• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BPO-006E

#21 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-October-07, 10:57

Mikeh recently wrote down his agreements for XYZ here on the forum and I really liked it. It only uses 2 of these four auctions for invitational hands (those starting with 2C).
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#22 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-07, 10:57

Of course there are different invites, but the difference between these sequences is what you have agreed them to be with your partner. I would be highly surprised if any expert would be confident of assuming any difference in meaning when playing with another pickup expert.
(Btw, 2NT definitely doesn't force 3 just because you play "2way nmf" -- this is not xyz.)

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#23 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-October-07, 10:58

Winstonm, on Oct 7 2005, 12:52 PM, said:

As usual, without discussion continuations are undefined.

I wonder if this is true. IF you agree to "Jacoby 2NT", does that mean all rebids are undefined? Of course not. Three level rebids are short. But the fuzzy area (without discussion) is waht are four level rebids... voids or second suits. Here, without discussion, you have to "guess" what your expert partner will take as "standard" (draw from you simple agreement to play jacoby).

While I prefer 4 level as second suit, if I agreed "jacoby" with no further discussion, I would interpret a four level response as a void. Same thing applies I would think with xyz. Without any other agreement, I would assume the convention the way it was written up most places where I have seen it. With jumps to three level forcing (even jump rebids). The fuzzy area seems to be jump 3 rebid. Some play 1x-1y-1Z-2NT as way to begin signoff in clubs. The logic of this is you can bid 2 and over partners forced 2 rebid 2NT with invite hand (at the risk of inviting some lead directing doubles). So that would be an area I would also like defined.

I am more than happy to dictate what the standard should be, because of course, I know how it REALLY should be play (I am always right, I am sure you have noticed).... :-) But somehow, trying to probe the area of expert agreement and draw a consensus seems better approach to me.

BTW Winston, in early 1980's I lived in Oklahoma City and played weekly iwht Fred Chen, didn't you live and play there then?

Ben
--Ben--

#24 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:01

Jlall, on Oct 7 2005, 11:54 AM, said:

hmm...all this talk about how we can invite...I wonder if I was the only one who considered this a 4S bid.

too many balanced 11-12 hcp hands will not make game.
Some 13 hcp balanced will not either.

#25 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:01

4 is a wild gamble with that shape in my opinion. There must be a way to involve partner in the decision. Isn't that what he is there for?

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#26 User is offline   Blofeld 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:mathematics, science fiction, Tolkien, go, fencing, word games, board games, bad puns, juggling, Mornington Crescent, philosophy, Tom Lehrer, rock climbing, jootsing, drinking tea, plotting to take over the world, croquet . . . and most other things, really.

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:03

4 was my first thought with this hand, but then I started constructing a few hands for partner, and decided that 4 was a bit much.

#27 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:06

A wild gamble? Even opposite a minimum with 2 small trumps such as xx Axxx Axx QJxx, not even an opening bid imo, game is fine red at imps. I don't care how much you involve partner, he will not bid a game with that hand and many others unless you force the issue.

#28 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:08

Jlall, on Oct 7 2005, 07:06 PM, said:

A wild gamble? Even opposite a minimum with 2 small trumps such as xx Axxx Axx QJxx, not even an opening bid imo, game is fine red at imps. I don't care how much you involve partner, he will not bid a game with that hand and many others unless you force the issue.

I didn't say that 4 doesn't make if you bid it directly, I described it as a wild gamble because it will go down much more often than not, even opposite a maximum 1NT rebid.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#29 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:08

[QUOTE](I am always right, I am sure you have noticed).... :-)

I've noticed that, Ben, and it's really starting to piss me off....means I'm always wrong. :D

Winston
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#30 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:12

BTW Winston, in early 1980's I lived in Oklahoma City and played weekly iwht Fred Chen, didn't you live and play there then?

Yes, I did.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#31 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:12

Walddk, on Oct 7 2005, 12:08 PM, said:

I didn't say that 4 doesn't make if you bid it directly, I described it as a wild gamble because it will go down much more often than not, even opposite a maximum 1NT rebid.

Roland

Ok, I don't think you are right but only a computer simulation would tell us. And even then, the advantage of auctions like 1C-1S-1N-4S is theyre often in the dark defending, so it will even make when it shouldn't sometimes.

Saying it will go down much more often than not on hands that partner would not accept an invite on seems more reasonable, and perhaps true. That is the crux of this problem.

#32 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:53

3 invitational for me, dont like the 7222 part
close to NMF but prefere to invite

#33 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-07, 12:03

Since we get a lot of 1NT rebids with a stiff S (at least on other threads anyway) Could the 3S bid be a request for 3NT with a stiff and pass with a mini and 4S with a doubleton S and a max? Seems like you can have your cake and eat it too....and the 2D then 3S bid might well be the slam try in S in 2-way NMF.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#34 User is offline   HeartA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-07, 12:43

I voted for 3. If xyz is included in the system, 3 would be my choice.
Senshu

#35 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2005-October-07, 13:05

I'd like to be in 4S for sure opposite:

xxx Axx xxx AQxx.

and maybe even opposite as little as

xxx Axx xxx AJxx.

This is a 4333 9-count, so obviously nobody can feel completely comfortable with an invite. Not considering a direct 4S is blindfold-bridge imo.

Of course, there are many 14-counts which give you 4 losers of the top. If I didn't think that partner could make a good decision over 3S then I would just blast to game. However, I do think that partner will know which cards are good and which are bad. So I invite. Like mikeh I expect partner to use any excuse to accept the invite.

- hrothgar

#36 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-October-07, 13:09

Hannie, on Oct 7 2005, 03:05 PM, said:

So I invite. Like mikeh I expect partner to use any excuse to accept the invite.

With multiple ways to invite, there SHOULD be a way to say, "BID 4 now unless you ahve a REALLY GREAT excuse not too...... " as well as a way to say, "IF you have just the right cards, bid 4"

You might be able to seperate between these two options with just 2C followed by 2 or 3. Or you might need one additional tweak, like 2NT forcing 3 then 3. But at the table, I think the 4 blaster was more right than the 2 signoff'er.
--Ben--

#37 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2005-October-07, 13:10

2S signoff? wow.

#38 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2005-October-07, 13:19

That is hard to believe. What was their NT range Ben?

- hrothgar

#39 User is offline   42 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music, Tango Argentino, bridge, cooking, languages, etc. :)

Posted 2005-October-07, 13:24

I voted also for 3. First impulse was to bid 4 but the shape was not thrilling.
With the partner with whom I play 2-way-check-back, 3 shows this hand. Slaminv. would go over 2.
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

#40 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2005-October-07, 13:34

A simple question - Marty Bergen wrote that when he and Cohen were a partnership he used 2C as the only forcing bid in 1 over 1 over 1 auctions. This sacrifices only 1 bid, the ability to play 2C with a weak club hand. I have yet to find a hand using this method where 2-way checkback improves the performance enough to sacrifice yet another natural bid. Can someone espouse on the benefits of 2-way over the Bergen method?

Winston

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users