BBO Discussion Forums: UI from another table - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UI from another table

#21 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2019-June-19, 10:03

View PostVampyr, on 2019-June-16, 19:21, said:

Maybe you are using the same number of boards as we use here? I can’t figure it out LOL. You can, of course accommodate numbers or teams (or pairs) that aren’t multiples of 4 if you just pass the boards along rather than have a sharing arrangement.

But I am still curious about what a “Dupli-Swiss” is!

“Dupli-Swiss” is a common USA term for a Swiss where all matches each round use the same boards.

For my 24 table example, another method which I prefer is to treat my 12 tables A1 through A12 as a 12-table Mitchell pair game section starting with two boards on each table (1-2,3-4,5-6,7-8,1-2,3-4,5-6,7-8,1-2,3-4,5-6,7-8) with boards passed to the next lower table until all eight boards are completed. Similar for the “B” tables.

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-June-20, 15:53

I suspect that the term arose because even long after duplicated boards were common for pairs games, teams still hand dealt at the start of each match. I think this is partly due to ACBLScore having problems with pre-duped boards in team events.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-20, 18:50

View PostBudH, on 2019-June-19, 10:03, said:

“Dupli-Swiss” is a common USA term for a Swiss where all matches each round use the same boards.

Oh, OK. This is normal everywhere else in the world, so doesn’t have a special name. And of course it goes without saying that if by Swiss you mean Swiss Pairs, it goes without saying that everyone plays the same boards.

Anyway, an advantage of using duplicated boards is that you can score by IMPs (generally converted to Victory Points) rather than win/loss. This can result in more accurate pairings.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-25, 08:51

View Postblackshoe, on 2019-June-20, 15:53, said:

I suspect that the term arose because even long after duplicated boards were common for pairs games, teams still hand dealt at the start of each match. I think this is partly due to ACBLScore having problems with pre-duped boards in team events.

What? ACBLscore doesn't care whether the boards are hand-dealt or preduplicated. ACBLscore does not (currently) work well with Bridgemates for Swiss teams, but this has nothing to do with how the boards are dealt.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#25 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-25, 10:46

View PostCoelacanth, on 2019-June-25, 08:51, said:

What? ACBLscore doesn't care whether the boards are hand-dealt or preduplicated. ACBLscore does not (currently) work well with Bridgemates for Swiss teams, but this has nothing to do with how the boards are dealt.

But possibly with whether the program in question includes facilities for importing files describing the boards?

Commonly used today are files in formats like (but not limited to) .BRI, .DLM and .DUP

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-25, 17:27

Yeah, I mistyped. Call the director. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2019-June-25, 20:55

ACBLscore and Bridgmates do not “get along” well when running team events!

A week from today, I’ll be using for the first time running a club DupliSwiss Ping Hu’s BridgeTD program which serves as a “bridge” (pun intended) between ACBLscire and the Bridgemate software. Our local sectional’s Sunday DupliSwiss in early August will use the same software.

#28 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-June-26, 12:36

View Postpran, on 2019-June-25, 10:46, said:

But possibly with whether the program in question includes facilities for importing files describing the boards?

Commonly used today are files in formats like (but not limited to) .BRI, .DLM and .DUP

I don't think ACBLScore ever needs to deal with hands. All it knows about are players, movements (which pairs play which board numbers), and scores.

The programs that deal with hand records are separate from ACBLScore.

#29 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2019-June-26, 14:33

View Postbarmar, on 2019-June-26, 12:36, said:

I don't think ACBLScore ever needs to deal with hands. All it knows about are players, movements (which pairs play which board numbers), and scores.

The programs that deal with hand records are separate from ACBLScore.

Do they not provide board diagrams together with the results?
(This is a matter of course here)

#30 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-June-28, 08:26

View Postpran, on 2019-June-26, 14:33, said:

Do they not provide board diagrams together with the results?
(This is a matter of course here)

No. Here's a typical recap from ACBLScore

http://web.mit.edu/m...19/19-06-25.rcp

Results that include board diagrams are produced from other software independent of ACBLScore. Most often these days it's the result file from the electronic scoring device management software. Or the results from ACBLScore can be merged with the hand records from BridgeComposer that were used for dealing.

#31 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2019-June-28, 08:48

View Postbarmar, on 2019-June-28, 08:26, said:

No. Here's a typical recap from ACBLScore

http://web.mit.edu/m...19/19-06-25.rcp

Oh dear, who can bear digesting that kind of a report?
Here is a typical of our reports, this particular one is from a local social event:
Results (in Norwegian)

#32 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-June-28, 09:19

View Postpran, on 2019-June-28, 08:48, said:

Oh dear, who can bear digesting that kind of a report?
Here is a typical of our reports, this particular one is from a local social event:
Results (in Norwegian)

And most clubs do produce better reports. They just don't come from ACBLScore, they come from the deal generation software.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users