BBO Discussion Forums: Why do people play with bots? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why do people play with bots? Make your best guess

Poll: Why do people choose to play with bots rather than with humans? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do people choose to play with bots rather than with humans?

1. Bots are stronger than the usual random partner/opps (5 votes [10.64%])

Percentage of vote: 10.64%

2. Bots are never rude (7 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

3. Players are just curious to see how the bots play (22 votes [46.81%])

Percentage of vote: 46.81%

4. Bots don't get disconnected (1 votes [2.13%])

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

5. Other (12 votes [25.53%])

Percentage of vote: 25.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-September-12, 23:15

We sometimes see a lot of tables in the MBC that have at least one GIB seated.

Why do you think this is ? Isnt the whole point of online bridge to meet friendly strangers, blah blah ?

I'm just hoping for more theories on why this is the case -- hence this poll. I have no agenda beyond curiosity and perhaps a desire to fix whatever it is that drives humans to the robots.

#2 User is offline   BurnKryten 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:soccer, bridge, chess

Posted 2005-September-12, 23:26

One thought that occurs - some may fear the embarassment of making a mistake among people. Perhaps they are using the bots to practice, and hopefully avoid later mistakes when playing with real people.

#3 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2005-September-12, 23:41

Good to practise partnership bidding on, and a lot better than average random opp. I like human partners though.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#4 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-September-12, 23:56

1) Much better than random opps.
2) Much faster, especially when claims are made.
3) No silly post morteming...
4) You can begin a game and leave a game at your leisure, without having to worry about others.
5) For those who sometimes get in trouble for their big mouths, GIB is an ideal opp. He will not report you.

#5 User is offline   Brandal 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-September-13, 03:08

uday, on Sep 13 2005, 12:15 AM, said:

We sometimes see a lot of tables in the MBC that have at least one GIB seated.

Why do you think this is ? Isnt the whole point of online bridge to meet friendly strangers, blah blah ?

I'm just hoping for more theories on why this is the case -- hence this poll. I have no agenda beyond curiosity and perhaps a desire to fix whatever it is that drives humans to the robots.

With 3 Gibs....practicing declarer/defense play?

With 2 Gibs....practicing partnership stuff?

With 1 Gib.....no idea
"Never argue with fools, they'll drag you down to their level, and then, beat you with experience"

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-13, 03:17

It is mainly two humans against two bots, right?

1) Bots are faster
2) You can discuss bidding with your partner, bots will not complain about UI
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   rona_ 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-13, 04:16

[QUOTE]Why do you think this is ? Isnt the whole point of online bridge to meet friendly strangers, blah blah ? [QUOTE]

1 bot:

50% of main bridge club players don't say hello when they sit at a table. They are usually the ones to leave in the middle of the hand without a word, and also the ones that don't respond to their partner's questions about their carding or system. Bots might not say Hi but they can't leave the table, and they answer all questions. :). So if 3 friends want to have a game it makes perfect sense, to me, to have a GIB as a fourth.

2 bots: Practise bidding or defence with partner.

3 bots: No time to get into a game but would like to play a few hands.

4 bots: :)

#8 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2005-September-13, 05:21

How about several/all of the above.

If the people I play with/against regularly aren't available, and I really want to play, I used to use the "find me a game" option. Far too often the people playing there were silent throughout, and never answered any of my questions. So I decided I might as well play against GIBs. At least they don't respond to my bids with ????????????????????????

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2005-September-13, 06:20

I sometimes play with my f2f partner and 2 GIBs. It's because of the non-natural bids that many people abbandon our table too much, and also to practice our defensive carding since we can improve most in that area.

But whenever someone suggests to play against us with his partner, we're on ofcourse, since the GIBs can't handle our system pretty well...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#10 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-13, 07:40

BurnKryten, on Sep 13 2005, 05:26 AM, said:

One thought that occurs - some may fear the embarassment of making a mistake among people. Perhaps they are using the bots to practice, and hopefully avoid later mistakes when playing with real people.

I think there is a lot to this. We get a lot of comments like this from people who buy our educational programs. One of the reasons they enjoy them is because they can learn at their own pace and not worry being criticized when they make a mistake.

It sounds like by "embarassment" you are referring to embarassment caused my poor bridge decisions, but there is another kind of embarassment that I think is relevent: embarssment at not being familiar with the software.

Probably there are some newish BBO members who prefer to become familiar with the software without have to worry about their unfamiliarity with BBO impacting the experience of other humans.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#11 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-13, 08:03

now for a totally different view.

I think people play with Bots beacause, it is free and it is a novelty,when you start charging for GIB, the demand will drop off.

I think someone playing against 3 bots will cease.
I think 2 people playing against 2 bots will reduce dramatically.
I think the is a subbltle difference between GIB, Bridgemaster and something like ML's 2/1 workbook.
I think it is a lot more embarassing being seen playing with yourself online with a mechanical device than it is having people watch you make mistakes.

