BBO Discussion Forums: What's your plan with this 5-5? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's your plan with this 5-5? How good is it?

Poll: White vs Red, Imps. x AKQxx KQJxx xx. 1S P 1N ? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

White vs Red, Imps. x AKQxx KQJxx xx. 1S P 1N ?

1. 2[HE], planning to rebid 3[DI] (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

2. 2[SP], then pass 3[HE] and correct 3[CL] to 3[DI] (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

3. 2[SP], then raise 3[HE] to 4[HE] and correct 3[CL] to 3[DI] (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

4. 2[SP], then raise 3[HE] to 4[HE] and bid 3[HE] over 3[CL] (4 votes [23.53%])

5. 2[SP], then raise 3[HE] to 4[HE] and bid 3[SP] over 3[CL] (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

6. Other (4 votes [23.53%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   kfgauss 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-October-11, 09:38

White vs Red at Imps, you hold: x AKQxx KQJxx xx.

1S P 1N* ?

* forcing

You've agreed to play 2-suited bids as weak/strong and also that 3C is pass/correct, and 2NT asks for your minor in addition to your strength (for the weak type: 3C/D with a min weak hand, 3H/S with a max weak hand, corresponding minor).

Comment on the above treatment and whether you prefer 3C natural and 2NT just simply asking for your minor as well. Also comment if you think your choice of bids (or preferred treatments) would be different in this seat than in the direct seat over 1S.

Andy

#2 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-October-11, 09:42

I would start with 2S, I certainly have a "good" michaels. I would bid 4H over 3H and 4D over 3C (so other).

3C p/c makes sense after no club preempt or overcall.

In direct seat I'd play the same methods but there's more of an argument for 3C natural.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2005-October-11, 10:19

I like to add that 2N by partner followed by 3 correction of your 3 bid shows some values in : a hand that would accept a game try by a good michaels.

That allows 3 to be bid with no suggestion of values: say xxxx xxxx xx xxx could bid 3. Kxx Jxx xx Axxxx would bid 2N then 3.

Thus I would bid 2 and respect a 3 signoff but move to game if he used the 2-step to 3.

If not playing this method, I would force to game over 3: there is too much chance that partner will not have been aboe to evaluate accurately for me to risk playing 3.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2005-October-11, 10:25

2 michaels, followed by something to show my strong handtype.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-11, 19:29

I am gonna bid game by myself, ,starting with michaels

#6 User is offline   kfgauss 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-October-11, 23:47

mikeh, on Oct 11 2005, 04:19 PM, said:

I like to add that 2N by partner followed by 3 correction of your 3 bid shows some values in : a hand that would accept a game try by a good michaels.

That allows 3 to be bid with no suggestion of values: say xxxx xxxx xx xxx could bid 3. Kxx Jxx xx Axxxx would bid 2N then 3.

Thus I would bid 2 and respect a 3 signoff but move to game if he used the 2-step to 3.

If not playing this method, I would force to game over 3: there is too much chance that partner will not have been aboe to evaluate accurately for me to risk playing 3.

I don't understand your method. [I assume you play this with a 2NT bid just asking for the minor (ie not my 3C pass/correct, 2NT game try opposite weak hand treatment I described above).] The strong hand can't just bid 3m over 2NT, then, as partner may pass with lots of decent hands, right?

Maybe I've just figured it out: do you use 3C pass/correct as well, so that you only bid 2NT with:
[1] a minor suit signoff opposite big hands that aren't quite GF, which will then pass 3m (ie worse than a 3C p/c bid)
[2] a good 3H bid
[3] a hand that will continue after 3m (ie fairly strong, as partner may have the weak variety)
so that the "strong" hands are safe bidding 3m (unless they really are completely GF) knowing they'll only be left there by really bad hands?

Andy

#7 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-October-11, 23:59

FWIW I like to play 3D in this sequence as a good heart raise.

#8 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-October-12, 00:35

Bidding, whether constructive or destructive, is much more effective when the the two suits are known.

For that reason, I'd use 2N in this sequence for minors and 2S a Michael's. Not that the Michael's shows both suits but this allows 2N definition.

With this hand I'd bid 2S, which in itself shows a fairly powerful hand as I've committed our side to the 3-level with no known fit. I'd pass any non game bid by partner.

Winston
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users