Dealing with a very high level preempt...
#1
Posted 2003-September-04, 09:15
You hold
S-xx
H-K732
D-void
C-KQJ9865
Bidding...
Pard RHO You
1S 5D ??
What do you bid?
#2
Posted 2003-September-04, 09:25
I have a hand with 5 losers and a solid club suit so passing or doubling 5d are not options.
I'm bidding 6c expecting to make that maybe with an overtrick. If pd has a good hand and can bid over 6c -unlikely but not unreasonable under the cirunstances- I'll bid 7c.
#3
Posted 2003-September-04, 11:00
Peter
BTW Luis - I count 6 losers. Do you expect the 4th heart to score?
#4
Posted 2003-September-04, 11:06
I'm optimist
#5
Posted 2003-September-04, 13:12
#6
Posted 2003-September-04, 13:15
You can have 0 or 18 HCP in this auction and pd is expected to do what
with either his minimum 11HCP or superb 19HCP ?
I can already imagine the line in the CC:
"If we open the bidding we are in a forcing pass situation"
#7
Posted 2003-September-04, 15:38
This hand is from tournament where I played. I bidded 6CL too. Rado, who was my p, said that better is to pass and bid 6CL over his dbl, because here my pass will be forcing and i think he is right. If I bid directly 6CL he expect better support in SP. At table he bidded 6SP doubled and redoubled from him for -1000.
Misho
#8
Posted 2003-September-04, 15:49
#9
Posted 2003-September-04, 16:36
1) Would pass over 5D be forcing?
2) Is double takeout, penatly, or card showing
3) Should you simply bid 6C?
I will withhold my choice for a while, but anyone who has read Robson/Segal might guess what I would have bid here.
Ben
#10
Posted 2003-September-04, 17:09
Quote
1) Would pass over 5D be forcing?
2) Is double takeout, penatly, or card showing
3) Should you simply bid 6C?
I will withhold my choice for a while, but anyone who has read Robson/Segal might guess what I would have bid here.
Ben
Hi, Ben, I think the 1st question is not really a question, pass cant be forcing in this situation. You may have nothing in ur hand.
the second question is a big one. Dbl here has to be flexible. I think it should be card showing.
As for the 3rd question, I prefer to dbl rather than bid 6c directly. RHO preempt to 5d doesnt mean we will have slam. It is better to get +100 or +300 rather than -500 or -800. Sometimes you have to accept the fact. This is the reason why we preempt.
So my plan is to dbl first, if pd correct to 5s, then i will correct to 6c. If pd pass 5dx, i will be happy with it.
#11
Posted 2003-September-04, 17:21
Quote
I will just point out two things, still without giving my view yet. 1) Rado, Misho, and Free all say that PASS is forcing. You and Luis say that it is not. 3) This is point at least for discussing. Advantages/disavantages of such a treatment.
#12
Posted 2003-September-04, 17:26
Luis and Flytoox clearly think it is not. Rado, Misho and Ben clearly think it is. FWIW pd & I also play it as forcing.
What are the arguments for it to be forcing? Most times the 5D bid will be pre emptive. Playing pass as forcing gives you greater flexibility. You know have the option of passing and pulling the X to 6C, or of doubling immediately, or of bidding. An immediate x on this hand is clearly wrong. You have no defence and a strong offensive hand.
An interesting question is whether an immediate 6C shows S tolerance, or whether passing and then bidding 6C over a x shows S tolerance. I don't know the answer and guess it is up to partnership agreement. Any suggestions as to what is logical here?
Interestingly enough Marston and Burgess bid several '00 simulated hands where the opps bid high level pre empts over their 1 level openings. They concluded that a pass should be forcing.
#13
Posted 2003-September-04, 21:59
1. Why forcing pass after opps bid at 5 level over p opening? Because opening promisse 2+QT and opps most of time will not make their contract (exceptions only establish rules
2. Optional dbl - at this level it mean you have no void in opps suit. (Playing with Ben I must dbl for take out, even with less than void
3. Yes, as you know in my opinion. What is "enough support" at same level of competition is very unclear. But it is clear we will lose our possible 7CL/NT, if I pass or dbl and my LHO bid 6/7DI - now I will never can show my very long and good CL.