People make the game fun, not Robots, Exterminate them,Exterminate them, Exterminateeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

#12 User is offline   julie5607 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-13, 09:02

Playing one person with three bots is like playing solitaire, it's a good way to kill a few minutes and you can come and go as you please, or, if not playing dupe, redeal hands that aren't "yours" and just generally amuse yourself until your bot pard becomes too frustrating to stand.

Playing with your partner against two bots is a good way to practice and discuss real life bridge situations as they come up without offending opponents with table talk. One of the reasons bot results are so skewed is because this is a perfect opportunity to "cheat" - i.e. "gee pard is that forcing?" or "did we decide to play the newer version of this or the old version". Personally I think this is the best use of those games so clearly I don't have a problem with the open talk - I just think that bot results should always be kept seperate from human only games.

I always assume that people playing with three live players and one bot are killing some time while waiting for the fourth to finish walking the dog or folding the laundry, with the bot taking that seat to keep the flow going during a fairly prolonged brb.

Any of these uses for bots are completely optional and, except for situation 2, really don't bring a whole lot of value worth paying for unless it is cheap and you just plain enjoy bot availablity.

To my mind the real value of the bots is using them at the bidding tables - being able to practice competitive bidding and see the real hands afterward has true value as a training tool, and that, for me, is worth paying for.

Julie

#13 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-September-13, 09:20

sceptic, on Sep 13 2005, 09:03 AM, said:

People make the game fun, not Robots

This is true for most people. I do not consider myself really anti-social, just sometimes, but for me what makes bridge great is the game itself. The game is just so great on so many levels, and that is what I love. I do have friends who I like to play with just to screw around with, but in general what makes bridge fun for me is bridge itself. This will sound snobby, and I hope it doesn't, but I feel I can enjoy the game more against a gib than against some random person that I don't know that keeps rejecting my claims and making absurd bids/plays/comments. To each his own, GIB is just an added resource.

#14 User is offline   rona_ 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-13, 09:34

I think it is a lot more embarassing being seen playing with yourself online with a mechanical device than it is having people watch you make mistakes.

I have to agree with that: :)

#15 User is offline   ack_hh 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:carrots, bees, and PCs :)

Posted 2005-September-13, 09:36

Why do play bots with humans? :)
I usually open with 13 cards

#16 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-13, 09:48

Brandal, on Sep 13 2005, 01:08 AM, said:

With 1 Gib.....no idea

Maybe if its a really cute bot. :) :)
"Phil" on BBO

#17 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2005-September-13, 10:34

This a.m. I had my usual 20 minutes to play and my 2/1 pick-up pard (advanced) passed after 1S-p-2C-2H-2S-p-......he held x,xx,Axxx,AKxxxx. I politely suggested bidding 1NT forcing if he wanted to not have to go to game opposite a misfit/minimum and he replied "Each hand is it's own special case." I left the table at the end of the hand. Having 5 min I opened a table and played against 3 bots to see what they could do. They bid briskly to 3NT and then both the declarer and defender (BOT)ched (wherein the name perhaps... :) ) the play of the cards.

My initial question was answered and I will perhaps return to kibbitzing when I only have a few minutes to spare.

The game is the thing and rightfully, people inspire it to the heights and depths of its unlimited potential. Wise choice of partners and opps is the only true area of expertise required.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#18 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-13, 10:35

Jlall, on Sep 13 2005, 10:20 AM, said:

sceptic, on Sep 13 2005, 09:03 AM, said:

People make the game fun, not Robots

This is true for most people. I do not consider myself really anti-social, just sometimes, but for me what makes bridge great is the game itself. The game is just so great on so many levels, and that is what I love. I do have friends who I like to play with just to screw around with, but in general what makes bridge fun for me is bridge itself. This will sound snobby, and I hope it doesn't, but I feel I can enjoy the game more against a gib than against some random person that I don't know that keeps rejecting my claims and making absurd bids/plays/comments. To each his own, GIB is just an added resource.

I tend to agree with JLall on this...I like to practice different bidding things against GIBS, and usually GIBS kick my butt when i practice this stuff.

Now if GIB starts chatting that what a stupid bid, I dont know what ill do :)

#19 User is offline   asdfg2k 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-13, 11:38

One other advantage of bots is that they don't complain when the pace of play is "uneven". If I find myself doing something that requires my full attention in spurts, but not continuously, I can play with 3 bots and not feel guilty about having to stop for 30 seconds, or even 5 minutes, before deciding what to play to the next trick.

#20 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-13, 11:45

Sometimes when I am playing with humans I will get stumped on a decision, think for a minute, not come up with a satisfactory solution, but play a card anyway because I feel pressured into it as it would be rude to delay the opponents for too long. This issue doesnt arise with Gibs. I am also free to take a break to get a drink, speak on the phone etc. whenever I please. I can skip uninteresting boards, never have to be dummy etc.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users