3D ?

And as always, why?
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-September-18, 14:31

Pass
First of all my hand is bad for suit contract, I have KQ of diammonds in front of a likely singleton, 3 small clubs, and no help in spades. So I can cover about 1 and half of pd losers, if he bid just 2s I have no reason to bid more provided he bid 2s and didn't double 2d.
Then we don't have enough power to bid 3nt, pd couldn't double 2d even being short in diamonds, after a low diamond lead 3nt goes heavily down whenever RHO wins a trick and switches to diamonds if 3nt is doubled I can go for a number without any rescue and pd will feel punished for bidding 2 spades.
Then they have a 8 1/2 fit in diamonds and we have a 7 1/2 fit in spades or hearts probably a 16 total tricks board where it's clear not to compete.
Another important issue is that I'm a passed hand so pd may bid 2s just to compete not expecting a passed hand from cuebidding, jumping to 3nt or bidding a new suit at the 3 level.
The legend of the black octogon.

#3 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-September-18, 15:15

I agree with luis--pass is best. Pass also has another way to win: if partner is 5-3 in the majors and has some extras, he will double for takeout and defending 3DX may well outscore whatever we can make.

#4 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2003-September-18, 15:30

Luis is right, you have many reasons to downgrade the hand.
It does not look like we can make anything if pd is not able to act again.
I am not as sure as Luis about the "weakness" of pds hand. In my opinion, he can well have enough for game but downgrads his hand to a simple overcall just because I am a passed part.
Anyway, if we missed something, we should win the match on another hand. Here are too many lowlights for any agressive bid. Besides, if I am forced to bid, I would bid 3 Heart. Pd should know, that this promisses small spade support.

Kind Regards

Roland
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-September-18, 16:11

I'm torn

Partner made a 2 level vulnerable overcall.
He should have something for this. If he doesn't have sufficient strength, then he should have compensating shape.

I have good defense, they're at the three level, and they're red.
While I don't strenuously object to pass, I think that I favor a penalty oriented double.
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-September-18, 16:12

Pass is clearly out of the question.

Another important issue is that I'm a passed hand so pd may bid 2s just to compete not expecting a passed hand from cuebidding, jumping to 3nt or bidding a new suit at the 3 level.

The above is just wrong imho. Partner has made a Vul 2 level bid and can have a very good hand for this bidding. My partners don't just make a noise for the sake of it at this vulnerability, MPs or not.
Partner could very easily have
AKJxxx
Kxx
x
Axx
and please don't say this is a x rather than a 2S bid.

So what to do? I would x here, but I think the real problem might come on the next round. I don't mind Roland's 3H bid either.

With the hand I have suggested, partner will indeed X on the next round, but what will you do now and will partner ever believe you have values?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-September-18, 16:21

I considered 3H, however, the hand doesn't seem to match my expectation.

From my perspective, a "perfect" 3H bid in this situation would be something like the following

Qxx
KQ843
xx
xxx

I think that using 3H to show both this hand, as well as

S- 9 6
H- A J 9 7 6
D- K Q 3
C- T 9 6

severely overloads the bid.
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   rtewari 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-September-18, 22:37

I think playing matchpoints, I cannot settle for +100 against a possible +140 , +620 etc. I would tend to make a responsive dbl suggesting hearts and tolerance for spades and values. I am a passed hand and partner with normal shape hands may choose tp play for +200. Expecting partner to reopen everytime shortness is putting too much pressure on partner since 3rd hand preempts can come with stronger hands as well (upto 12-13 HCP). Playing imps, it is close between pass and dbl.
RT

#9 User is offline   Codo 

Posted 2003-September-19, 01:00

Hi Richard,

From my perspective, a "perfect" 3H bid in this situation would be something like the following

Qxx
KQ843
xx
xxx

S- 9 6
H- A J 9 7 6
D- K Q 3
C- T 9 6

I agree with the last sentence. But why do you think is it necessary to bid the first hand with 3 hearts?
You could bid 3 Spade to show your support.

3 Heart could have different meanings:

1. fit nonjump
2. own suit, spade tolerance
3. own suit, no spades
4. spade fit, control, slaminteresst

Okay, Nr. 3 and 4. are silly here, as you have a passed hand.
So it depends on your judgement, if it is neccessary to show a second suit with a real fit or with just tolerance for pds suit.
AS you have a sufficent bid in the first case (3 Spade), I think, that the second case is the one, which you should care about.

