BBO Discussion Forums: Software to capture deals printed on paper? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Software to capture deals printed on paper? Is there character-recognition software that recognises suit symbols?

#1 User is offline   EzioBridge 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-January-15, 03:49

Hi,
This isn't a question about the BBO software specifically, but I wanted to ask whether anyone here knew of any software that was able to capture (by taking a photo) deals/hands printed on paper and - presumably using character-recognition technology - turn them into some sort of Bridge hand format file?

For example, I've access to a lot of old Bridge hand records (printed paper copies - not handwritten, but 'typed'), many of which provide good 'practice hands' for learners to play (either 'real', or against a robot). I'd love to be able to capture many of these hands into a standard file format that I could then use to either pass to a mechanical 'Bridge Dealing Machine' or possibly (if it were possible), upload to allow play against a robot.
The Bridge hand records are formatted in the standard North, East, South, West format, with each hand showing, obviously, Spades, Hearts,Diamonds, Clubs.

I've tried using quite a few standard image->text scanning apps, and none seem to recognise the suit symbols.
Thanks for any pointers or advice.
Ezio

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-January-15, 11:05

You could try sending email to the editors of bridge magazines, like Bridge World or the ACBL Bulletin. It seems like they would be most in need of software like this.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-15, 11:16

I've looked for such a solution without success, but good luck.

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-January-15, 18:08

MATLAB + Image Processing Toolbox will do this, but the learning curve is going to be steep
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   EzioBridge 

• Pip

Posted 2020-January-17, 11:41

Thanks for the replies (even the 'negative' one, because it's good to know others too have searched thoroughly and been unsuccessful).
Thanks for the idea of MATLAB too. If/when I have time, I'd like to pursue that.

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-January-17, 12:43

View PostEzioBridge, on 2020-January-17, 11:41, said:

Thanks for the replies (even the 'negative' one, because it's good to know others too have searched thoroughly and been unsuccessful).
Thanks for the idea of MATLAB too. If/when I have time, I'd like to pursue that.

On the MATLAB front:

1. The MathWorks now sells home licenses for a fairly trivial amount

2. If you decide that you want to go down this route, I have a bunch of friends who work at The MathWorks (including the product manager for Image Processing Toolbox).

It SHOULD be easy enough to get symbols like and the like added to the Optical Character Recognition dictionary and have them map to some text string.
I can probably get someone to throw together some demo code if I call in a favor...
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   Tommah 

• Pip

Posted 2020-July-05, 14:07

I recently started writing software to do this. If you have deals that you want to convert, send me a message and we can discuss it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users