BBO Discussion Forums: In which situations can the defenders confer over a ruling? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

In which situations can the defenders confer over a ruling?

#61 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-December-08, 09:56

View Postaxman, on 2019-December-08, 09:28, said:

Don't know what your antecedents are. It is notable that if by some route that the OLOOT is rejected 57C3 makes it clear that the subsequent OOT play performs the function of lead. It also is notable that knowing both of declaring side's cards the only possible gain to the defenders to rejecting the lead is when it is important to declarer's RHO which card the LHO plays first.

Law 57C3 says "a premature play(not a lead) by declarer"

The effect of this is that when Declarer plays to a trick before his RHO and the lead to that trick was made by LHO or Dummy then Declarer's play may not be withdrawn regardless of which card RHO eventually plays to that trick.

However, if this play by Declarer is actually a lead, as is the case when Dummy's LOOT is withdrawn, then Law57C3 explicitly does not apply.

#62 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-08, 16:12

View Postpran, on 2019-December-08, 09:56, said:

Law 57C3 says "a premature play(not a lead) by declarer"

The effect of this is that when Declarer plays to a trick before his RHO and the lead to that trick was made by LHO or Dummy then Declarer's play may not be withdrawn regardless of which card RHO eventually plays to that trick.

However, if this play by Declarer is actually a lead, as is the case when Dummy's LOOT is withdrawn, then Law57C3 explicitly does not apply.

Yes, when it is not withdrawn, declarer’s card is not a lead.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#63 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-December-09, 21:15

View Postblackshoe, on 2019-December-07, 13:43, said:

Declarer leads from dummy. "You're in your hand" from one or both defenders. What is this? It's simply calling attention to an irregularity (lead out of turn from dummy).

While that's a correct literal interpretation, in my experience the intent of the speaker is usually that they don't accept the LOOT, unless they quickly amend it with something like "But I accept the lead".

#64 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-10, 00:59

IMO, if a defender says "you're in your hand" or the like to declarer, somebody should call the director. If a defender not next to play says "I accept the lead" his partner should play to the trick. If a defender next to play says "I do not accept the lead", dummy should put the card for which declarer called back amongst the yet-to-be-played cards, and declarer should lead from his hand. If dummy, after declarer calls for a card from dummy, says "you're in your hand", somebody should call the director.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users