By the way, with my regular partners I play one simple and very usefull agreement ( A can be void in opps suit):
- Pass: 0 or 2A. Dbl from p mean if I have 0 A I must pass, if I have 2 - I must continue bidding.
- DBL: 1A - my bid in example.
- any other bid: 3A
Misho
#14
Posted 2003-September-05, 04:51
Quote
Luis and Flytoox clearly think it is not. Rado, Misho and Ben clearly think it is. FWIW pd & I also play it as forcing.
What are the arguments for it to be forcing? Most times the 5D bid will be pre emptive. Playing pass as forcing gives you greater flexibility. You know have the option of passing and pulling the X to 6C, or of doubling immediately, or of bidding. An immediate x on this hand is clearly wrong. You have no defence and a strong offensive hand.
An interesting question is whether an immediate 6C shows S tolerance, or whether passing and then bidding 6C over a x shows S tolerance. I don't know the answer and guess it is up to partnership agreement. Any suggestions as to what is logical here?
Interestingly enough Marston and Burgess bid several '00 simulated hands where the opps bid high level pre empts over their 1 level openings. They concluded that a pass should be forcing.
If LHO is a passed hand, I would agree pass is forcing. LHO may have a big hand in this case. The problme with playing pass as forcing here is that basically you have to dbl opp's 5 level prempt whatever you have.
However, if Interestingly enough Marston and Burgess bid several '00 simulated hands where the opps bid high level pre empts over their 1 level openings. They concluded that a pass should be forcing.
is true, I may change my mind.
#15
Posted 2003-September-05, 05:33
They did this before the last Bermuda Bowl they played together - was about 10 yars ago or so!
#16
Posted 2003-September-05, 05:36
Anyway I'm bidding 6c and I think that doesn't show spade tolerance.
#17
Posted 2003-September-05, 06:38
Ron stated that "Misho and Ben clearly think it is [pass is forcing]." This is not true. My comment about Rado and Misho and Free thinking pass was forcing was directed to the comment by flytool who addressed this issue commenting on the question if PASS was forcing by stating... "Hi, Ben, I think the 1st question is not really a question, pass cant be forcing in this situation." My comment was to express what Ron himself pointed out that some partnerships DO PLAY PASS as forcing. But not me, in this position my pass would not be forcing. Luis is closest to my view when he said that pass is "semi-forcing" and Misho got my position with this hand exactly right when he said "Playing with Ben I must dbl for take out, even with less than void."
The way I like to play doubles is that they are all for takeout if we have not found a fit. If I have a bunch of diamonds, I can pass this hand and wait for partner, who therefore will be short in diamonds, to reopen with a takeout double, which I then pass. This is why Luis is right, the pass is semi-forcing. If partner is short in diamonds he must take some action.
So the ways to treat the bid here are:
1) Pass is forcing and dbl is penatly
2) Pass is forcing and dbl is card showing
3) Pass is not forcing, and dbl is penatly
4) Pass is not forcing, and dbl is card showing
5) Pass is semi-forcing, and dlb is takeout
If pass is forcing, the right bid over 5D is pass, then pull the expected dbl to 6CLUBS. This denies spade support. Bid an immediate 6 clubs showing very nice clubs with spade tolerance. Some would play the pass followed by 6 clubs as showing first round diamond control and grand slam try, but at this level, finding the right strain is more important.
With this hand, I would (as misho pointed out), dbl. If partner bids 5 hearts, I will try to make 6 clubs. If partner bids 6 hearts he plays there. IF partner bids 5-SPADES, I join luis and others in 6 CLUBS. But the one advantage (or disadvantage) to the double is that if partner passes, we play 5 diamonds doubled.
This hand you catch your partner with nothing special...
