having said that, the system I play in established partnerships is quite different from his replies. Below is my favorite way to play this. Hopefully, with his and mine anwers, we can get a discussion of the advantages/disadvantages, as well as other ideas. Like RDBL to show transfer to next higher suit, etc. Here is what I play.
Is 1x-DBL-1y forcing? My answer is yes
is 1x-DBL-2y (non jump) forcing? My answer is yes. 2y without a jump is forcing and IS A TRANSFER TO THE NEXT HIGHER SUIT. Thus, 1H-x-2D is a heart raise (a good heart raise or better, with 1H-x-2H promising nothing more than 13 cards, some of which are hearts). Two exta caveats on this auction. The 2y bid DENIES x support (unless it is the suit just below x) OR... if I show support later, then the 2y bid was a lead director. I use this also on 1D-x-2C shows a good diamond raise. As a note, I play 1x-DBL-1NT no matter what suit 1x was as a transfer to 2C.
What do you play 1x-DBL-jump shift as? I play it as a fit jump, showing the bid suit, and support for partners suit. I play 1x-DBL-double jump shift as the same kind of hand, just more values.
1M-DBL-2NT = I play jordanesque, that is, as limit raise or BETTER. I add the caveat or better to take all the pressure of redouble, so that my REDOUBLE implies no fit (an exception would be that I could have 3 small card support with a monster balanced hand. Over 1m-DBL, a redouble can have as many as four card support.
The last two auctions, I agree with flytoox answers, after the rdbl, the second double is penalty. After the initial pass, then double, this should show 10+ points, balanced hand, and optional double.
With the transfer bid, especially over the minor-DBL, I have separated the meaning of the a variety of raises. Here is my favorite structure...
1D-DBL
2C = fair Diamond raise or better (unlimited), no rebid promised
2D = generally 4 card support about all i can do
3D = 5 to 8 hcp, five card plus support
2NT = really weak, preemptive diamond raise
1C-DBL
1NT = fair club raise or better (unlimited) doesn't promise rebid
2C = gnereally 4 card support, about all I can do
3C = 5 to 8 hcp, 5+ support
2NT = really weak, preemptive club raise.
I am much more likely to pull out the redouble with a "fit" after 1m than after 1M. 2NT is not needed with limit raise, just plan to bid again after the transfer.
--Ben--