• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

cards disappearing quickly

#1 User is offline   DLeigh 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-13, 12:32

Hi! I am relatively new to BBO, and so is my partner. We just realized that we are seeing our screens differently. On my screen, when a trick is being played the cards stay on the screen until the first card from the next trick is played. On my partner's screen, after a trick is played the cards disappear immediately after all 4 cards have been played. We have connected on the phone, and for certain, his cards disappear long before mine do, so he sometimes doesn't have time to register which cards have been played. We have searched settings, but can't seem to find anything to adjust this. Will someone please help us figure out how to set his settings so that he has the cards remain longer? Thank you!

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-15, 10:09

I don't know of any setting for this.

If you want to review the previous trick, just click on the quitted tricks, where it shows the number of tricks taken by each side. You can do this until you've played to the next trick.

#3 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2020-June-16, 20:34

Are you certain settings for both of you are exactly the same? Including pictures of cards yes or no?

Same web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, Safari, other) running standard version 3 of BBO?

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-17, 01:02

This may be a 'feature' of the version that you use. When I play in Prime, and my partner the North robot is Declarer the result appears in the History at about Trick 6. It turns out that the same thing happens with my Bridge teacher who uses the older faster Flash version. He gets the result faster than me - not just because he's 100X better at Bridge than me Posted Image. You only see this in Prime (or playing with a partner side-by-side because, in Prime, the robot will declare if it wins the contract. And of course, in space, no-one can hear you scream.
This means that your problems should be resolved in January 2021 when Flash is gone. It also means that you have a 5-second advantage over other players. Keep that quiet. Clearly, this would be a problem if using computers in FTF competition at a club. The delay is clearly noticeable as you point out.
Unless there is another explanation that I am unaware of.

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-17, 09:53

Does turning animation on and off make a difference?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-17, 14:00

It's hard to be categorical, but I think I have always seen the cards remain until the next trick is played to. I have only played tournaments and very occasionally at a table however.

View PostVampyr, on 2020-June-17, 09:53, said:

Does turning animation on and off make a difference?

In my experience that setting makes little or no difference anyway - perhaps because I do not play with a table of robots. Not that I have any complaint about animation, which in HTML5 was slow and jerky at first but now quite acceptable.

The setting I would like to see is 'Show plays to trick only when RHO plays', which would make life easier for both programmers and ethical players alike :)

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-June-17, 14:39

View Postpescetom, on 2020-June-17, 14:00, said:

It's hard to be categorical, but I think I have always seen the cards remain until the next trick is played to. I have only played tournaments and very occasionally at a table however.

In my experience that setting makes little or no difference anyway - perhaps because I do not play with a table of robots. Not that I have any complaint about animation, which in HTML5 was slow and jerky at first but now quite acceptable.

The setting I would like to see is 'Show plays to trick only when RHO plays', which would make life easier for both programmers and ethical players alike :)

What do robots have to do with animation? Can some people see the robots? Do they do a little dance?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-June-17, 15:03

View PostVampyr, on 2020-June-17, 14:39, said:

What do robots have to do with animation? Can some people see the robots? Do they do a little dance?

I almost never play with more than one at once so have little idea. But I can imagine that (as pilowsky implied) when playing with three basic robots who respond in total 3 milliseconds then things may well look quite different with and without animation. If the setting exists it probably has a reason.

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-June-17, 17:36

View Postpescetom, on 2020-June-17, 15:03, said:

I almost never play with more than one at once so have little idea. But I can imagine that (as pilowsky implied) when playing with three basic robots who respond in total 3 milliseconds then things may well look quite different with and without animation. If the setting exists it probably has a reason.

I don’t think the OP was talking about playing with robots.

#10 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-17, 18:57

You are correct. It is not the robots that make the difference. Different operating systems work at different speeds. Given the large number of hands being played simultaneously, this can make a difference. In the world of high finance even nanoseconds matter. Michael Lewis in one of his books describes how Traders in New York would fight to have their computers closest to the main server so that their trades would be completed fastest. This enabled them to make a lot of money at the margins. And we think we have problems!

#11 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-June-18, 10:24

One odd thought - the cards stay on the table until the next lead, or until you click on the table/played cards. It could be that some are doing that almost instinctively.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#12 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-June-18, 13:47

View Postmycroft, on 2020-June-18, 10:24, said:

One odd thought - the cards stay on the table until the next lead, or until you click on the table/played cards. It could be that some are doing that almost instinctively.

That makes a lot more sense than the preceding post.
Some people have ingrained habits that they are almost unaware of.

#13 User is offline   DLeigh 

• Pip

Posted 2020-June-28, 08:48

View Postmycroft, on 2020-June-18, 10:24, said:

Ha! This was what was happening -

Appreciate your help! He was clicking reflexively on the screen after a trick.

Problem solved. - Thank you!!

#14 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-June-28, 15:55

Great! good to know.

Remember also that until he plays a card to the next trick, he can click on the trick count on the left to see the previous trick again, in case the "habit" is hard to break.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#15 User is offline   mselle 

• Pip

Posted 2020-November-19, 03:12

View Postmycroft, on 2020-June-28, 15:55, said:

Great! good to know.

Remember also that until he plays a card to the next trick, he can click on the trick count on the left to see the previous trick again, in case the "habit" is hard to break.

New to bridge and BBO and recently started playing with friends using Whatsapp phone connections whikst playing. It would be a great help as part of our learning if when a game is finished we could all clearly see the cards on the table to discuss our bids with each other when one of us were uncertain of our bid. Is there a setting to allow us to leave the cards displayed for longer before starting the next deal? Thank you.

#16 User is offline   mselle 

• Pip

Posted 2020-November-19, 03:16

View Postbarmar, on 2020-June-15, 10:09, said:

I don't know of any setting for this.

If you want to review the previous trick, just click on the quitted tricks, where it shows the number of tricks taken by each side. You can do this until you've played to the next trick.

#17 User is offline   mselle 

• Pip

Posted 2020-November-19, 03:21

Can any one please advise if we can adjust timing in order that when a game is finished the cards stay longer on the table to allow us to discuss our bids particularly when one of us was not sure we were in the right contract - we are learning and it would be a great help to be able to review our hands from the table as opposed to the smaller screen in 'history' . As soon as the game finishes the Hands quickly display and then disappear - would just like a couple of minutes to review.

#18 User is offline   mselle 

• Pip

Posted 2020-November-19, 08:22

Looking for a setting to leave all the cards at the end of a game on the table in order to let us discuss our bids as a learning exercise. Is there a way to do this ?

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-November-19, 08:57

View Postmselle, on 2020-November-19, 08:22, said:

Looking for a setting to leave all the cards at the end of a game on the table in order to let us discuss our bids as a learning exercise. Is there a way to do this ?

You commented that the hands in the “history” tab are too small, but I think there is a way to maximise them. I am not sure how though.

#20 User is offline   mselle 

• Pip

Posted 2020-November-20, 07:25

View Postmycroft, on 2020-June-28, 15:55, said:

Great! good to know.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users