Kind Regards

Roland

P.S.: I did not see that I was playing MPS. In this case, I would surely bid, because the difference between +100 and +140 could be really big.
A double in this situation is optional, but very strongly suggests a penalty. This is surely a great possibility, but I still prefer slightly to bid my major. :)
Kind Regards

Roland

#10 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-September-19, 10:16

Even at matchpoints I'm not wanting to try for +140 and risk -200.
The LAW tell us to pass, minor honors in diammonds, no double fit, etc lot of negative adjustments in a 16 1/2 tricks deal.
I'm not wanting to punish pd for bidding 2s making them bid 3d, if they win 3d nothing happened and if they don't pd effort was worth a lot of MPs.
As Ron said there're some hands where we can win even game but this is MPs and I'm not eager to try for a thin vulnerable game even if it makes.
The 2d opening vulnerable with RHO being a passed hand can be tricky at this vulnerability maybe they can win 3nt and didn't bid it once he opened 2d with 10-11 HCP.....
I'm fully aware pass can be a bad decision but it will be just one board.....
The legend of the black octogon.

#11 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-September-19, 13:26

I will bid 3H. Pd wont have much. Otherwise he will jump overcall 3s or dbl. Pd either has H spt or a two black suiter hand. He knows I am a passed hand so if he does not have a really good hand he shouldnt raise to four.

I dont think dbl is a good idea.

#12 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2003-September-19, 15:43

Qxx
KQ843
xx
xxx

S- 9 6
H- A J 9 7 6
D- K Q 3
C- T 9 6

We are at the three-level everything is overloaded :-)

Wayne
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#13 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-September-19, 16:43

This hand was played in a 146 table matchpoint tournment on the BBO. At the table I was kibitizing, the player with this hand bid 3NT, which had absolutely no play. The full hands were...

KQJxx
KTx
x
AJxx
xxx ATx
x Q8xx
AJTxxx xxx
Kxx Qxx
xx
AJ9xx
KQx
T9x

3NT had no play, just as Luis said when he rejected that bid. Richard suggested a penalty-oriented dbl of 3D, but for me, that would be takeout (responsive), not penalty).

It seems to me that PASS will get you to 4H's, because after you pass, partner will reopen with double and you will surely bid 4H. Also, 3H freebid sill get you to 4H's. I'm happy to see that noone here tried 3NT, that the well known gold star I was kibitizing bid.

As for me, what will I bid? 3H is not an option for me here, as that shows hearts AND Spades by a passed hand. So I am with Luis and Roland, and pass.

Ben

PS.. Hurricane ISABEL is now gone from the DC area... I lost power for 23 hours, 51 minutes, water for somewhere around 9 hours. We are now on a "boil water" alert until furhter notice.
--Ben--

#14 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2003-September-19, 19:50

This hand was played in a 146 table matchpoint tournment on the BBO. At the table I was kibitizing, the player with this hand bid 3NT, which had absolutely no play. The full hands were...

KQJxx
KTx
x
AJxx
xxx ATx
x Q8xx
AJTxxx xxx
Kxx Qxx
xx
AJ9xx
KQx
T9x

3NT had no play, just as Luis said when he rejected that bid. Richard suggested a penalty-oriented dbl of 3D, but for me, that would be takeout (responsive), not penalty).

It seems to me that PASS will get you to 4H's, because after you pass, partner will reopen with double and you will surely bid 4H. Also, 3H freebid sill get you to 4H's. I'm happy to see that noone here tried 3NT, that the well known gold star I was kibitizing bid.

As for me, what will I bid? 3H is not an option for me here, as that shows hearts AND Spades by a passed hand. So I am with Luis and Roland, and pass.

Ben

PS.. Hurricane ISABEL is now gone from the DC area... I lost power for 23 hours, 51 minutes, water for somewhere around 9 hours. We are now on a "boil water" alert until furhter notice.

If 3H in response shows spades and hearts would you be tempted to double with the north hand in case partner only has hearts?

Wayne
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#15 User is offline   Larry 

• Pip

Posted 2003-September-25, 17:55

I think one might make that 3NT contract... ::)

#16 User is offline   Larry 

• Pip

Posted 2003-September-25, 21:14

or no? :) hehe

#17 User is offline   sartaj1 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-September-26, 01:09

If i pass now, i will pass partner's reopening double.
Passing and bidding 4H is a partnership double-cross
(Never give partner a way out in 3M if he competes on distribution).

I dont like to double right now (showing values) because partner will hardly ever be inspired to pass it with x or xx in diamonds.

3H seems too unilateral and could easily force us to go minus when the hand belongs to us.

tough problem. I guess i pass .
At IMPS, its easier because one must act to get to the vulnerable game. I'd choose a double.

#18 User is offline   Codo 

Posted 2003-September-26, 02:26

Hi all,

nice hand. 3 NT was not the first chocie from "the panel". Some more questions here:

IF we pass, should pd double again?

If he does, shall we bid 4 Heart?

Should a direct 3 Heart call show more then xx in
spades?

If we double, what shall pd bid?

Kind Regards

Roland
Kind Regards

Roland

Page 1 of 1