S-AKJ542
H-Q86
D-A95
C-7
He would apply LOTT (figuring you for at most 2S for dbl, and likely 5 in the others) for an 8 card fit, and giving you likely 1 or 0 in diamonds for them to have 9 or 10 card fit. That is 18 tricks at most. If you can make 11 or 12 tricks, they will only make 6 or 7. The LAW will tell him to pass. 5Dx is down two. You can't make anything at the five level.
You need to discuss this kind of hand with your partner to know how you play it. The way I play it is straight out of Robson/Segal's Book "Partnership bidding" which is available in PDF format on the web. So anyone interested in examples and the like can find it in there. And note, the higher the level of the takeout double, the more likely partner will make a penalty pass.
Ben
#18
Posted 2003-September-08, 22:58
Encourage partner to bid on with a normal hand in the context of the auction,
or
Encourage partner to pass with a normal hand in the context of the auction.
These definitions are vague, as they must be. There is not enough room to bid hands scientifically and judgement (and luck) will play a large part.
To my mind at this level card showing and penalty double are more or less the the same things if by card showing we mean optional (or any of a number of other potentially confusing terms).
I believe that the issue of whether pass should be forcing or not is seperate. (Related to this issue is that of whether pass and pull partner's double is strong or weak).
This sets up six possible situations:
Pass nonforcing: x=TO or x=pen (R&S suggests 1st situation is preferable)
Pass forcing: x=TO (pass and pull strong or weak) or x=pen (pass and pull strong or weak) - I believe that R&S suggest that any of these methods is reasonable though I don't have the book to hand.
To my mind bidding 6C never guarantees spade tolerance. If I have spade tolerance then I bid either double (if it encourages partner to bid on), 5S (no other suit worth mentioning), 5NT (choice of slam, could be any two of three suits I guess) or 6D (?). I think these last two bids probably need defining more closely in terms of what they show and deny (any suggestions!).
In the problem at hand I bid 6C (unless I'm a forcing pass with pass and pull weak man, in which case I pass and pull to 6C).
#19
Posted 2003-September-09, 06:44
I want to take discuss three thing you wrote.
1) You suggested that pass then pull the partner's double can be out of weakness. If the bidding goes... 1y-(5D)-p-(p)-X.. and partner pulls, it should never really be out of weakness (assuming the dbl is penatly) . And if the double is takeout, then pulling just suggest a lawful decision to bid on rather than to defend.
2) While I do agree with you that a "card showing" and penalty double here are essentially the same thing. However, if pass is forcing, then the reopening double can not be in principle takeout (one of your options). This would be like anyother forcing pass situation, where the double then suggest more defense than offense. As an aside, I am CERTAIN that R&S, at least in their book, do not play this auction with forcing pass in place.
3) The interesting theoretical question is rather 6 Clubs on this auction shows a spade tolerance. You stated that "6C never guarantees spade tolerance". However, Rado (a system gold star) thought it did so much that he not only corrected to 6 Spades, but redoubled when he was doubled there. Misho (a reconginzed expert player) thought in highsight it should promise spades as well. And, I also thought that in the context of a forcing pass auction (which, BTW, I don't play here), it promises spade support. The reason goes back to if pass is forcing, with a hand without a spade fit, you pass, then pull partner's reopening double (or new suit bid) to 6 clubs. So the immediate action in this context shows a willingness to be overridden by parnter and taken back to spades. In this context, 6 clubs would be a "fit nonjump" to put it in R&S language. This seems the most logical and straight foward way to play this auction.
I, on the other hand, play dbl as takeout, and pass as not forcing. But even in my case, I play 6-CLUBS on this auction as showing a tolerance for spades. Why? With hearts and clubs, I double. With clubs and diamonds I pass, with clubs and spades I can bid clubs. This fit nonjump has worked well for me after lower preempts, although I have to admit it has not come up at the six level yet.
#20
Posted 2003-September-09, 10:15
Perhaps this issue of 5NT and bids of opponents suits at the 6 level would make a fruitful seperate posting.
(If pass is forcing the of course you have all these delayed 5NT and cuebid auctions aswell).
Ian

Help
