• You cannot reply to this topic

Mission impossible

#21 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2003-October-01, 01:09

Hi Rajeshwar,

thanks for your advice. But I saw the north player in action and know that she is at least three classes better then me. So, if my comments did sound like you understood them, my deepest apologisze to Luis and Ana. I surely did not want to critisze her.

Kind Regards

Roland

P.S. About the hand: At the table, where they bid the slam, the declarer did not know about the 15-17 NT to his left.
So, after a trump lead, a double squeeze is the only chance and I am sure, that South would have excecute it. But as dummies and declarers hands are, the chances are reduced to:
4 +hearts left and 4+ diamonds on the right.

Or did I miss something again?
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#22 User is offline   rtewari 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-October-01, 05:17

Hi Roland,

Was the table you were watching the same as whose bidding sequence Luis has posted somewhere in this thread? In that sequence, the West (1NT 15-17 hand) has taken 2 bids - X of 2D (probably meant as a T/O of clubs or balanced 15+ as some play against multi kind of bids) and also a X of the final contract. One is likely to place LHO with this kind of hand only (once a doubleton club is also known)

This hand has multiple possibilities.
1. LHO has heart stopper AKQ(+) and RHO has diamond stopper Txxxx(+)
2. LHO has heart stopper AKQ(+) or any five hearts and RHO has spade stopper 4+ cards
3. LHO has any five hearts in which case diamond stopper will automatically be with RHO
4. LHO has AKQ of heart in which case hearts get setup
5. LHO has KQT of diamonds in which case diamonds get setup.
6. LHO has 2-2-6-3 or 2-3-5-3 shape in which case RHO comes under heart-spade squeeze. This is likely only if the first X was meant to be a strong balanced hand.
7. LHO has 5-3-3-2 (5 spades) any hand in which case RHO comes under an entry shifting squeeze.

Of course, one will need to guess a bit on what line to play. The best would be to play for H stopper on left and D stop on right. Concede a heart and on trump return play a spade to king. If you get a strong feel that RHO has 4 spades then you can change tack and play for diamond as the pivot suit instead of spade as the pivot. And there is the additional chance that the heart T or diamond 9 has gets setup on the way. In the simulation, this was succeeding about 65% of the times.

Regards
RT

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users