Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NT Open

#1 User is offline   Jstroke 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-March-18, 04:39

I have several books that say this hand should be opened 1D.  But some inet sites suggest opening 1N with 2 doubletons when they contain an honor.  What do you think? 15-17 NT range.  sayc or 2/1

You deal NV vs NV
AK87
KT
AQTxx
Jx

#2 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-March-18, 04:59

Jx is too light - not a stopper at all.  Make it Kx (and reduce HCP elsewhere so the hand is 17) and 1NT is fine, imo.

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-March-18, 06:17

I have several books that say this hand should be opened 1D.  But some inet sites suggest opening 1N with 2 doubletons when they contain an honor.  What do you think? 15-17 NT range.  sayc or 2/1

You deal NV vs NV
AK87
KT
AQTxx
Jx

The deciding factor should be the easiness of your rebid (which 5-4 suits you hold). With 5C and 4S, I almost never open 1NT, for I anticipate an easy Spade rebid. With this hand, I would also open 1D, for you have no rebid problems over partner's most likely actions, thus,

1D-1H-1S
1D-1S-3S
1D-2C-2N (or 2S)
1D-1N-2N (partner surely has clubs)

Change the hand to:
Jx
AK87
AQTxx
KT

And what do you bid over 1S by partner? 1NT, a huge underbid. 3D on five,  yuck. A reverse to 2H, I think you are not strong enough. So I would open 1NT.

Change the hand one more time to:

KT
AK87
AQTxx
Jx

I will open 1D, and if partner bids 1S, I will risk the reverse, given that my SPADE K-T holding is more valuable in support of partners suit than the Jx I gave myself earlier.  But if you think over a 1S response, this hand still isn't worth a 2H reverse, then you would have to open 1NT (IMHO).
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2003-March-18, 08:26

I'd open 1D--I prefer more classic shapes when opening NT and I do have values for a reverse unless pard's dead broke. I normally don't open NT with two doubletons even if they are good ones.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-March-18, 12:16

The concept that one needs a stopper in all suits to open 1NT is long dead. In this case you have the boss suit, so I would open 1D. Swap the H and S suits and 1NT is more attractive. 5-4 in the minors is more attractive again for a 1NT opening as this is more pre emptive
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   pkl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-March-22, 13:22

I do not mind opening 1NT on a 5-4-2-2 or 6-3-2-2 distribution. On the actual hand where the 4-card suit, i would never do it, though, as there are no problems with the rebid.
Changing the majors - making the hand 2-4-5-2 - would still not let me open 1NT. In spite of its 17-point count, the hand is simply to good and i would treat it as an 18-19 count.

Kind regards
Peter

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-March-23, 10:58

You deal NV vs NV
AK87
KT
AQTxx
Jx

I see nothing wrong with opening the occasional 4252 shape with a 1NT opening bid, however, the hand in question is too strong for a 15-17 NT.

Holding 5 losers/6 controls/11 slam points, this hand is easily worth reversing in spades.

For me to open a 15-17 NT with a 4252 hand, I'd want to be holding something like

A6
AQJTx
K3
Alderaan delenda est

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users