• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 or 6 hand Reign in the bots bidding

#1 User is offline   sacto123 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-June-06, 14:29

My link

This has happened to me several times when playing instant tournaments with bots:

I want to play 5 clubs. If I bid 4 clubs I will be left there. If I bid 5 clubs, the bot will raise to 6. Luckily, this usually only results in minus 1 or two IMPs because others have suffered the same fate. How do I get to play 5 clubs on a hand like this?

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-June-06, 15:32

First, this isn't the only time bids show way more than is realistic. And to be frank BBO should be embarrassed by this.

Opposite this type of hand you don't want to play in 5 unless you have to.
You have a running suit so if all suits stopped you are pretty good for 9 tricks.
Should bid 3 which shows a stopper. Gib will hopefully bid 3 or 3N with a stopper. Then 3N is sign-off.

This limit jump shifts Gib just started using them, so I don't know what their responses I am just going by what is standard.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-June-06, 15:45

Also, I believe 4 should be a slam try and forcing.
Why invite to 5 without checking for 3NT first?
If you can make 5 then 6 might be there but you probably need to investigate and 4 would be one way.
Going to 6 over 5 is just silly on what is a minimum balanced hand for Gib's bidding.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   sacto123 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-June-06, 21:52

View Postsacto123, on 2019-June-06, 14:29, said:

My link

This has happened to me several times when playing instant tournaments with bots:

I want to play 5 clubs. If I bid 4 clubs I will be left there. If I bid 5 clubs, the bot will raise to 6. Luckily, this usually only results in minus 1 or two IMPs because others have suffered the same fate. How do I get to play 5 clubs on a hand like this?

Thanks for the insight. I should have thought about the possibility of a NT game. A simple q of 3D would have landed me in an unbeatable 3nt for all the IMPS. Most of the others who played this hand were fixated on clubs, as was I. No declarer scored a game on this hand. You have reminded me to pause and think of all the possibilities.

#5 User is offline   sacto123 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-June-07, 10:00

View Poststeve2005, on 2019-June-06, 15:32, said:

First, this isn't the only time bids show way more than is realistic. And to be frank BBO should be embarrassed by this.

Opposite this type of hand you don't want to play in 5 unless you have to.
You have a running suit so if all suits stopped you are pretty good for 9 tricks.
Should bid 3 which shows a stopper. Gib will hopefully bid 3 or 3N with a stopper. Then 3N is sign-off.

This limit jump shifts Gib just started using them, so I don't know what their responses I am just going by what is standard.

3D is not forcing over the limit JS, so there is no way to explore on this hand. Two people who played this hand did bid 3D and GIB show preference to spades rather than showing the heart stopper. 5 clubs looks like an easy make, 6 if GIB has an ace. Blackwood solves this. Be glad GIB does not play 1430.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users