Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A couple of questions

#1 User is offline   dugite 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-October-01, 09:29

I dont want to appear dense but I am having problems finding out about clubs.I see posts about this club and that club but where are they?How do you join?What function do they fullfil?

While I am asking.....why the fuss about self assessed skill levels.I have mine as private because I can't rate myself objectively.Some days I am better than others.At some clubs in my city people are wary when I join their table but at others I don't even rate a disdainful look.In BBO I have played with and against "experts" that seem to have trouble even sorting their hands........in fact most intermediates I have come across are better players than the ones who call themselves experts.Vanity seems to get in the way of honest assesment.

It is much the same as rating players by how many masterpoints they have.I am (in the ABF[Aussie Bridge Fed])a State master with a star....big deal.I know Life Masters who are not as good as me and then I also know Local Masters who are better.It is a function of how many times a week you play and where you play that get promotions.In my state we get less than half the M.P. for winning a club event than they do in Sydney.I play once a week and a couple of tournies a year, so does that make me a worse player than someone who plays 10 times a week in a low standard club who gets lots of MP?

I like playing against good players but will settle for nice players which is why I play in BBO..if I can't find good players there are always lots of nice ones.

Excuse my rambling but I have wanted to say that for a while ;D 8) ;D

The Snake

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-October-01, 09:58

.I see posts about this club and that club but where are they?How do you join?What function do they fullfil?

To find the clubs... click on the main bridge club button (to get to the room where you normally join tables). There are two large buttons.. one for Public clubs, and another for private clubs.

Public clubs are clubs anyone can join, simply by clicking on the club name in the public club area.. .no membership required.

A "private" club is one only members of the club can enter. Private clubs are useful for Bridge Club owners who want to put their clubs on the net. In addition, some people offer private lessons to people who join their private club, often for a fee. Others have private for a specific mission. The beginner/Intermedate lounge is an example of this, sort of a hybrid club open to all (some exceptions) of skill levels intermediate or lower.

To join a private club, simply click on the club name. If you are not a member, it will ask you if you want to apply for membership. Simply click yes. The next time the club manager logs in, he or she will get a request to allow you to join. If they have a specific requirement for membership, they will likely get back to you on what that is.

why the fuss about self assessed skill levels.I have mine as private because I can't rate myself objectively.

The rating thing is an "honor" system kind of thing, but it is hardly as bad as where objectivity comes into play. The guidelines says for rating above intermediate that...

Advanced = if you are consistently successful in clubs or minor tournaments

Expert = if you have enjoyed success in major national tournaments

World Class = if you have represented you country in World Championships

And intermediate if you can hold your own with average player in the BBO. Certainly you know if you have won at the national or international level, if not, put yourself as advanced or less. Now an expert in on country may not be an expert in another, and many, many people rate themselves as expert who, as you say, have no clue about the game. Learn to live with it. Some players, however, refuse to play with "privates" (those who list no skill). Sounds like you might fall into the advanced or intermediate level, you decide.

I like playing against good players but will settle for nice players which is why I play in BBO..if

Welcome to the BBO. This is exactly the attitude that needs to be fostered. Fun bridge, challenging bridge whenever possible, but nice is important. BBO nicest place on the web. :-)
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-October-01, 11:58

Ben writes:

"Welcome to the BBO. This is exactly the attitude that needs to be fostered. Fun bridge, challenging bridge whenever possible, but nice is important. BBO nicest place on the web. :-)"

I will second that. On the matter of this Forum, for example, there are occasional unfortunately worded posts, but it is usually quite civilized.

I have just started participating in rec.games.bridge. Lots of interesting threads, but way too much nastiness.

Peter

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users